Page 181 of 214 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 2133

Thread: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed[W:1581]

  1. #1801
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    23,397
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    No. Why would you ask such a silly question?

    bigot
    noun big·ot \ˈbi-gət\
    : a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group
    Thank you for that definition... I knew that "bigot" was the appropriate word for those around here who have shown their disdain and intolerance for people who embrace religion.

  2. #1802
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    52,199

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Thank you for that definition... I knew that "bigot" was the appropriate word for those around here who have shown their disdain and intolerance for people who embrace religion.
    There are certainly bigots about religion just as there are bigots regarding SSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  3. #1803
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,635

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I would add that if the baker has sold wedding cakes to non-christian couples, then they have demonstrated that the cake is not a religious symbol to them and that their refusal to sell it to an SSM is motivated by personal animosity and are using religion to dishonestly cloak their hostility
    And I would seriously doubt whether they would demand evidence of baptizing before selling them wedding cakes.
    Wilders is a piece of gutter trash, a gutless populist who has no morality to speak of.

  4. #1804
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,635

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Your point? You still do not have a Right to tell someone what is and isn't a part of their religion.
    And they still did not have the right to deny selling them a wedding cake.
    Wilders is a piece of gutter trash, a gutless populist who has no morality to speak of.

  5. #1805
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 10:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Two things:
    1. These businesses would have to show how catering a gay marriage is in contrast to their religion AND that will open up how the business is run. If the business can't show that their faith is part of other operations they are hosed. Because yes the courts will go there. If you are Christian you better not be picking and choosing what parts of the religion you practice when it comes to dealing with the public. I can't wait till when a journalist finds one of these places open on a Sunday for example

    2. The GOP needs to distance it's self from this issue. This thing is a loser of an issue in 2016.

  6. #1806
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,468

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, I was the first to mention privately owned buses, and i proved they exist.

    You introduced the claim that they're only in a small # of cities, so thats your burden to prove.
    You are correct in saying that you were the first to mention "private buses" however, that was only after you got called out on your poor analogy where you said only this:

    "and why would a black person want to be driven on a bus where the driver didnt want them?"

    That was you in post #1694 the very first mention by you of a bus at all....Notice no "private" in there at all....And following the line of postings before that, clearly IMHO, you injected this analogy to disingenuously tie this argument of this thread to the civil rights struggles of the past.

    As to your assertion that public transit systems are sometimes privately operated, I found this:

    "Public transport bus operation is differentiated from other bus operation by the fact the owner or driver of a bus is employed by or contracted to an organisation whose main public duty or commercial interest is to provide a public transport service for passengers to turn up and use, rather than fulfilling private contracts between the bus operator and user. Public transport buses are operated as a common carrier under a contract of carriage between the passenger and the operator.

    The owners of public transport buses may be the municipal authority or transit authority that operates them, or they may be owned by individuals or private companies who operate them on behalf of the authorities on a franchise or contract basis."

    Public transport bus service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Which would lead me to cede the point to you also, until you read this:

    "The massive subsidies that were granted to US and Canadian railroads are an example of state intervention. In the early 20th the overprovision of rail lines, competition between carriers and market failures led to a crisis in many parts of the transport industry, particularly after 1918. This led to a growing degree of government involvement in the transport industry, both to offset market failures, jurisdictional conflicts and to ensure that services could be maintained for the sake of the "public good":

    In many cities private bus companies were taken over by municipally controlled transit commissions in the 1930s and 1940s.

    The airline industries in many countries were placed under the control of a national public carrier, for example Air France, Trans Canada Airlines, and British Overseas Airways Corporation.

    Railways were nationalized in Europe after World War Two, and in the US, after the collapse of the Penn Central Railroad and several other lines, a publicly-funded passenger system (Amtrak) was set up, and a publicly owned freight railroad was established (Conrail)."

    snip

    "Urban transit systems remain dominantly publically owned and operated. Intercity is mostly private, which brings the question about if city transportation would gain to be privatized."

    https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/...n/ch9c1en.html

    So I stand by my claim that most urban public transportation services are publicly owned, and operated...

    Did we clear that up, and can now move back on topic?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #1807
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,468

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    And they still did not have the right to deny selling them a wedding cake.
    If I have something for sale, I don't have to sell it to you if I don't want to.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #1808
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,830

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, they were elected, however that is irrelevant to the reaction of folks.



    And yet there they are, reporting on the bill before it was made into law, which goes against your narrative about the issue coming into question because of some pizza joint.



    Utter nonsense. The story was posted on May 31st, people had been calling on Pence to veto the bill since AT LEAST May 25th.

    Source for dates: RFRA: Michiana business wouldn't cater a gay wedding - ABC57 News - See the Difference Michiana



    Nope, I maintain that it ensured gays would not be discriminated against while people hide behind their religious beliefs to do so.
    Yeah, we're gonna continue to disagree. I maintain nothing happened, and nobody has provided any evidence whatsoever that anything did other than rampant hysteria over evil Christians.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

  9. #1809
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    No mention that it trumps any laws. I said the law has to reflect freedom of religion.
    It does. The people are free to practice their religion in accordance with laws. There are some exceptions made in certain laws to allow some leeway. But this isn't one of those because it would allow for anyone to claim religious exemption for basically any discrimination and there would be no point to the laws. All religions are treated equally in this law. No person can use their religious beliefs as reasoning for denying a service/product they offer to a customer. Just as no one can use their religious beliefs to be excluded from paying taxes of from having to get a drivers license to drive a car.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #1810
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    29,632

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    So if I believe that abortion on demand is immoral, the law says that I am required to cater a Planned Parenthood fundraiser? Is that what you're saying? I don't have the right of refusal?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •