Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 97

Thread: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    At least there would be no anonymous guns around 13-year-old kids. Could anyone tell me what's so bad about stricter gun legislation? Those who want to obtain guns will be able to do so anyways. Those who need no gun - and therefore know nothings about safety and proper storage - will face some hurdles that will stop them from obtaining one.


    Nonsense. You can't prove that statement.


    TMK at present, we have no idea whose gun it was or how he obtained it. He may have bought it illegally on the street.


    You haven't even specified what sort of gun control you want to see, that you think might have made a difference here. How can we take your assertions seriously when they are so vague?

    You assert "those who want to obtain guns will be able to do so anyway" two sentences later.... this is actually the more correct statement, as we have no evidence that gun control laws actually reduce violent crime or keep criminals from arming themselves, or keep irresponsible people from being armed. They simply turn to the black market if they can't obtain guns via legal channels.


    We've already successfully put to bed the idea that any gun control legislation then under consideration, nor any proposed afterward, would have had any significant likelihood of stopping Sandy Hook. I see nothing in your posts to indicate what would have stopped this shooting.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I don't agree that gun control would have prevented this. However, there is something to be said about a culture where guns and violence are glamorized and defined as the go-to source for problem solving. I fully understand that guns aren't to blame for this. Hell, that's my personal evolution on the subject. However, I refuse to accept that these incidents happen in a vacuum. I don't think anyone or any belief regarding guns is to blame, but I do think there exists a culture where guns are being constantly showcased as the solution to every problem and that should definitely be addressed. Whether it's done by the government or individuals, is irrelevant to me but a national discussion should be held on the matter. I repeat: That's entirely independent from the notion that guns should be banned.


    I agree we have a cultural problem with the glorification of violence. It does permeate our culture, our history, our movies and video games, it appears in music and in notions of masculinity and more.


    Not sure exactly what we can do about it, though, other than try to raise our children right, and teach them that violence should never be more than a unavoidable last resort, and never a first response to problems.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    10-11-15 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    282

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Nonsense. You can't prove that statement.


    TMK at present, we have no idea whose gun it was or how he obtained it. He may have bought it illegally on the street.


    You haven't even specified what sort of gun control you want to see, that you think might have made a difference here. How can we take your assertions seriously when they are so vague?

    You assert "those who want to obtain guns will be able to do so anyway" two sentences later.... this is actually the more correct statement, as we have no evidence that gun control laws actually reduce violent crime or keep criminals from arming themselves, or keep irresponsible people from being armed. They simply turn to the black market if they can't obtain guns via legal channels.


    We've already successfully put to bed the idea that any gun control legislation then under consideration, nor any proposed afterward, would have had any significant likelihood of stopping Sandy Hook. I see nothing in your posts to indicate what would have stopped this shooting.
    We are on 13th place in firearm-related death rate ranking. Do you think it has something to do with guns possession laws? I believe yes.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    10-11-15 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    282

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I agree we have a cultural problem with the glorification of violence. It does permeate our culture, our history, our movies and video games, it appears in music and in notions of masculinity and more.


    Not sure exactly what we can do about it, though, other than try to raise our children right, and teach them that violence should never be more than a unavoidable last resort, and never a first response to problems.
    I agree it is not only about gun controls. It is even more about bringing up you children right. But with 16% of the population living in poverty it is easier said than done. Everything is interconnected. If only we could shape the nation so easily I think this would have been done already.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I agree we have a cultural problem with the glorification of violence. It does permeate our culture, our history, our movies and video games, it appears in music and in notions of masculinity and more.

    Not sure exactly what we can do about it, though, other than try to raise our children right, and teach them that violence should never be more than a unavoidable last resort, and never a first response to problems.
    I think a good first step would be gun corporations making public statements in regards to the use of their products. I think it's time that they stopped being reactive to gun violence and proactive. Cigarette corporations, medicines and liquor companies are held to these standards. So why not guns? If it's possible to create to a culture that understands that cigarettes and liquor aren't to be used by children, and this has been around for decades, why isn't it possible for gun corporations to create a culture where guns are seen as tools and NOT problem solvers? Obviously, I speak from ignorance because I don't know if these efforts are already underway and I welcome the possibility that they are. However, I honestly believe that even if they are, they simply aren't visible to the general public and we have this disconnect between product and consumer.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    We are on 13th place in firearm-related death rate ranking. Do you think it has something to do with guns possession laws? I believe yes.


    No sir, we are not. Worldwide there are literally about half the nations of the world ahead of us in firearm deaths per-capita. Try more like 50th place.



    Your post does not answer the question posed. What specific gun control measures would you like to see implemented, which you believe would have likely prevented this shooting from happening?


    After all, there is no point in simply passing emotional-knee-jerk-response laws willy-nilly unless they are actually going to affect that which you wish to see affected. Laws which restrict the liberty of the general public must pass an even higher standard: they must be worth it.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #17
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,299

    Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    So how exactly would gun control have prevented this? You say 'nobody wants to deprive you of the right to bear arms' then you say "if there had been no guns in that household".... these are two contradictory statements.

    Most of those deaths you cite are suicides btw.
    That really should be explained. No guns? But they don't want to take them?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  8. #18
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,068
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food | Fox News

    Are we going to do something about it? Kids are dying one by one and absolutely nothing is being done. In 2010, guns took the lives of 31,076 Americans in homicides. 73,505 Americans were treated in hospital emergency departments for non-fatal gunshot wounds in 2010.

    Probably gun control is not a bad idea if you think? Obviously this incident could be avoided with no guns being present in the household. Nobody wants to deprive you from the right to bear arms, all we have to do is comply with stricter legislation. When grown up people die it is sad but when innocent kids suffer it becomes unbearable.
    As soon as I heard about one kid killing another kid over food I knew this story would take place in The South.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think a good first step would be gun corporations making public statements in regards to the use of their products. I think it's time that they stopped being reactive to gun violence and proactive. Cigarette corporations, medicines and liquor companies are held to these standards. So why not guns? If it's possible to create to a culture that understands that cigarettes and liquor aren't to be used by children, and this has been around for decades, why isn't it possible for gun corporations to create a culture where guns are seen as tools and NOT problem solvers? Obviously, I speak from ignorance because I don't know if these efforts are already underway and I welcome the possibility that they are. However, I honestly believe that even if they are, they simply aren't visible to the general public and we have this disconnect between product and consumer.


    Well, as things stand Hat, tmk there is no gun advertising in the general media at all. Gun adverts are almost entirely limited to gun magazines, which have to be purchased, and gun manufacturer websites... at least as far as I've noticed.

    I've seen manufacturers tout their product's quality, reliability, accuracy, economy and similar utilities; I've seen some touted for home defense and concealed carry... can't say that I've ever seen a gun manufacturer ad that said anything like "Got neighbor problems? Try our fine line of ass-blasting firearms!"


    Now I'll admit that once in a while I've seen a gun STORE advert that made me smack my forehead...



    Edited to add correction: I have once in a while seen a gun STORE advertise on local TV or radio stations.
    Last edited by Goshin; 03-26-15 at 02:00 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Florida teen kills brother, wounds another after argument over food

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    As soon as I heard about one kid killing another kid over food I knew this story would take place in The South.


    Yeah, because nothing stupid ever happens Out West right?




    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •