Page 171 of 214 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2133

Thread: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed[W:1581]

  1. #1701
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,787

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Yeah, that's the private/difference. A private club or individual has a lot more leeway. Businesses which operate in the public space don't that freedom.
    He knows that but he has consistently (and dishonestly) tried to conflate expressive organizations with purely commercial ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #1702
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,787

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Maybe it was 'world wide' nine years ago but interest seems to have waned. In fact it seems to have had a discouraging effect on some areas of the world. http://muslimobserver.com/homosexual...e-middle-east/
    Next time you move the goalposts, give me some advance warning so I have time to put my sneakers on.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #1703
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,787

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    This really says a lot of nothing, thanks tho....
    I just responded in kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #1704
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,787

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Driver doesn't own the bus, analogy fail.
    Actually, in some places they do
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #1705
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,787

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Nonsense....The bus may be the only means of transportation on a particular street.
    Ahhh, so now there are good reasons to require a business to provide a service to everyone!!!

    BTW, I've never seen a bus line that has only one bus on it. They always have buses running at regular intervals, and it's not all the same bus with the same driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #1706
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Next time you move the goalposts, give me some advance warning so I have time to put my sneakers on.
    The goals posts remain in the same place. So does your nine-year-old story.

  7. #1707
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Why is age a protected class? Why does age trump deeply held religious views?
    Religion is a protected class as well when it comes to a person selling goods to others. A business owner cannot deny service based on religious beliefs of the customer. So if they sell coffee mugs with cats, comic book characters, famous quotes, or Bible scripture on them, they must be willing to sell them to all customers, without regard to the customers religious beliefs (or even lack of). They can't even say " well I'll sell the cat mugs to any theist but not to atheists or agnostics, the comic book character mugs to nonChristians, but not Christians, the famous quotes mugs to atheists and agnostics but not theists, and the bible scripture mugs to Christians, but not nonChristians. This is religious discrimination, even though the place is willing to sell at least two products to any person. This still violates public accommodation laws.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #1708
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,862

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The fact that the law was changed in order to ensure that gays are not discriminated against should be enough. The law itself specifically singled out the one group of people who use their religion to discriminate and basically told them "We won't get involved!". Continuing to ignore that fact doesn't change the reality of the matter.
    The law was changed because gays demanded protected status. The law was also changed because a "reporter" took it on herself to find some Christian somewhere offering a service who spoke honestly and confirmed that the business would not cater a gay wedding. There are prohibitions in the Bible which specifically prohibit homosexual unions. The law as it once stood simply stated that such religious beliefs could be a consideration. The rest is pure hyperbole.

    Laws don't prevent murder. Should murder no longer be criminalized?
    And the bolded was my point. Just because this group or that claims protected status under the law does not bestow them the title of "Thought Police". I don't necessarily condone what that girl said, and she is a younger woman. However, the First Amendment still stands, and I do recognize her right to say it. If you want to penalize people for exercising that right, you'd better check the ground on which you stand. It will be challenged.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

  9. #1709
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So if he later changes his mind about making penis cakes it really doesn't matter. He'll be stuck to making them forever. Does it matter about the color or size of these penis cakes? What about other body parts? Comply there as well?

    This definitely calls for another level of bureaucracy.
    Nope. But a baker who claims to one customer to have stopped making such cakes, but then makes them for another customer and the baker can't explain rationally to a judge why he claimed to have stopped making them to one person then made them for another customer is likely going to find themselves facing fines and/or paying a settlement to a customer who sued them. It's not that hard and how such cases have been being decided. The people are brought to court, if enough evidence exists to suggest that they did violate discrimination laws, and then they get to defend themselves. It is not impossible for a judge to rule that the denial of service was not based on a protected class, but rather something else, such as they were out of some ingredient needed or they were married to someone who disapproved of baking such cakes and then they divorced the person, and started making the cakes again. Circumstances are looked at and considered for reasonableness as to an alternative reason for service denial.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #1710
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,641

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Only from your point of view.



    This does nothing to address what I stated.



    Christian Wedding Customs and Traditions



    You were saying?
    Wedding cake is not a Christian anything. When is the last time you heard a priest say, before we can pronounce the husband and wife married, they must cut and consume a piece of the cake?

    Since when is it part of Christianity? What place does it have in the wedding ceremony?

    Stop selling us nonsense. The wedding cake is a celebratory cake at the wedding reception, it has no religious meaning from a bible point of view.

    In the past they used to break bread over a bride's head (in Roman times), in the past it was a bride's pie eaten before the wedding even took place.

    For centuries people did not have wedding cakes and their marriages were as Christian as is possible. In fact you do not need a wedding cake at all for a wedding, it is just part of the celebration.

    Refusing to bake a cake does not stop a wedding, it has not influence on the ceremony, it is all done to punish gays for having a wedding IMHO. Those bakers who refuse are sore losers and bad Christians IMHO. Christianity does not deny people baked goods, the name sake of their religion even said it, judge not or you will be judged and if they ever go to heaven I hope there is someone who asks them "Really? You denied them a cake? Really? In my name? Really? Ever heard of the sin of Pride?".

    A cake as said has no religious function whatsoever, denying them a wedding cake is just misplaced pride and judgemental arrogance towards a fellow man and just wrong however you look at it (from a human standpoint, legal standpoint and even a religious standpoint)
    Wilders is a piece of gutter trash, a gutless populist who has no morality to speak of.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •