Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 494

Thread: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

  1. #391
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Reston, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,244
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No, you just continued to avoid supporting the claim you made several pages back because you cannot. You should have just let it drop, as I did....it's there for everyone to see. (Or, note my signature in green, below).

    I made no claim that has not been amply supported. The problem is that I cannot discern a question or issue for discussion amid the ranting.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #392
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    03-22-17 @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Why do I get the feeling a hundred years from now people will look at what we is currently going on and come to the same conclusion: "Wow, those people were in deep sh$t from an economic standpoint, a global standpoint, and an immigration standpoint: and look, LOOK at what they were arguing about!!!

  3. #393
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,631

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You have a fundamentally flawed concept of how public accommodation laws work. You're trying to paint this in some kind of black and white universe where either every religious belief must be respected or nobody is allowed to follow any religious belief. I'm actually having a hard time describing your problem, because you are so far off the mark that you aren't even in the same universe as public accommodation laws.

    An actress is an employee, not a customer. She can choose not to work for a porn company. There's no problem with that.

    The company, on the other hand, can't refuse to sell her porn because she's a woman. Or because she's Jewish. Or latino. Similarly, the company cannot refuse to hire her because she's Jewish, or latino, or a woman. (although porn isn't a great example, because it would fall under the Bona Fide Occupational Qualification exemption. A female role, whether in adult films or the regular kind, needs to be played by a female so the business can in fact refuse to hire men for that particular position. get it. position?)
    so bigotry is acceptable as long as you can use a fancy term and masturbate to it?

    got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  4. #394
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    Why do I get the feeling a hundred years from now people will look at what we is currently going on and come to the same conclusion: "Wow, those people were in deep sh$t from an economic standpoint, a global standpoint, and an immigration standpoint: and look, LOOK at what they were arguing about!!!
    The country can walk and chew gum at the same time. It's cowardly and disingenuous to avoid legitimate civil rights issues until every other problem on the planet has been solved.

  5. #395
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,825

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    Why do I get the feeling a hundred years from now people will look at what we is currently going on and come to the same conclusion: "Wow, those people were in deep sh$t from an economic standpoint, a global standpoint, and an immigration standpoint: and look, LOOK at what they were arguing about!!!
    Of course, this has been the left's strategy for a long time. Gay rights, global warming, etc... issues that rank in the single digits as concerns for voters. They want the focus off the economy and jobs, which they have been a disaster at. They want minorities stomping into the voter booths, fired up about some unimportant issue, while the economy crumbles around them.

    This works for them because of the large amount of low information voters, that have no idea what they are really voting for.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  6. #396
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I made no claim that has not been amply supported. The problem is that I cannot discern a question or issue for discussion amid the ranting.
    Does this refresh your memory? You never supported the bold, black.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    IMO, hypocrisy does not deserve 'space' or tolerance. Because it is pure hypocrisy.

    There was no outrage, were no campaigns organized to end adulterers* and fornicators from marrying/remarrying, no legislation proposed challenging it, no 'family organizations' handing out pamphlets at the grocery store. Nor anyone speaking out against felons...murderers, rapists, pedophiles....marrying while in prison. No campaigns to keep athiests and the 'godless' from marrying.

    No, just gays.

    *The Catholic Church does forbid, still I think, adulterers to remarry in the Church but I'm not sure)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The campaigns of which you are apparently unaware were quite powerful and lasted centuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Really? I would like some sources for that, specifically for the institution of marriage.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #397
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,547

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    Why do I get the feeling a hundred years from now people will look at what we is currently going on and come to the same conclusion: "Wow, those people were in deep sh$t from an economic standpoint, a global standpoint, and an immigration standpoint: and look, LOOK at what they were arguing about!!!
    You are right. It does appear that one party in our 2 party system has decided they don't wish to govern so they piddle around trying to score points with their base instead. Ii will be laughed at in the future too. The right wing crazies and libertarians got all hot and bothered by the thought of legally kicking gays out on their asses only to be shot down by Walmart. You just can't make these things up.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 04-03-15 at 12:22 AM.

  8. #398
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,906

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Meh, you're just opposite side of that very same coin.
    Nah man, there is a huge diff between a business discriminating and the state going out of its way to override decades-long city anti discrimination laws, targeting a single group in favor of a single religion in the process.

    That is what these "RFRA" are all about

  9. #399
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,906

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    You say that now, but wait until someone talks about how they don't feel welcomed there based on the Bible verses and that is de facto discrimination. My suspicion is that you would not exactly be up front and out there advocating for the business's right to post them.
    Religion is a "protected class" under the civil rights act. LGBT is not

    These "RFRA" were totally unnecessary and only came about to screw over lgbt

  10. #400
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,906

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Shocking. Let's just save time here and acknowledge that there is zero scenario where you'd actually side with a Christian business owner over a gay person regardless of the presented facts.

    Anyway, I knew this thread would attract you like a moth to a flame so you can make speeches about how awesome and enlightened you are and that it would also be my cur to bow out of it. Have fun "likes" whoring.
    X i think it's worth pointing out that, despite all the attention the bakery got, very few accusations of discrimination boil down to refusing to participate in a gay wedding.

    So i don't see why his response is such a big deal. I mean he may be wrong but really...

    The vast majority of discrimination is in employment, housing, and small business service that does NOT cater weddings. None of that is disallowed under indiana law. That is the issue here

Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •