Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

  1. #21
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,839

    Re: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

    After watching the movie The Fault in Our Stars I became interested in the Ann Frank Story again.
    ( there was a part in the movie where they toured the secret annex )

    I found this Short ( less than 5 minutes ) you tube video of a tour of the annex.
    I found it quite interesting.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=0SJgudCq540

  2. #22
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    After watching the movie The Fault in Our Stars I became interested in the Ann Frank Story again.
    ( there was a part in the movie where they toured the secret annex )

    I found this Short ( less than 5 minutes ) you tube video of a tour of the annex.
    I found it quite interesting.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=0SJgudCq540
    Excellent thanks so much for sharing that Minnie. Very interesting!

    I've never been to the Annex. Unfortunately last time I was in Amsterdam I was in my early 20s and more interested in other things. I want to go there.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #23
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    I never read her diary but what interests me about the Anne Frank story is that they never found out who betrayed the family to the Nazis- its a mystery that will probably never be solved- like Jack The Ripper.
    They always assumed it was one of the office workers but they were there for so long, it really could have been any number of people. It's probably too late for a deathbed confession at this point.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Excellent thanks so much for sharing that Minnie. Very interesting!

    I've never been to the Annex. Unfortunately last time I was in Amsterdam I was in my early 20s and more interested in other things. I want to go there.
    Was going to go, stayed nearby, but the line-ups were too long. Another regret.

  5. #25
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,839

    Re: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    They always assumed it was one of the office workers but they were there for so long, it really could have been any number of people. It's probably too late for a deathbed confession at this point.
    Here is a short ( one page ) article that lists a few of the workers who may have turned them in.
    And as this paragraph tells , it could have just been a person in the neighborhood who became aware that it looked like people might be living in the " warehouse".



    As the period of hiding went on for longer, the hiders became less careful. Curtains were opened beyond just a crack, rooftop windows inadvertently stayed open, accidental noises became more frequent, and so on. All in all, the visible evidence mounted for the world outside that there were people in the building after office hours. People in the outside world may quite innocently have mentioned this in conversation, which could have been overheard by the wrong persons. In this scenario, the name of the night watchman Martin Sleegers plays a prominent role. Following the report of a burglary in the premises in April 1944, he and a police officer went to investigate. They actually fumbled with the bookcase that hid the entrance to the Secret Annex. Anne describes this burglary in her diary entry of April 11, 1944. There is no concrete evidence that Sleegers betrayed the hiders. While it is a fact Sleegers knew the NSB member Gringhuis (who was present at the arrest), this in itself does not constitute proof.
    Read more :

    Miep Gies :: The betrayal
    Last edited by minnie616; 04-01-15 at 12:37 PM.

  6. #26
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    05-19-17 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,820

    Re: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Didn't Meyer Levin write it and sue Otto Frank over it winning $50,000.00. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
    That theory has been advanced over the years by various people, mostly far right holocaust deniers.

    What actually happened is that Otto Frank took the diary to Levin who was interested in making a screen play out of it. Levin then edited a copy of the diary given to him by Frank in part because he wanted to make it more suitable for a screen play (more condensed, more flowing etc). Levin also had an eye on marketability and may well have emphasized or de emphasized some parts for drama. Otto Frank and Levin then had a business dispute.

    Anyways, in response to holocaust denial charges placed against various people over the years, both the German Federal Police and the Dutch police have examined the original diary and have forensically determined that Anne Frank did, in fact, write the diary.

    That is not to say that there were no changes were made to the original manuscript as indicated by small portions written in ball point pen (several notations?). These notations could have been made by Levin, or by Otto Frank. Otto Frank did state that he edited some passages because he was either embrassed by how they portrayed the family or to protect the privacy of certain people accused of anti semitism / collaboration on grounds that were not established as fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Was going to go, stayed nearby, but the line-ups were too long. Another regret.
    I had the same experience. The line was huge. In addiiton, I think one needed to make reservations in advance if one wanted to be guaranteed entry. I needed to leave the next day so I could not do it.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 04-02-15 at 10:50 AM.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    That theory has been advanced over the years by various people, mostly far right holocaust deniers.

    What actually happened is that Otto Frank took the diary to Levin who was interested in making a screen play out of it. Levin then edited a copy of the diary given to him by Frank in part because he wanted to make it more suitable for a screen play (more condensed, more flowing etc). Levin also had an eye on marketability and may well have emphasized or de emphasized some parts for drama. Otto Frank and Levin then had a business dispute.

    Anyways, in response to holocaust denial charges placed against various people over the years, both the German Federal Police and the Dutch police have examined the original diary and have forensically determined that Anne Frank did, in fact, write the diary.

    That is not to say that there were no changes were made to the original manuscript as indicated by small portions written in ball point pen (several notations?). These notations could have been made by Levin, or by Otto Frank. Otto Frank did state that he edited some passages because he was either embrassed by how they portrayed the family or to protect the privacy of certain people accused of anti semitism / collaboration on grounds that were not established as fact.


    I had the same experience. The line was huge. In addiiton, I think one needed to make reservations in advance if one wanted to be guaranteed entry. I needed to leave the next day so I could not do it.
    Edited?????????!!!!!!!!!! Lol. It's no theory that Levin sued Frank and won. Have you read the court docs, and what Levin sued for. And furthermore, was it Levin's screen play version that sold so many copies that everybody read and was so moved by, or was it the "original"?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #28
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    05-19-17 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,820

    Re: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Here is a short ( one page ) article that lists a few of the workers who may have turned them in.
    And as this paragraph tells , it could have just been a person in the neighborhood who became aware that it looked like people might be living in the " warehouse".
    Or somebody from a wider circle. The Franks were not 100% concealed in the annex 100% of the time. The diary desribes episodes where Otto Frank leaves for business and others leave for brief shopping trips. Likewise, as your source indicates, precautions were relaxed at times.

    These variations between total concealment and "laying low" were probably in response to chaninging conditions in Amsterdam. Unlike eastern Europe where Nazi atrocities against the jews were graphic, continuous and at times direct assisted by violently anti semitic locals, Nazi and collaborator round ups of jews in Amsterdam were more sporadic. Depending on alot of variables, their efforts could range from zealous to half hearted attempts to find jews.

    As a result, the Franks and the others would modify their living based on what the immediate threat was. The informer could have been somebody who noticed the Franks "disappear" and then notified the police for a reward. In addition, there might not have been a civilian betrayer at all. It has been speculated that Otto Frank and the Dentist (both relatively wealthy) had paid bribes to local collaborators and / or Germans to not look too hard for them, or to pretend not to notice that the families had gone into hiding. They were then arrested when they could no longer pay the bribes.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 04-02-15 at 11:21 AM.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:54 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,687

    Re: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

    Knowing how this wonderful person suffered back then isn't it pathetic today when a young girl of the same age today threatens to kill herself when her parent take her cell phone away??!!

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Anne Frank died earlier than thought, new study says

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Or somebody from a wider circle. The Franks were not 100% concealed in the annex 100% of the time. The diary desribes episodes where Otto Frank leaves for business and others leave for brief shopping trips. Likewise, as your source indicates, precautions were relaxed at times.

    These variations between total concealment and "laying low" were probably in response to chaninging conditions in Amsterdam. Unlike eastern Europe where Nazi atrocities against the jews were graphic, continuous and at times direct assisted by violently anti semitic locals, Nazi and collaborator round ups of jews in Amsterdam were more sporadic. Depending on alot of variables, their efforts could range from zealous to half hearted attempts to find jews.

    As a result, the Franks and the others would modify their living based on what the immediate threat was. The informer could have been somebody who noticed the Franks "disappear" and then notified the police for a reward. In addition, there might not have been a civilian betrayer at all. It has been speculated that Otto Frank and the Dentist (both relatively wealthy) had paid bribes to local collaborators and / or Germans to not look too hard for them, or to pretend not to notice that the families had gone into hiding. They were then arrested when they could no longer pay the bribes.
    This is not off topic, I believe, but is related to Anne Frank and how easily normal people can do such remarkable evil things. Stasi Files Revisited: The Banalities and Betrayals of Life in East Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE

    That Angela Merkel came out of this background and environment to become today's preeminent world leader is one of the most remarkable personal stories of the last century.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •