Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 494

Thread: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

  1. #331
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,802

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    There's no difficulty with the signage...it serves both bigot and bigotee. It also protects both, even tho only one might desire it (those being informed before they have to deal with the bigots).

    Still confusing for you, I know but basically it means that the govt involvement protects both's rights, one side that would desire it and one side that may or may not. And I agree with the govt protecting people's rights.
    No confusion at all, in fact I see right through you...
    Oh, and of course, the ever present mentality that if you are not in accordance with your beliefs, then you are a bigot. You have bigot on the mind, and that is all you see. And yep, it is funny and ironic that you are confused and biased, and always see bigots where none exist, even with your eyes closed, even when it is out of the sphere of the discussion. Bigot, bigot, bigot. That's your only answer to everything. But, you are not close minded or anything.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  2. #332
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,838

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Tolerance means people of opposed convictions all have to be a little bit disappointed.
    "A little bit disappointed" is grossly minimizing the experience of having someone say to one's face, "We don't __________________ for homosexuals (or transsexuals)." That causes way more than a little bit of disappointment. If it's related to a wedding, at the least, they've cast a pall on the planning and maybe the event. They've also planted seeds of doubt or fear about what the next stop will bring. That's a really cruddy thing to have to put up with over something LGBTs cannot change.

  3. #333
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,223

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    "A little bit disappointed" is grossly minimizing the experience of having someone say to one's face, "We don't __________________ for homosexuals (or transsexuals)." That causes way more than a little bit of disappointment. If it's related to a wedding, at the least, they've cast a pall on the planning and maybe the event. They've also planted seeds of doubt or fear about what the next stop will bring. That's a really cruddy thing to have to put up with over something LGBTs cannot change.
    ...when weighing respective rights, I'm sorry, but I just can't get in my head how the right not to have to call the next wedding planner on the google search page outweighs the right to conscience or religion.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  4. #334
    Winged Eel Fingerling
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    16,231

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  5. #335
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    No confusion at all, in fact I see right through you...
    Oh, and of course, the ever present mentality that if you are not in accordance with your beliefs, then you are a bigot. You have bigot on the mind, and that is all you see. And yep, it is funny and ironic that you are confused and biased, and always see bigots where none exist, even with your eyes closed, even when it is out of the sphere of the discussion. Bigot, bigot, bigot. That's your only answer to everything. But, you are not close minded or anything.
    Meaningless post where you didnt say anything....well, I knew you'd be confused...thanks for confirming it.

    You couldnt refute it with actual discussion.... (Amusing, your removing the bold below, lol...too confusing eh? Well, hypocrisy often is)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    There's no difficulty with the signage...it serves both bigot and bigotee. It also protects both, even tho only one might desire it (those being informed before they have to deal with the bigots). The govt is actively protecting their right to association there, even if the business owners prefer to 'protect' their own right to association by associating with (personally informing) those it desires not to associate with. (yup, still funny).

    Still confusing for you, I know but basically it means that the govt involvement protects both's rights, one side that would desire it and one side that may or may not. And I agree with the govt protecting people's rights.
    Last edited by Lursa; 04-02-15 at 01:08 AM.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #336
    Winged Eel Fingerling
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    16,231

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Penn Jillette hits it out of the park. Watch the crazy zealot lady wince..comedy gold.

    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  7. #337
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,838

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    ...when weighing respective rights, I'm sorry, but I just can't get in my head how the right not to have to call the next wedding planner on the google search page outweighs the right to conscience or religion.
    That you don't see that informing a person they are unfit to do business with because of a characteristic which they have no part in deciding (which does no harm the shopkeeper) is unkind/rude/cruel, is something I cannot wrap my head around. In person or on the phone.

  8. #338
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,515

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Only liberals assume freedom = discrimination. What does that tell you?
    Just like only Righties want the "freedom" to discriminate. That is much more telling.

  9. #339
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,515

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    ...when weighing respective rights, I'm sorry, but I just can't get in my head how the right not to have to call the next wedding planner on the google search page outweighs the right to conscience or religion.
    Perhaps you need a new head. This is a done deal, business's cannot discriminate. baking a cake is not a religious exercise.

  10. #340
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,223

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Perhaps you need a new head. This is a done deal, business's cannot discriminate. baking a cake is not a religious exercise.
    No, but a wedding ceremony is. And it doesn't have to be a religious ceremony to violate your faith.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •