Page 85 of 320 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #841
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The difference is that we don't tolerate laws that allow discrimination, but we do tolerate bigots. They on the other hand, don't want to tolerate homosexuals and want to use the law to punish them.
    Wow, so you don't tolerate any laws that allow discrimination? I don't think you realize what you just said.

  2. #842
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,388

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    But that is where you are wrong. Pence is not kicking out gay people. He is simply protecting the religious constitutional rights of his citizens because there seems to be a number of citizens willing to trample their rights in the name of "justice". It isn't justice when one has to forfeit their rights to another group. Now it looks like the gay couple will no longer be able to freely drag the cake decorator into court over their beliefs. With stronger state laws the justices will have to abide. And it serves as a protection against a federal government who at times doesn't think twice about trampling the rights of others as this current administration has shown it is willing to do.
    it's revenge for gay marriage. everyone knows it. the right has a lot of retreat positions, but this is a discriminatory law, and it was passed in response to gay marriage being made legal in Indiana.

    however, gay marriage is still legal, and if the state loses enough money, the law will be repealed. because there's one thing that representatives on both sides value above all things : money and power.

    and Pence is still a piece of ****. **** him.

  3. #843
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,006

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by freeRadical View Post
    The difference is that you think you have the right to someone else's labor.
    According to the State, in many circumstances, we do. Failure to comply normally results in punishment.
    "We all of us know down here that politics is a tough game. And I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually."-Daniel Patrick Moynihan, December 5, 1963

  4. #844
    Student freeRadical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-19-17 @ 10:23 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    275

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    According to the State, in many circumstances, we do. Failure to comply normally results in punishment.
    And that's not liberty.
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place."
    -- Frederic Bastiat

  5. #845
    User Dem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Last Seen
    04-24-15 @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    131

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The difference is that we don't tolerate laws that allow discrimination, but we do tolerate bigots. They on the other hand, don't want to tolerate homosexuals and want to use the law to punish them.

    What was the motivation to create this law? Do you think it was from someone worrying about liberty? Or just plain hate?

  6. #846
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,132

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by freeRadical View Post
    And that's not liberty.
    You have a seriously skewed idea of what liberty means in a modern and civilized society.

  7. #847
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,645

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    In order to be tolerant, you have to be tolerant of people who hold a different perspective than you. Intolerance toward people you consider intolerant is indeed intolerance itself
    We tolerate bigots. We don't tolerate bigoted laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #848
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,006

    Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by freeRadical View Post
    And that's not liberty.
    Call it what you must, but you live in this country and you will obey. Under the system you would have set up, only the acceptable will have civil society. This is because you have no conception of culture. You only see de Jure liberty.

    When talking to libertarians, one must apply force to prevent the wanton destruction their ideas would cause should the world lose its sanity and actually embrace it.
    "We all of us know down here that politics is a tough game. And I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually."-Daniel Patrick Moynihan, December 5, 1963

  9. #849
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,672

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    it's revenge for gay marriage. everyone knows it. the right has a lot of retreat positions, but this is a discriminatory law, and it was passed in response to gay marriage being made legal in Indiana.

    however, gay marriage is still legal, and if the state loses enough money, the law will be repealed. because there's one thing that representatives on both sides value above all things : money and power.

    and Pence is still a piece of ****. **** him.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to forcing others to give up their constitutional rights afforded them to force what you think is just.

    Because in doing so you make a mockery of the basis of our whole government. We all have inalienable rights and among those rights are religious freedoms. Gays, straights, blacks, whites, orange because of eating too many carrots, green because of too much broccoli, all share these rights. We would be wise to stand up for all people and not just a select few.

  10. #850
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,645

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by freeRadical View Post
    The difference is that you think you have the right to someone else's labor.
    If they operate their business as a public accomodation, I do have a right to their labor.

    Quote Originally Posted by freeRadical View Post
    And that's not liberty.
    Libertarians usually have a morally perverse concept of liberty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dem View Post
    What was the motivation to create this law? Do you think it was from someone worrying about liberty? Or just plain hate?


    hate
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •