Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

    Rational businesses see the law for what it really is. The law is not about increasing freedom, but limiting protections to a share of customers. Most rational and reasonably enlightened businesses believe it is a fundamental right of consumers to buy their products and services so long as those customers are willing and able to do so (the demand curve). Preventing such customers from doing so is an infringement on those customers’ freedom.

    That limitation of protection for consumer freedom has business consequences. A share of customers will look elsewhere translating into lower revenue and profits than would otherwise be the case. In other words, the demand curve would shift to the left and, holding supply constant, prices would be lower, revenue would be lower, and profits lower.

    The pool of talent could also shrink as some prospective employees (whose consumer protections have been diminished) go elsewhere and some would-be business partners seek not to get involved with firms in a state that offers fewer protections. In turn, the reduction in the talent pool could have long-term adverse consequences as it relates to innovation, improvement, and productivity, all of which impact a company’s competitiveness and profitability.

    Not surprisingly, the negative publicity has led to Indiana’s Governor’s seeking some changes. Even when the changes are made, there will likely be some residual fallout from what happened. The bad publicity and related consequences were fully avoidable had the State fully thought through what it was seeking to do.

  2. #22
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,216

    Re: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Refusing to spend "huge amounts of money" in a locale where the corporate types don't approve of the new law ain't so difficult. Angie's List - stopping plans for $40 million expansion. Cummins Diesel, based in Indiana, had a few words about the subject: "Cummins believes it's bad for business and bad for Indiana and sends the message that the state is unwelcoming."
    Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff also tweeted on Thursday about the decision in a series of comments that went viral and said the company would be forced to dramatically reduce its spending in the state. Salesforce bought Indianapolis-based marketing software company ExactTarget in 2013.
    Yelp CEO Jeremy Stoppelman "unconscionable to imagine that Yelp would create, maintain, or expand a significant business presence in any state that encouraged discrimination by businesses against our employees, or consumers at large."
    The organizers of Gen Con, a gaming conference that is among the marquee events of the year in the city, sent a letter to Gov. Pence this week stating that it might move in future years if he signed the bill. Oh wow!, gamer nerds! Yeah, Gen Con puts $50 million dollars into Indiana every year.

    The following shows that at least some people are thinking about the future for Indiana.


    quotes from a CNBC article
    That's hardly of real consequence.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  3. #23
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,216

    Re: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Rational businesses see the law for what it really is. The law is not about increasing freedom, but limiting protections to a share of customers. Most rational and reasonably enlightened businesses believe it is a fundamental right of consumers to buy their products and services so long as those customers are willing and able to do so (the demand curve). Preventing such customers from doing so is an infringement on those customers’ freedom.

    That limitation of protection for consumer freedom has business consequences. A share of customers will look elsewhere translating into lower revenue and profits than would otherwise be the case. In other words, the demand curve would shift to the left and, holding supply constant, prices would be lower, revenue would be lower, and profits lower.

    The pool of talent could also shrink as some prospective employees (whose consumer protections have been diminished) go elsewhere and some would-be business partners seek not to get involved with firms in a state that offers fewer protections. In turn, the reduction in the talent pool could have long-term adverse consequences as it relates to innovation, improvement, and productivity, all of which impact a company’s competitiveness and profitability.

    Not surprisingly, the negative publicity has led to Indiana’s Governor’s seeking some changes. Even when the changes are made, there will likely be some residual fallout from what happened. The bad publicity and related consequences were fully avoidable had the State fully thought through what it was seeking to do.
    Shouldn't we wait until after someone has actually suffered a loss of some sort before jumping to hysterical conclusions.

    This is nothing more than speculation at this point.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Shouldn't we wait until after someone has actually suffered a loss of some sort before jumping to hysterical conclusions.

    This is nothing more than speculation at this point.
    Companies differ in terms of missions, values, appetite for risk, etc. Some companies may wait until they have suffered actual harm. Others may act proactively to try to avoid suffering harm. Still others may seek to position themselves to capitalize on the possible fallout e.g., out-of-state competitors. Others may act to differentiate themselves by acting in a socially conscious fashion that they deem attractive to their existing and prospective stakeholders. One can't expect a one-size-fits-all response. The main point is that companies have a rational basis for responding to the law. I merely highlighted one such narrative. There are others, too.

    For example, Apple CEO Tim Cook pointed to Apple's values of seeking to 'empower' and 'enrich' customers in opposing the law. In an op-ed piece published in The Washington Post, Cook explained, "At Apple, we are in business to empower and enrich our customers’ lives. We strive to do business in a way that is just and fair. That’s why, on behalf of Apple, I’m standing up to oppose this new wave of legislation — wherever it emerges."

    Tim Cook: Pro-discrimination

  5. #25
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,216

    Re: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Companies differ in terms of missions, values, appetite for risk, etc. Some companies may wait until they have suffered actual harm. Others may act proactively to try to avoid suffering harm. Still others may seek to position themselves to capitalize on the possible fallout e.g., out-of-state competitors. Others may act to differentiate themselves by acting in a socially conscious fashion that they deem attractive to their existing and prospective stakeholders. One can't expect a one-size-fits-all response. The main point is that companies have a rational basis for responding to the law. I merely highlighted one such narrative. There are others, too.

    For example, Apple CEO Tim Cook pointed to Apple's values of seeking to 'empower' and 'enrich' customers in opposing the law. In an op-ed piece published in The Washington Post, Cook explained, "At Apple, we are in business to empower and enrich our customers’ lives. We strive to do business in a way that is just and fair. That’s why, on behalf of Apple, I’m standing up to oppose this new wave of legislation — wherever it emerges."

    Tim Cook: Pro-discrimination
    Well since Apple builds their products in highly discriminatory China and sells many products in a highly discriminatory Middle East...he should know. 8)
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  6. #26
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    Re: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    That's hardly of real consequence.
    You really have that filter working for ya, don't ya? The filter which keeps all information contradicting tightly-held beliefs from getting into your cognitive processes.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #27
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,216

    Re: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    You really have that filter working for ya, don't ya? The filter which keeps all information contradicting tightly-held beliefs from getting into your cognitive processes.
    I should consider the opinions of people who work for corporation to be more relevant that others?

    My faith is strong, Brother.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  8. #28
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    Re: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    I should consider the opinions of people who work for corporation to be more relevant that others?

    My faith is strong, Brother.
    When the "opinions" of those people concern corporate policies - yeah, they are more relevant than those voiced by others.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #29
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,216

    Re: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    When the "opinions" of those people concern corporate policies - yeah, they are more relevant than those voiced by others.
    How does that affect me given I don't work for.one?
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Competitors wooing Indiana businesses over 'religious freedom' law

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Well since Apple builds their products in highly discriminatory China and sells many products in a highly discriminatory Middle East...he should know. 8)
    not to mention expanding into Saudi Arabia... you know, where they execute people for being gay.

    Tim Cook is a hypocrite of the highest order.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •