Page 292 of 320 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294302 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,920 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #2911
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The point was that discrimination is perfectly ethical and legal, excepting certain legal regulations. Science isn't based in lefty dogma, even if many laws are.
    I've said that already. Certain types of discrimination are not legal, including discrimination against people for their sexuality in many states.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #2912
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Here is a list of States with Religious Freedom Restoration Acts...

    Religious Freedom Restoration Act perils | Professor Marci A. Hamilton | States


    AZ, FL, IL, LA, SC, TX standard state RFRA
    AL, CT would have deleted or deletes “substantial” from substantial burden
    RI, NM, MO removed “substantial burden” and replaced with restrict
    ID, KS, KY, OK, PA, TN, VA adds to government’s burden: clear and convincing evidence
    MS expands to include suits between private parties
    MS applies to businesses
    MS works against homosexuals or same-sex couples


    Didn't the governor of Connecticut just ban travel to IA? But wait...

    Connecticut gov imposes travel ban over Indiana

    Thay have the same law! LOL!

    Libs, you have a lot of States you can't got to now. You better get this sorted out!
    Lolz Im reminded of an incident a few years back-the city of LA decided it was going to boycott Arizona over a law it had passed. LA gets much of its electrical power from AZ. The AZ power company actually contacted the Mayors office and asked them if they wanted to discontinue its electrical from the company-and the Mayor said no.

  3. #2913
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,816

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    There's where you are wrong. Read the statutes. I posted a link yesterday that laid out the very key differences. You might want to take a look.
    I have read both statutes, and there are no significant differences between them. You are trying to peddle baloney, because you disrespect the First Amendment right to the free exercise of religion that the federal and state RFRA's are meant to protect.

  4. #2914
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I've said that already. Certain types of discrimination are not legal, including discrimination against people for their sexuality in many states.
    And Ive said the opposite, which is also true.

  5. #2915
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,712

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I have read both statutes, and there are no significant differences between them. You are trying to peddle baloney, because you disrespect the First Amendment right to the free exercise of religion that the federal and state RFRA's are meant to protect.
    then you have a reading comprehension issue...because the differences are very clear. It would probably help you to look at the link. Its laid out in pretty elementary fashion.

  6. #2916
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,449

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I think it is. Beyond that this law only protects the business from being sued-thats all it does. I think thats reasonable.

    Whats amusing to me is minorities (who tend to vote democrat) overwhelmingly are against gay marriage. Its going to be interesting to see the left juggle this fact.
    It depends on the poll and is changing quickly:

    Polling Tracks Growing and Increasingly Diverse Support for the Freedom to Marry | Freedom to Marry

    African Americans: A national Gallup poll conducted November 26-29, 2012 found 53% of African Americans thought marriages between same-sex couples should be recognized officially and should have the same rights as straight married couples.

    Hispanics: A Quinnipiac Polling Institute poll conducted February 27-March 4, 2013 showed 63% of Hispanic voters support same-sex marriage.
    That's a pro-SSM site, so I assume they cherry picked the polls but the point is public opinion has basically flipped in just a few years, and support for SSM among minorities is changing a bit slower, but has already reached at least near neutral status. Even young evangelicals support SSM in most polls I've seen.

  7. #2917
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    It depends on the poll and is changing quickly:

    Polling Tracks Growing and Increasingly Diverse Support for the Freedom to Marry | Freedom to Marry



    That's a pro-SSM site, so I assume they cherry picked the polls but the point is public opinion has basically flipped in just a few years, and support for SSM among minorities is changing a bit slower, but has already reached at least near neutral status. Even young evangelicals support SSM in most polls I've seen.
    Im not denying views are changing, in fact the real dichotomy here is between generations, but overall SSM has less support amongst minority groups. Its one reason why proposition 8 passed here in CA. Lefties were butthurt-but instead of "blaming" minorities for this, they decided it was safer to attack Mormons.

  8. #2918
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by maxparrish View Post
    Actually it is germane to this issue. It has been recognized (at least since the 19th century) that to force a person to act, or directly contribute to, what that person considers to be a deeply immoral act, such as fighting in a war, is wrong. Apparently, some believe that while a person may opt out of fighting for his country, he/she cannot be allowed to opt out of making a particular cupcake for a gay marriage.

    Really? There is no 'compelling state interest' in universal conscription for the defense of a nation in war, BUT there is in universal conscription of bakers and cup-cakes?

    This issue has become absurd. This is not Little Rock circa 1950, and lunatic hair pulling over public accommodations is WAY out of proportion to real discrimination.



    The state did force her to either violate her religious beliefs and actively support gay marriage OR give up some or all of her business (such as giving up wedding photography in order to avoid another fine).

    I don't support conscription for war, let alone conscription for wedding cupcakes.
    No. Forcing a person to actually be involved in a same sex marriage would be similar to forcing them to be in the military. This is like a conscientious objector taking it a step further and saying they shouldn't have to pay taxes because their tax money is going, at least in part, to paying for our country to kill people in wars. After all, their tax dollars are supporting those wars without them being able to determine where their specific tax money goes.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #2919
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    And Ive said the opposite, which is also true.
    What exactly is the opposite here? That you believe that certain types of discrimination aren't legal? If so, you're wrong.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #2920
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,712

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Im not denying views are changing, in fact the real dichotomy here is between generations, but overall SSM has less support amongst minority groups. Its one reason why proposition 8 passed here in CA. Lefties were butthurt-but instead of "blaming" minorities for this, they decided it was safer to attack Mormons.
    Considering that Mormons funded the proposition and the incredibly deceptive propoganda campaign...the criticism of Mormons was and is valid. Sorry.

    You talk in another post about "people outside of the state can pound sand"....LOL....you do realize that almost all of the prop 8 funding came from outside of California, right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •