Page 101 of 214 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2133

Thread: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed[W:1581]

  1. #1001
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,208

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    Donations are now closed at a total of $842,387. This gave us a chance to compare conservatism in action as opposed to liberalism in action
    Well yes, Stalin had followers too.

  2. #1002
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,208

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So forcing someone to provide someone else their labor is not tyranny?
    Not if they took it upon themselves to provide that labor.

    Forcing someone to give up their property in trade to another person is not tyranny?
    No one forced anyone to do anything. People take on to serve others when they open a business to the public.

    Well, we have a very different view on tyranny, mister anarchist.
    No, you just have no clue how it applies.

  3. #1003
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,208

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I suppose you also believe that if a restaurant refused to cater a NAMBLA party, they would be intolerant, anti-gay bigots too... Right?
    Here is a clue in order to avoid making stupid comparisons. Introducing an illegal activity as a comparison is always a failure.

  4. #1004
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,208

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Americans don't donate money to bigots, they donate it to people who have been wrongly abused and victimized.
    But bigots will support other bigots...
    Sadly there is still enough of them.

  5. #1005
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,208

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    If I owned a restaurant, I sure as hell wouldn't cater to them...
    I am curious. Say if you worked for company ABC Inc. as on of their executives and all of a sudden ABC Inc. declared support for gay marriage and gave large donations to make it legal everywhere. Would you quit your job?

  6. #1006
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Lost to those pushing this agenda of persecution and destruction of anyone who doesn't bow down is the fact the owners stated on video they did not discriminate against anyone in the course of doing business. What they did say is their religious beliefs would preclude them from participating in an event that goes against their faith.

    Why not demand a Jew cater an event during Passover? How about demanding a Jewish Bakery cater a SSM last night?

    There was no bigotry in the statements of the owners. They didn't pass judgment on gays, in fact they said the exact opposite. But that is lost on the pushers of the agenda.

    Even your statement about me not liking the fact gays are human points to the BS tripe that pervades the agenda pushers. Where in anything I've ever written have I even inferred gays are not human. But that doesn't stop the storm troops from claiming it.

    Pathetic.
    Storm troops and agendas? Refusing to cater an event because some of the people have a sexual orientation that is cross with your beliefs, not facts mind you, leaves us all vulnerable. I don't want anybody doing anything for me, or refusing to do anything for me because the flying spaghetti god told them to. Discrimination is ugly, and we've been fighting and dying to overcome it at least since the civil war here in America, and we're not going to stop. In the end, no business is going to deny anybody service based on their race, their gender or their sexual orientation, neither of which are choices, and reason will prevail over this ugliness, you'll see.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #1007
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,208

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    The true winners in all this: The gays and lesbians in Indiana.

    Because of the viscous Indiana law bigots passed last week -- and the abhorrence with which people reacted to it nationwide

    now --

    for the first time in Indiana history: codified into law now are protections based on sexual orientation!

    Pizza pop and kid hit the RW cult lottery and won buckos, but their cause is lost.

    Indiana gay and lesbian citizens won by a far wider margin and are the happy recipients of a much richer moral battle.
    Exactly, well said.

  8. #1008
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    BS. No law has ever forced anyone to serve anyone else. People take it on themselves to serve others when they open a business that is open to the public
    There are at least two Supreme Court decisions, Hurley and Dale, that prove your assertions are false. Both involved state public accommodations laws which prohibited discrimination based on sexual orientation. And in both cases, the Court held the law as applied was unconstitutional because it violated a First Amendment right of the public accommodation involved. State public accommodations laws often extend to many things besides hotels, restaurants, and movie theaters, and extending them so far is one reason they tend to conflict with First Amendment freedoms. Where the public accommodation is mainly commercial, a duty to serve is most likely to exist, but there is no bright line between commercial association and expressive association. Justice O'Connor discussed this at length in her concurring opinion in another state public accommodations law case, Roberts v. Jaycees.

    The Coeur d'Alene ordinance is another example of a law that attempted to force the very kind of service you claim "no law has ever forced." It threatened the Christian owners of a for-profit wedding chapel with fines and jail time because they declined to let their business be used for same-sex weddings. The town backed down only when the owners filed a suit in federal court. The Supreme Court has made clear in West Virginia Board of Educ. v. Barnette and later in Wooley v. Maynard that laws which compel people to endorse, propound, or celebrate views they do not agree with violate the freedom of speech.

  9. #1009
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,366

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    I don't care about this topic one way or the other, but from a logical stand point,
    does anyone as a customer want to force a vendor to provide a service that they have stated
    they do not want to provide?
    Let's switch the roles, and see how it looks.
    The Grand poo bah of the KKK approaches a black BBQ shop about catering their next cross burning.
    The BBQ owner politely declines, the Grand poo bah, sues and forces the BBQ shop to comply.
    Would you really want to eat that BBQ?

  10. #1010
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Indiana's 'No Gay Wedding' Pizzeria Has Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IOW, people are free to agree to anything they want


    as long as the libertarian authoritarians approve.
    Indeed they are. Including not being forced to labor for events or goals they do not agree with, yes?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •