Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 493

Thread: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

  1. #161
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    04-11-18 @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,847

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Constitutional right to exclusiveness? Where is THAT found? You have no RIGHT to decide who will get your labor when you open a business to the public. You don't get to write your own rules because you open a business. If all that were required to practice discrimination is get a business license, we would still have white only lunch counters. Sorry...but America rejected that bigotry decades ago. Time to move into the 21st century.
    Could I open a business and put a sign in my window that says that only conservatives are welcome. Does any law on the books deny me that privilege?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    That isn't even close to what I am saying. The issue doesn't revolve around getting a license. The point is...if you want to open up a business. Fine....more power to you. But don't think that just because you open a business it means that you get to write your own rules and disregard the laws of this great country. Some people have tried to be "clever" and hide behind their religion and claim that their religion REQUIRES them to be a bigot so the government has to allow them to practice their bigotry and allow their discrimination. Sorry...but that argument is failing and will continue to fail. While you have every right to be a bigot if you so choose...you don't have a right to openly discriminate against any in America in 2015.
    So why did you mention the license if it doesn't matter to your argument? I sorry, but I'm sensing you are being extremely dishonest right now.

  3. #163
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    04-20-18 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,316

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, you know the right to association kind of implies you can't force people into associations. Meaning, in short, that exclusiveness is a right as well.
    No one is forcing anyone into an association. Bigots can associate with all the bigots that they want. They don't have to join black churches or gay choirs or anything of the sort. They can't however, discriminate and claim that their religion requires them to practice their bigotry in their business.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #164
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    04-20-18 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,316

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So why did you mention the license if it doesn't matter to your argument? I sorry, but I'm sensing you are being extremely dishonest right now.
    Oh puh-lease. Take out the license...the issue remains. Are you going to start nitpicking over word choices now? Are you already out of arguments. If so...tell me now.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No one is forcing anyone into an association. Bigots can associate with all the bigots that they want. They don't have to join black churches or gay choirs or anything of the sort. They can't however, discriminate and claim that their religion requires them to practice their bigotry in their business.
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, you know. That is like saying a woman doesn't have to sleep with a man, but she can't say no.

  6. #166
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    04-20-18 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,316

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Actually yes. You can't refuse to do business with someone just because you don't like their political beliefs. Putting a sign in a window is not carte blanche to disregard the laws.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #167
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    04-11-18 @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,847

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No one is forcing anyone into an association. Bigots can associate with all the bigots that they want. They don't have to join black churches or gay choirs or anything of the sort. They can't however, discriminate and claim that their religion requires them to practice their bigotry in their business.

    Their business is their religion. If you open up your shop in the morning do you stop your religion at the door? What absurd statement?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  8. #168
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    04-11-18 @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,847

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Actually yes. You can't refuse to do business with someone just because you don't like their political beliefs. Putting a sign in a window is not carte blanche to disregard the laws.
    Yes you can, and the constitution permits it. I can indeed put as sign in my window that cater to ONLY conservatives and there's not anything the government could do to stop me. Unless of course you could point to some violation of the law?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #169
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    04-20-18 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,316

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, you know. That is like saying a woman doesn't have to sleep with a man, but she can't say no.
    Are you serious? Your arguments are getting weaker and weaker and more silly as you stretch. You need to learn how to make a solid analogy because every one you have tried thus far have been major fails. Not even close to being relevant.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #170
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,909
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Gov. Mike Pence: Change RFRA law to make it clear discrimination won't be allowed

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm not playing stupid.
    You said it, not me.

    What part of the first Amendment are you referring to? Free speech?

    If so, how is the government infringing on their free speech rights?[/quote]

    Not so much.

    Freedom of religion? The government is not infringing on their right to practice their religion.
    See, you did know. If the practice of religion excludes participating in activities that are deemed inappropriate, then the government's requirement does violate the first.




    Since everyone ignored it, I'll ask again:

    Let's put it this way. What if an actress, who is unmarried and maintained her virginity because of religious beliefs, is requested by an adult film company to work as an actress in scenes that will bring her virginity to an end? Can she not claim religious freedom? Can she not refuse work?
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •