Page 250 of 320 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260300 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #2491
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,204

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Decades ago. We are in the 21st century now. Check your calendar...and you probably want to pick up a bible too if you want to have an educated conversation about the teachings of Christ..
    Ah....beautiful. To you, sinful behavior has changed with the times (or rather...because you dont like it).

    Its you that seems to struggle with the teachings of Christ. You want to use your highlighter and highlight the parts you like, and your sharpie and eliminate the parts you dont.

    Keep in mind...YOU bring it up as an argument. Since you do, you have to LIVE with it.

    Go forth...and sin no more. That doesnt change just because you want it to.

  2. #2492
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,118

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Pence said today that he did a poor job on Sunday. I agree. nonetheless, I think he's right on the larger point.
    But there is a reason he did a poor job.

  3. #2493
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,299

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So basically by people agreeing to open a business the government is not held to any constitutional amendment? Is that your argument?
    Regardless, are you OK with LGBT being discriminated against?
    Are those that could use the law based upon religious beliefs, bringing themselves into conflict with the separation of Church & State?
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

  4. #2494
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    53,470

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Regardless, are you OK with LGBT being discriminated against?
    No.

    Are those that could use the law based upon religious beliefs, bringing themselves into conflict with the separation of Church & State?
    That concept has no constitutional validity. They are not establishing a state religion or even trying to create one, so no, they are not in violation of the constitution.

  5. #2495
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    12-04-16 @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    Yeah I'm sure you follow the Old Testament word for word?

    You know you don't, it's not possible.
    Don't recall suggesting that I do

  6. #2496
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,477

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Ah....beautiful. To you, sinful behavior has changed with the times (or rather...because you dont like it).

    Its you that seems to struggle with the teachings of Christ. You want to use your highlighter and highlight the parts you like, and your sharpie and eliminate the parts you dont.

    Keep in mind...YOU bring it up as an argument. Since you do, you have to LIVE with it.

    Go forth...and sin no more. That doesnt change just because you want it to.
    I have no problem accepting ALL of the teachings of Christ. I have studied the man and know him well. Look back at your posts. It is YOU who have attempted to pidgeonhole one aspect of Christ (dealing with prostitutes) while denying all of his other teachings. Perhaps it is because you don't know much about the teachings of the man. Perhaps you are simply spouting off something that you read in someone elses posts and are trying to pass yourself off with someone who has knowledge. If so, you have failed rather sadly. I will happily discuss the entirety of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ any time you like. It doesn't take much of an understanding of the man and his teachings to know how he would view those who seek to use his name in vain to justify discrimination. You can continue to believe whatever you like....but it will never change what the man taught and what he stands for. I have never said that "Sinful behavior has changed with times" . If you can comprehend the context of the statement you are referencing, I was responding to your claim that voters have rejected gay marriage. True...they have....decades ago. Look at the course of public opinion over the last five years. Support for gay marriage has not only grown over the last five years it has grown exponentially...to the point that large majorities now favor marriage equality, which is why those desperately clinging to the hope that the SCOTUS will somehow uphold their bigoted views are soon to have those hopes dashed when marriage equality becomes the law of the land this June. This Indiana law is a new attempt by the bigots to try to find ways to retain their "right" to discriminate. They will fail as well.

  7. #2497
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,113
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    But there is a reason he did a poor job.
    He was caught off guard by the success of an attack based on vicious dishonesty.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #2498
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    12-04-16 @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Should Indiana have a law protecting LGBT from discrimination?
    The only laws to protect anyone from discrimination should be those that restrict what government entities can do

  9. #2499
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,477

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    He was caught off guard by the success of an attack based on vicious dishonesty.
    If the attacks were "dishonest" then why does the law need to be changed? It seems like the attacks were VERY honest and that it was Pence and the rest of the bigots who were being dishonest....got caught....and are now realizing that they got caught.

    Seriously...if they were being honest about the intent of the law and what the law in fact does....why would they need to change it?

  10. #2500
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,299

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No.



    That concept has no constitutional validity. They are not establishing a state religion or even trying to create one, so no, they are not in violation of the constitution.
    Laws such as these come about due to SSM which will be decided shortly by SCOTUS.
    They are expanding the garden as noted below.

    Separation of church and state in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The First Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that and Article VI specifies that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." The modern concept of a wholly secular government is sometimes credited to the writings of English philosopher John Locke, but the phrase "separation of church and state" in this context is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper.
    Echoing the language of the founder of the first Baptist church in America, Roger Williams—who had written in 1644 of "[A] hedge or wall of separation between the garden of the church and the wilderness of the world"—Jefferson wrote, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."[1]
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •