Page 33 of 320 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #321
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,486

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Actually what they are saying is that if a customer wants to refuse a business transaction based upon the business owner's race, gender, creed, sexuality, etc then they may do so, but the business owner cannot do the same in return. Sounds like you favor discrimination in one direction but not the other.
    Govt can regulate business. I know you don't like that but we don't live in the libertarian dictatorship
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #322
    Student freeRadical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-19-17 @ 10:23 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    275

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Govt can regulate business. I know you don't like that but we don't live in the libertarian dictatorship
    The government can do a lot of things.... Doesn't mean they should.
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place."
    -- Frederic Bastiat

  3. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Did that leap hurt?
    Real personal experience, not a leap. My boss allowed concealed carry at work, he sent me to a major store to use the company account to buy materials, and that store sent me out because an employee noticed my gun printing. Now you're saying I have some right to go somewhere else, but no, I don't. It's not my money I'm spending. By turning me out that supplier was harming my ability to work and my employer's ability to work.

    And all over something which wasn't harming anyone.

  4. #324
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    If I recall correctly, it was the black voters who passed Proposition 8 in the blue state of California. They aren't Republicans.

    I also don't recall anything in the Republican platform about denying service to gay people. And I also recall earlier in this month when 300+ Republican lawmakers publicly appealed to SCOTUS to recognize same sex marriage nationally.

    Mike Pence doesn't speak for the RNC or the Republican base. Nor do his actions indicate that Republicans "hate gays". He's doing what he thinks is best for his state and to ensure that the religious people in his state aren't forced into commerce against their will.
    It was Arizona last year. This year it's Indiana.. On the national and state stage the Republicans have been fighting gay marriage for years. He's NOT doing what's best for the state! Many businesses already said they're gone or not doing business there anymore. The Republican Mayor of Indy already broke ranks with Pense because he knows it's going to costs his city millions. This is a political move by him to kiss up to the religious right.
    "Big or small, I don't like rabbits. They always look like they're about to say something, but they never do."
    Raj Koothrappali

  5. #325
    A grand violation

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,837

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Ah, but when only a minority portion of the majority take it upon themselves to discriminate against a minority, the what? Especially when most of that majority does not engage in such discrimination?
    That's great, but as a member of the majority (white male, dresses mainstream), I don't need to ask myself, "Gee, I wonder if I'll be discriminated against if I try to do business here." A member of the minority would have to deal with that, and would find themselves at a significant disadvantage in the course of doing business, getting an education, etc. By making that type of discrimination illegal you prevent a de facto caste system. If the result of this is that bigots feel irritated by their inability to marginalize the focus of their pettiness, I feel that's an absolutely reasonable price.

  6. #326
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,486

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by freeRadical View Post
    The government can do a lot of things.... Doesn't mean they should.
    Whether our govt should exercise its' power is decided through the political process which is democratic.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #327
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    05-27-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    58,340

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Govt can regulate business. I know you don't like that but we don't live in the libertarian dictatorship
    A libertarian dictatorship? That would like a war between pacifists.

  8. #328
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,242

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Real personal experience, not a leap. My boss allowed concealed carry at work, he sent me to a major store to use the company account to buy materials, and that store sent me out because an employee noticed my gun printing. Now you're saying I have some right to go somewhere else, but no, I don't. It's not my money I'm spending. By turning me out that supplier was harming my ability to work and my employer's ability to work.

    And all over something which wasn't harming anyone.
    Do stores do have no guns permitted policies in the US?
    I know when I was stationed in Zagreb MacDonalds did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The damage to the black community from all this will be devastating.
    Not only on public perception and reputation, but cops simply won't want to police these neighborhoods anymore.
    The shooter was later found to be white.

  9. #329
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    05-27-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    58,340

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Depends.

    If they need to close the store for say a death in the family, no. If they refuse to serve someone because they have red hair, yes. Plain and simple, it's discrimination.
    I was hoping for some deeper reason then that. Thanks for your answer though.

  10. #330
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,691

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I don't see that as equivalent in any way. You actually have a choice - you can buy, or not buy those jeans. There is no possible way you can describe a harm from you making a choice to buy Wranglers versus Levis. You're able to choose to buy any brand of jeans. Anti-discrimination laws allow EVERYONE (as a general rule) to have those exact same choices.
    Except business owners, apparently.

    This kind of discrimination is also just not comparable. They are permitted to have terms of service and they apply those terms to all their customers. The equivalent would be Paypal, and Visa and Mastercard and AMEX denying your business service because you're black or gay or Muslim, and effectively prohibiting you from doing business online. You're saying that kind of discrimination - acts that would deny you the ability to be in business - should be allowed. I disagree.
    So one kind of discrimination is OK while another one is not. I don't find that acceptable. You can deny service to customer A but not customer B. sorry, it doesn't work for me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •