Page 91 of 320 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 910 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #901
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,073

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Say Jones is an architect who has a small, one-man office in town and is known for the artistic, aesthetic quality of several residences he has designed in the area. One day as he is sketching design ideas, Rojer and Troy, two homosexual men, walk in and tell him they admire a house he did and want him to design one for them. But they have an aesthetic idea of their own they want him to follow.

    On a trip to Tibet a couple years before, they explain, they had been quite fascinated with the way many houses there feature phallus-shaped forms in various parts of their design. The two tell Jones that as a gay couple, they like this phallus motif very much and want him to use it throughout the house he does for them. They confide that they plan to have some very sensuous all-male parties in their new house, and they make clear they want some of its design details to depict phalluses quite graphically, because they think that will lend to the erotic ambiance they want to create.

    Not only does all this offend Jones's aesthetic and artistic sensibilities, but he is also a devout, fundamentalist Christian. As such, he believes homosexuality is immoral and an abomination that should be discouraged, rather than celebrated--let alone celebrated in his designs. He does not want these clients. Can he refuse them because they are homosexuals without violating his state's law, if it prohibits public accommodations from discriminating on the basis of sexual preference, and defines "public accommodation" to include any "business"?
    The design of the house can be seen as an expression of his aesthetic, so he could refuse to design such a house because it is not his aesthetic.

    Design style is the architects "stock in trade" and it is within their rights to refuse to design a house that is not consistent with their own aesthetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #902
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,073

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I was not aware business was listed in the commerce clause.
    i'll add that to the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #903
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,785

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    i'll add that to the list.
    “to regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes.”

    Notice anything missing?

  4. #904
    Sage
    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,874

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Another primer for you...until you pass that amendment, the govt has the power to make discrimination illegal
    Another primer for you, there are 591 days till the next election. Cheers!

  5. #905
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,073

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Another primer for you, there are 591 days till the next election. Cheers!
    Yes, 591 days until we elect another dem president.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #906
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,869

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Because of such cases like Elane Photography it has compelled at least 30 states to tighten their laws in regard to such superfluous cases to ward off the wolves that are ready and willing to deny the basic rights of others in the name of their cause. Rather selfish when you boil it all down.
    I don't view attempts by government to infringe a person's freedom of speech as superfluous. And if there was any wolf who was ready and willing to use a constitutionally dubious law to deny another person this basic right in the name of her cause, it was the woman who forced Elaine to celebrate her homosexual wedding in photographs. Rather selfish of this lesbian when you boil it all down.

    Faux liberals have as much contempt for the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment as they do for the right guaranteed by the Second.

  7. #907
    Sage
    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,874

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, 591 days until we elect another dem president.
    Really? after all this hopelessness and no change left in the pockets of millions you have confidence that a Dem will win the presidency? Wow, you are a dreamer. Most folks I talk to who voted for Obama are saying he was one big ass mistake. They don't much care for his hopelessness and no change. Their concerns are all over the place, some with the incompetence of foreign affairs. Others aren't real happy with the attack on religious freedoms. I have friends of many colors and none of them are real thrilled with that one. I love my liberal friends and respect them even more when they admit their choice was a wrong one. Cheers!

  8. #908
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,073

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I don't view attempts by government to infringe a person's freedom of speech as superfluous. And if there was any wolf who was ready and willing to use a constitutionally dubious law to deny another person this basic right in the name of her cause, it was the woman who forced Elaine to celebrate her homosexual wedding in photographs. Rather selfish of this lesbian when you boil it all down.

    Faux liberals have as much contempt for the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment as they do for the right guaranteed by the Second.
    The photographer was not forced to celebrate anything, and it's the right wingers who have contempt for the 1st Amend.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #909
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,073

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Really? after all this hopelessness and no change left in the pockets of millions you have confidence that a Dem will win the presidency? Wow, you are a dreamer. Most folks I talk to who voted for Obama are saying he was one big ass mistake. They don't much care for his hopelessness and no change. Their concerns are all over the place, some with the incompetence of foreign affairs. Others aren't real happy with the attack on religious freedoms. I have friends of many colors and none of them are real thrilled with that one. I love my liberal friends and respect them even more when they admit their choice was a wrong one. Cheers!
    Your attempt to derail this into a discussion about the election is a FAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #910
    Sage
    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,874

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Your attempt to derail this into a discussion about the election is a FAIL
    You started sugar and I finished it. Good evening.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •