Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 97

Thread: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

  1. #21
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well, as things stand Hat, tmk there is no gun advertising in the general media at all. Gun adverts are almost entirely limited to gun magazines, which have to be purchased, and gun manufacturer websites... at least as far as I've noticed.

    I've seen manufacturers tout their product's quality, reliability, accuracy, economy and similar utilities; I've seen some touted for home defense and concealed carry... can't say that I've ever seen a gun manufacturer ad that said anything like "Got neighbor problems? Try our fine line of ass-blasting firearms!"
    I think you should look into how guns are marketed today. Gun manufacturers and video games have been in bed since the days of GoldenEye '64. Video game companies pay royalties for "the realism" of real weapons. Movies marketed towards young adults have their guns provided for by gun manufacturers. I think they (gun companes) should stop doing that and promote movies where guns aren't seen as the answer to the main character's problems. At the very least, they should distance themselves by doing more than coming out with a statement every time these incidents occur.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think you should look into how guns are marketed today. Gun manufacturers and video games have been in bed since the days of GoldenEye '64. Video game companies pay royalties for "the realism" of real weapons. Movies marketed towards young adults have their guns provided for by gun manufacturers. I think they (gun companes) should stop doing that and promote movies where guns aren't seen as the answer to the main character's problems. At the very least, they should distance themselves by doing more than coming out with a statement every time these incidents occur.

    When Hollywood action movies commonly make in the hundreds of millions of dollars, I'm pretty sure they'd go ahead and just buy the guns if the manufacturers didn't offer them free.

    Why does Hollywood make movies like that?

    Because the general public flocks to see them in droves, spending hundreds of millions on tickets and more on DVDs and movie-themed games.


    Most of the guns I see on video games are not ID'd as real brands btw, but as fictional brands or sci-fi stuff. Can only think of a few that use real brands.


    What came first, the chicken or the egg? Supply or demand? or is it a "vicious circle"?


    I don't see where the gun manufacturers are responsible for our national obsession with violence. At least, no more and probably far less than Hollywood, Silicon Valley and their financial backers.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #23
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think you should look into how guns are marketed today. Gun manufacturers and video games have been in bed since the days of GoldenEye '64. Video game companies pay royalties for "the realism" of real weapons. Movies marketed towards young adults have their guns provided for by gun manufacturers. I think they (gun companes) should stop doing that and promote movies where guns aren't seen as the answer to the main character's problems. At the very least, they should distance themselves by doing more than coming out with a statement every time these incidents occur.
    Like glock 7s and DD44? Hollywood and video games aren't known for realism. James Bond games never used real gun names.

    Btw. You are asking gaming companies to make games that won't sell.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Like glock 7s and DD44? Hollywood and video games aren't known for realism. James Bond games never used real gun names.

    Btw. You are asking gaming companies to make games that won't sell.


    Actually, I'd say that the more REALISTICALLY a movie treats violence, the LESS likely it is to inspire people to engage in ill-considered violence.

    Despite my annoyance with Liam Neeson, we went to see his latest action movie a couple weekends ago ("Run all night"). I have to say it was pretty good, and it gave a gritty depiction of criminal-underworld violence, and its aftermath and consequences. Liam played a burned-out hitman, turned into a drunken bum, tormented by all the murders he'd committed over his lifetime. He'd lost touch with his son and his grandchildren; the son despised him. Yet his own connections to organized crime played a role in dragging his son into an incident that left them on the run from both the mob and the police, and nearly cost the lives of his son's wife and children, and in the end cost him his own life in sacrifice.

    It's the sort of grittily realistic film that, if you're a thinking person at all, does the exact opposite of "glamorizing violence". You walk away from it NOT wanting to be That Guy.

    Sort of like war movies that try to tell a balanced story and portray the horror of war with some accuracy, like Saving Private Ryan.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #25
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Like glock 7s and DD44? Hollywood and video games aren't known for realism. James Bond games never used real gun names.
    Call of Duty: Ghosts - Weapons List - Assault Rifles

    How many of those weapons don't exist?

    Btw. You are asking gaming companies to make games that won't sell.
    There are various multibillion franchises with fictional weapons that beg to differ.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #26
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    When Hollywood action movies commonly make in the hundreds of millions of dollars, I'm pretty sure they'd go ahead and just buy the guns if the manufacturers didn't offer them free.

    Why does Hollywood make movies like that?

    Because the general public flocks to see them in droves, spending hundreds of millions on tickets and more on DVDs and movie-themed games.

    Most of the guns I see on video games are not ID'd as real brands btw, but as fictional brands or sci-fi stuff. Can only think of a few that use real brands.

    What came first, the chicken or the egg? Supply or demand? or is it a "vicious circle"?

    I don't see where the gun manufacturers are responsible for our national obsession with violence. At least, no more and probably far less than Hollywood, Silicon Valley and their financial backers.
    I don't think you take into consideration that guns are products and like Budweiser or Coca-Cola their creators hold the right to determine where and how they're used.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #27
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Call of Duty: Ghosts - Weapons List - Assault Rifles

    How many of those weapons don't exist?



    There are various multibillion franchises with fictional weapons that beg to differ.
    I'm aware of COd. I'm also aware of 360 no scopes and all their fake violence. I'm also aware that a majority of gamers are OVER 18.

    Btw.

    Video games cause violence as much as Elvis caused sex.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    I'm aware of COd. I'm also aware of 360 no scopes and all their fake violence.
    Well, when one argument fails, then you move on to another one. I just showed multibillion dollar franchise with real weapons, which contradicts your "fake weapon" nonsense and your best answer is that some games are cartoonish in their gun violence. Well, I'm sure that somehow... what? Addresses the notion that real guns are still being glamorized?

    I'm also aware that a majority of gamers are OVER 18.

    Btw.

    Video games cause violence as much as Elvis caused sex.
    Great strawman. Does it work in the gun forum?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 03-26-15 at 02:47 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #29
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,390

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Seems to me there are a higher than average number of crazies in Florida.
    If you can't see the ocean, it's a pretty weird place.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I don't think you take into consideration that guns are products and like Budweiser or Coca-Cola their creators hold the right to determine where and how they're used.


    Not so much once they've been purchased. I'm no expert on laws regarding the depiction of products in movies (far from it), but I'd think once you bought it, you can use it pretty much as you please. Perhaps there would be certain limitations on using the brand name or logo, but not the weapon itself I'm fairly sure.

    In any case, that doesn't address the fact that Hollywood makes these movies/etc because people pay to see them. Addressing that from the perspective of holding gun manufacturers accountable for how guns are depicted in movies is a bit backwards IMHO.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •