Page 33 of 214 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 2133

Thread: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed[W:1581]

  1. #321
    A grand violation

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,638

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Once again, I'm struck by what the **** is going on in America these days. It's as if there's been a collective brain cramp.

    Don't people in America understand that bigotry in the name of religion is why the world has the Middle East and ISIS?
    The flaw in your thinking is you assume those religious people recognize what they're doing as "bigotry." Everybody can rationalize their own particular brand of bigotry, and it's never referred to as "bigotry." Here in America, it's "religious freedom."

  2. #322
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,587

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Orwell would be proud of how the right wing has redefined "tolerance" and "bigotry." In this era of newspeak, George Wallace was an intolerant bigot, and so were those on the ground working for civil rights for blacks in the South. The murdered civil rights workers were intolerant of white supremacists and enforced second class status for blacks, and so bigots same as their murderers. Etc.
    This has nothing to do with right wing or left wing (well left wing it does). that is a dictionary definition. I am sorry if you don't like what the DICTIONARY has to say about it.
    it has nothing to do with me or the right wing, but people like you attempting to change the definition of a word because you don't like it.

    Of course, that's insane. In this Orwellian era, this sentence would in fact have no meaning - "My boss is a bigot" and this would be a perfectly normal sentence - "I just love my boss because he's such a kind, understanding, intolerant, bigoted man." In reality, of course, intolerant and bigot have accepted meanings, and any literate person reading the first sentence KNOWS what kind of person it describes (in short, an a$$hole who does NOT preside over a rainbow workforce or welcome anyone who doesn't believe as he does), and would be scratching their head over the second because it makes no sense at all.
    It makes perfect sense if you adhere to grammar. if you say that you are tolerant yet spew hate and vile at those that have a different opinion than you then you are not the tolerant person you claim to be. please see the definition.

    Such as me. I am not a tolerant person on certain things. I don't accept every opinion I hear.
    I am willing to hear or listen but unlike tolerant people I have the ability to reject and or refute things and not accept their opinion as fact.

    I am sorry you don't like the definition of tolerance but that is what tolerance means according to the dictionary and you don't get to change the narrative because you don't like the fact you are not as tolerant as you claim to be.

  3. #323
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,587

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The flaw in your thinking is you assume those religious people recognize what they're doing as "bigotry." Everybody can rationalize their own particular brand of bigotry, and it's never referred to as "bigotry." Here in America, it's "religious freedom."
    and people that don't like religious view points are just as bigoted. interesting.
    yet they don't seem to realize it.

  4. #324
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,771

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The flaw in your thinking is you assume those religious people recognize what they're doing as "bigotry." Everybody can rationalize their own particular brand of bigotry, and it's never referred to as "bigotry." Here in America, it's "religious freedom."
    Maybe you're right - I'm no longer a religious person and haven't been for decades, partly because organized religion is often crazy.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  5. #325
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,976

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    link please.
    Matthew Sheppard is a good example....not a tree...but essentially the same thing.

  6. #326
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,904

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Business DNA or state government DNA or a combination of all. See one could even make an argument that by government forcing people to sell to "X" despite thier religious objections, you are discriminating against them.
    I've seen that argued by the social conservatives as recently as last night, but I consider it the same way I do the Orwellian redefinition of the word 'bigot.' Any law in some ways "discriminates" against someone. Drug laws discriminate against drug users and drug sellers! Etc.

    So, no, I don't see a requirement that a business open to the public serves the public as discrimination. They're asked to comply with laws - they have hundreds to comply with, all of them "discriminatory" in some way.

    I do get that there are tough cases, but that's true of most laws. They all have downsides, often significant downsides, so we weight the good and bad and make informed choices on them.

    I think, yelp, are more of a reflection of "who we are", than some dumb law that actually protects racists and bigots, despite themselves. I'd rather know the racist to avoid patronizing thier business than force them to sell to everyone and me not know.
    I guess I disagree. I'm not all that interested in whether someone, for example, approves of the "gay lifestyle." If they treat them fairly as human beings in the market, work place, employment, housing, etc. even if just because greed overwhelms their principles, fine with me. We really ARE all prejudiced/bigoted in some ways, so overcoming them in how we deal with people is a virtue all its own.

  7. #327
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,976

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    So dramatic.

    Why can't two gay guys find another bakery for their wedding? Because that would waste the opportunity for prime attention whoring.

    And I eat pizza all the time without discussing my sexual orientation. I'm amazing that way.

    For the same reason that blacks didn't just go find another lunch counter to eat at. Maybe sitting in the balcony away from the white folk that don't want to catch their "disgusting blackness" got old.

  8. #328
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    50,311

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    So far, the radio interviewer that initially talked with the store owner has raised just short of 200k for them. In a few hours.

    Well played.

    Chik-Fil-A is asking the gay community to re-egage their outrage against them for a few weekends.

  9. #329
    u mad, snowflake?
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TITANPOINTE, NYC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    71,416

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I've seen that argued by the social conservatives as recently as last night, but I consider it the same way I do the Orwellian redefinition of the word 'bigot.' Any law in some ways "discriminates" against someone. Drug laws discriminate against drug users and drug sellers! Etc.
    Drug laws indeed to just that. the war on drugs is another oppressive topic for discussion.


    So, no, I don't see a requirement that a business open to the public serves the public as discrimination. They're asked to comply with laws - they have hundreds to comply with, all of them "discriminatory" in some way.

    I do get that there are tough cases, but that's true of most laws. They all have downsides, often significant downsides, so we weight the good and bad and make informed choices on them.



    I guess I disagree. I'm not all that interested in whether someone, for example, approves of the "gay lifestyle." If they treat them fairly as human beings in the market, work place, employment, housing, etc. even if just because greed overwhelms their principles, fine with me. We really ARE all prejudiced/bigoted in some ways, so overcoming them in how we deal with people is a virtue all its own.

    Can I make a black bakery bake me a klan kake?

    Or a jewish person bake me a "german wwII gestapo" anniversery cake?

    or what about a gay baker having to make an anti-gay church bake them a cake?

    where does it end? and if it ends prematurely are we being as "tolerant" as we claim?
    If you build an army of 100 lions and their leader is a dog, in any fight, the lions will die like a dog. But if you build an army of 100 dogs and their leader is a lion, all dogs will fight like a lion.

  10. #330
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The flaw in your thinking is you assume those religious people recognize what they're doing as "bigotry." Everybody can rationalize their own particular brand of bigotry, and it's never referred to as "bigotry." Here in America, it's "religious freedom."
    bigotry is an overused word by class-warfare hacks.

    if I choose to only date women between the ages of 20-and 26, I'm practicing discrimination, and you could even argue I'm a bigot.

    like the pizza joints discrimination, my discrimination is my right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •