Page 293 of 320 FirstFirst ... 193243283291292293294295303 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,930 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #2921
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperview View Post
    I live in a small town. One bakery.

    Not another one for 30 miles.

    What is the point?
    And 30 miles is nothing, right next door in these days of awesome individual transportation and mobility.

  2. #2922
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I've said that already. Certain types of discrimination are not legal, including discrimination against people for their sexuality in many states.
    Indeed and perfectly legal in most states. Including Indiana.

  3. #2923
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    What exactly is the opposite here? That you believe that certain types of discrimination aren't legal? If so, you're wrong.
    No, that certain types ARE.

  4. #2924
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,554

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Im not denying views are changing, in fact the real dichotomy here is between generations, but overall SSM has less support amongst minority groups. Its one reason why proposition 8 passed here in CA. Lefties were butthurt-but instead of "blaming" minorities for this, they decided it was safer to attack Mormons.
    California has already been discussed, but it's clear the generational divide is the biggest, followed by religion.

    The real statistic IMO is how many of us have a friend or family member we know is gay.

    Americans with a gay or lesbian friend rose from 22 percent in 1993 to 65 percent today, Cox said.

  5. #2925
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Indeed and perfectly legal in most states. Including Indiana.
    Actually, it depends. There could still be some provisions against a doctor refusing to give a couple of the opposite sex abortifacient drugs and giving them to a same sex couple. This could easily be seen as a breach of medical ethics. It would be similar to refusing to give birth control to a married woman, but giving them to a single woman.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #2926
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,370

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Listen close, Hatuey.

    Go back and read my posts in this thread again. The scope of my comments includes potential situations where anti-gay marriage supporters are being discriminated against, and how the ACLU, etc might go about selecting a case.

    Essentially you are having a discussion with yourself here. I recommend you read before you post.
    You're trying too hard to avoid your slip up, doctor. You asked a hypothetical, and you got an answer consistent with various liberal governments, laws passed in liberal states, and views expressed by liberals. You decided to deny the answer based on an issue which had nothing to do with with sexual orientation. You even threw out the "fact" (and I used that term lightly in your case) that your "practice" to back up your rebuttal. What you didn't seem to know is that this issue has been settled in California as well as 14 other liberal states so asking how lefties would handle it makes you seem uneducated about laws in California AS WELL AS laws in other states. It's no sweat. Happens to everyone once in a while to forget information relevant to their field of work.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #2927
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    No, that certain types ARE.
    I've never said differently. I've even pointed out examples of legal discrimination, of which there are many more.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #2928
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Considering that Mormons funded the proposition and the incredibly deceptive propoganda campaign...the criticism of Mormons was and is valid. Sorry.

    You talk in another post about "people outside of the state can pound sand"....LOL....you do realize that almost all of the prop 8 funding came from outside of California, right?
    Funding is another issue-its legal and I would be amazed to find out that the pro-SSM crowd isn't pouring funding into Indiana.

    However, it was a proposition voted on by voters. Voters who have to be state residents. The prop passed because of the voters, not because of funding.

  9. #2929
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I have read both statutes, and there are no significant differences between them. You are trying to peddle baloney, because you disrespect the First Amendment right to the free exercise of religion that the federal and state RFRA's are meant to protect.
    Fox News Anchor Debunks Fox’s Own Propaganda About Indiana Religious Freedom Law

  10. #2930
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Funding is another issue-its legal and I would be amazed to find out that the pro-SSM crowd isn't pouring funding into Indiana.

    However, it was a proposition voted on by voters. Voters who have to be state residents. The prop passed because of the voters, not because of funding.
    Even many of the "voters" admit that they were taken in by the rhetoric of ads funded by outside parties that made wild claims about what would happen if same sex couples were able to get married.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •