Page 303 of 320 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,030 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #3021
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    05-22-17 @ 09:49 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    67,171

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Sounds like the law of unintended consequences, brought to us by the left.
    Pence is a lefty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  2. #3022
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    05-22-17 @ 09:49 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    67,171

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    yet no businesses have come out and even hinted at wanting to deny services.... not a single one.
    That's not true.

    This Pizza Parlor Is Indiana's First Business to Deny Service to LGBT Customers - Eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  3. #3023
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Pence is a lefty?
    No, but Bill Clinton, Chuck Schumer, a Ted Kennedy are/were.

  4. #3024
    Guru
    Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Good news!

    Arkansas has seen how the left and the LameStream has played with this issue and now their Senate just passed an RFRA. Which their Governor says he will sign the Bill. Get it to him Pronto-like.

    That should cause the left to go off on another tangent.....huh?
    As a decided not to sign until it was "fixed"! LOL!!
    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

  5. #3025
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    I stand corrected...

  6. #3026
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Reston, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,935
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Liars have won this round?
    Tell Gov. Hutchison in Arkansas he is a liar.

    I have many wonderful memories in my neighboring state of Indiana, especially in beautiful Brown County,
    where we would go to Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Festival back in the day.

    And, my wife and I STILL go to rock concerts near Noblesville--she loved Heart and put up with Def Leppard .
    As usual, Kathleen Parker is the voice of reason.

    Parker: Dear Indiana, compassion goes both ways
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #3027
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    As a decided not to sign until it was "fixed"! LOL!!
    Yeah, those crazy lefty liberal hippies owners of Walmart and their Corporation put pressure on Hutchinson so now he's decide to 'fix' the bill.

    Those liberals like the Waltons are the reason this whole issue is such a mess.
    "Big or small, I don't like rabbits. They always look like they're about to say something, but they never do."
    Raj Koothrappali

  8. #3028
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by maxparrish View Post
    No, its not. The baker or photographer were not refusing to pay taxes that go to civil ceremonies conducted by the State, they are refusing to physically (in body) create and make a product for the purpose of celebrating a gay wedding. And in the case of the photographer, she was refusing to physically attend the wedding and participate by taking photos.

    Both are being conscripted by the government, on behalf of the gay couple, to serve their beliefs and cultural practices.
    No. They voluntarily offered their services to the public, which means they do not get to pick and choose who they believe the "public" should be. The New Mexico courts all agree with me.

    http://www.nmcompcomm.us/nmcases/nmc...s/CA30,203.pdf

    {21}Elane Photography also poses another hypothetical situation in support of its argument. The hypothetical involves an African-American photographer’s refusal to photograph a Ku-Klux-Klan rally because the photographer wanted to “refrain from using her photography to communicate a message that she finds deeply offensive.” Elane Photography claims that “[i]t would be absurd to find (and this Court would, no doubt, decline to conclude) that the photographer discriminated against the Klan member because of his race.” This argument fails as a matter of law. As the district court stated that “[o]nce one offers a service publicly, they must do so without impermissible exception. Therefore, [Elane Photography] could refuse to photograph animals or even small children, just as an architect could design only commercial buildings and not private residences.” What Elane Photography’s hypothetical fails to address is the fact that, like animals, small children, and private residences, the Ku-Klux-Klan is not a protected class. Sexual orientation, however, is protected.
    Hell, the co-owner of the photography business, the photographer's husband, said they wouldn't even photograph two women holding hands, even if they weren't lesbians, gay, because it appeared as if they were.

    Gay marriage photographer case: When does religious freedom become anti-gay discrimination?

    And if "civil unions" are the same thing as marriages, except for in name, but the word "marriage" should belong solely to opposite sex couples, as some have pushed for (now that they recognize that support for same sex marriage holds a majority), then the fact that this wasn't even a marriage that she was being asked to photograph, but rather a "commitment ceremony", and refused, and in fact tried several times to use the words interchangably in her testimony, claiming that she would only refuse to photograph a wedding, then we see the real issue. It has nothing to do with the use of the word "marriage". The couple hiring Elane Photography referred to their ceremony as a "commitment ceremony", not a wedding.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #3029
    Sage

    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Abilene Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,774

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    As usual, Kathleen Parker is the voice of reason.

    Parker: Dear Indiana, compassion goes both ways

    well written and i agree with all of it

    excerpt from the article


    If even a few Christians, Jews or Muslims understand marriage to be the sacred union of man and woman in the eyes of God, activists seeking a fresh definition shouldn’t expect an immediate surrender. This doesn’t justify the refusal of a wedding cake, the baking of which hardly qualifies as an endorsement, but nor does it justify charges of bigotry, as is often said of religious people struggling with profound social restructuring.

    This isn’t an excuse for what is, in fact, discrimination by any other name. It is an attempt at compassion sorely missing from most discussions of this and other laws that try to carve out a tiny space for people whose religious beliefs are being put asunder. As gay activist and conservative author Andrew Sullivan wrote last year, “We should give them [religious believers] space.”

    Such as by, say, going to another bakery?

    The market ultimately may settle these matters before the courts do. Pence’s latest move was prompted by corporate pressure as well as a few boycotts on state-funded travel to the Hoosier state.


    the vast majority of businesses will never have an issue with SSM

    the few that do, do so because of beliefs of owners/management

    i cant imagine the stress some of these people have come under because of these issues

    you can bet they werent looking for the notoriety....
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #3030
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    05-22-17 @ 09:49 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    67,171

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    No, but Bill Clinton, Chuck Schumer, a Ted Kennedy are/were.
    Then explain Pence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •