Page 313 of 320 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,130 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #3121
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,118
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    I've been watching and reading Tammy Bruce for well over a decades. She's a bisexual who calls herself a lesbian and does nothing but disparage the people she claims to be a part -- she one mixed up, self-hating piece of work.
    Are you sure she's not disparaging the actions and not the people? There's a difference you know.

    As to whether she's self-hating, how can you tell? I mean without a close and personal association with her? Has she publicly stated this self-hate?
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  2. #3122
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    What this fix does is make clear that *the Indiana RFRA* cannot be used to discriminate against LGBT.

    However, sexual-orientation/gender-identity is still not a statewide protected civil-rights class in the state of Indiana.

    With this RFRA fix then, the potential for LGBT discrimination in Indiana has been lessened, but LGBT discrimination in Indiana is not yet illegal statewide as it is in neighboring Illinois.
    True, but some cities and counties do include sexual orientation in their local ordinances.
    This may push more cities to add protections on the local level.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  3. #3123
    Sage
    Paperview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Road Less Travelled
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,392

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Are you sure she's not disparaging the actions and not the people? There's a difference you know.

    As to whether she's self-hating, how can you tell? I mean without a close and personal association with her? Has she publicly stated this self-hate?
    She writes prolifically, has a radio show, appears on Fox regularly, etc...

    We kind of know what she thinks by her words.

    She's Rush Limbaugh light with a vagina.

  4. #3124
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,346

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    There is outrage here over conservative radio and the question is why are you so jealous? Why do you care what some conservative announcer says and why is it you nor others rather than changing the channel try to put these individuals out of business?
    ? I'm jealous? I didn't originally post this, someone else did. I was just commenting on the radio host exaggeration. Anyway I don't listen any of them, either side of the aisle. I learned a long time ago to get my news from multiple sources via the Internet.

    But I know many people who only watch one station, or one news outlet and that's what they base their opinions on. And nowadays that's a mistake. This exaggeration by this Bruce person is a perfect example of why it is a bad idea.
    "Big or small, I don't like rabbits. They always look like they're about to say something, but they never do."
    Raj Koothrappali

  5. #3125
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    667

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    What this fix does is make clear that *the Indiana RFRA* cannot be used to discriminate against LGBT.

    However, sexual-orientation/gender-identity is still not a statewide protected civil-rights class in the state of Indiana.

    With this RFRA fix then, the potential for LGBT discrimination in Indiana has been lessened, but LGBT discrimination in Indiana is not yet illegal statewide as it is in neighboring Illinois.
    Stupid Republicans. Neither federal nor other states have this "fix". LOL... The gay rights lobby screams that this bill is different and needs fixed, and the pea-brained Republicans fix it by adding restrictive language that is actually different and not written anywhere else. Kudos to the gay rights lobby...sort of.

    Because the Gay rights lobby is none to bright either. Had they suggested to the GOP pinheads that they would rather have Indiana adopt a state-wide law prohibiting discrimination of gays, in return for a some kind of religious exemption it would have been a win-win.

    So - the bill's "fix" is to allow discrimination anyway, but if only there were a general law banning discrimination of gays THEN this bill could not be used as a defense. In short, you don't need a religious exemption IF there is no law against discrimination it to begin with.

    Welcome to American politics.
    Last edited by maxparrish; 04-02-15 at 12:43 PM.

  6. #3126
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,346

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by maxparrish View Post
    You needn't ask what I am saying -
    It's impossible to 'see it for what it is' if some see it as evil, because the Bill is not what some of those individuals say it is. I've read it. Have you? Have you read any detailed extended analysis? Thought not.
    These bills are quite different from the Fed bill, and the Illinois law some people have pointed to.

    And yes I have read it and read about it. And many analysis about it too. Actually I've commented and posted links a few times in this thread. These bills were vague, broad and nothing more than revenge because the religious right has lost the gay marriage battle.

    So I'm done commenting on it. That's my opinion on it, and the opinion of many more people who have much greater knowledge about it than you do..
    "Big or small, I don't like rabbits. They always look like they're about to say something, but they never do."
    Raj Koothrappali

  7. #3127
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,146

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No he wasn't. He shuffled around the question worse than I've ever seen anyone dance around a question. He could have easily said what you just said.
    Indeed. I don't think anyone is going to argue that Pence didn't fumble the response to this.

    Instead he kept changing the subject and refusing to even address the issue.
    No, he was attempting to address what the bill was actually about, not what George was trying to push it into.

    If Geroge wanted a "soundbite", Pence is such an absolute idiot....he has given the Democrats more than enough in the last week. So what is he? An idiot or a liar? He's clearly one or the other.
    he handled it badly. I don't think that makes him an idiot any more than fumbling the email thing makes Hillary an idiot.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  8. #3128
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    like we "got over" gay marriage bans? We will never stop fighting oppression. We've been doing it for 50+ years and more organized and united, with far more support, than ever
    Isn't that special! Homosexuals are so special. Especially the ones that are just so damned proud that they're not breeders that they make sure everyone knows that it's their defining characteristic. It's just.. well... special. Superduper extra special. Like my brother tries to tell me all the time. Homosexuals like him have been responsible for all the great things in society because they don't have to be bothered with breeding expectations like those boring and tedious cisgender (lol) types.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #3129
    Sic et Non


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    07-14-17 @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,716

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    True, but some cities and counties do include sexual orientation in their local ordinances. This may push more cities to add protections on the local level.
    Hopefully so.

    The situation in Arkansas is a bit different. In February 2015 both houses passed SB-202. It was introduced/passed by the same Republican legislators who introduced/passed the Arkansas RFRA.

    Under the guise of improving intrastate commerce, this law prohibits a county, municipality, or other political subdivision of the state from adopting or enforcing an ordinance, resolution, rule, or policy that creates a protected classification or prohibits discrimination on a basis not contained in state law.

    In other words, no government entity in Arkansas can enact non-discrimination laws or ordinances except the bigots in Little Rock.

  10. #3130
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    667

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    These bills are quite different from the Fed bill, and the Illinois law some people have pointed to.
    Agreed, "quite different" in specific ways, that I tirelessly point out. But did the differences in the bill, compared to other RFRA laws, provide protection for discrimination. No.

    Look you can't scream about a law that, unlike other similar laws, steals peoples rights because its different; not when "the difference" is that law is written in a different font.

    You can't show that those differences SUPPORTED this false claim. Hence the "fix" was to ACTUALLY make the Indiana law materially different than the rest.

    And yes I have read it and read about it. And many analysis about it too. Actually I've commented and posted links a few times in this thread. These bills were vague, broad and nothing more than revenge because the religious right has lost the gay marriage battle.
    The only thing vague and broad are your generalized characterizations. Its kind of daffy to whine it is "vague" when the differences that vex you so remove ambiguity about who and under what circumstances a suit can use this defense.

    It was only "broad" in its application to more kinds of entities and cases, not in its "protection" of discrimination.

    So I'm done commenting on it. That's my opinion on it, and the opinion of many more people who have much greater knowledge about it than you do..
    So what. You are wrong. And that is not just my opinion, its a fact.

    Read my links, rather than run.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •