Page 249 of 320 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259299 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #2481
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,479

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Pence hit the nail on the head today at his press conference. Gross mischaracterization of the law and sloppy journalism enabled the liars to win this time.
    LOL....more like Pence thought he could pass this POS bigoted law and no one would care. He was caught completely off guard because he didn't comprehend that we are living in the 21st century and people don't support bigotry and discrimination any more. He got the wrath of the American people. There was no mischaracterization here....if THAT is what it was, then there would be no need to change the law. The fact that he is asking for the law to be changed shows that he knows his hand was caught in the cookie jar and he's realizing that he was busted.

  2. #2482
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,199
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    OK, but the "gross mischaracterization" was at least ALSO by supporters of the bill, who Pence invited to the bill signing. You keep ignoring that. Not sure why - bottom line is they f'd up and are paying the price for appealing to bigots to support the bill because it would enable discrimination.

    And sorry but Pence is an idiot. If he wanted to tamp down the "lies" about the bill not enabling discrimination, all he had to do was answer George's question just one time out of the six times he was asked if it would allow for discrimination. He chose not to. Stupid move, Governor!

    Gov. This bill is NOT about discrimination.
    George: So, Gov. will businesses be allowed to discriminate?
    Gov. You know, George, it's, like, you know, not about that, see, it's about freedom and liberty.

    Later. Gov: Why is everyone worried about the discrimination that I refused, SIX TIMES, to say is not facilitated about this bill. Gosh, I can't understand why there is any concern.... Lieberal media!!!
    Pence said today that he did a poor job on Sunday. I agree. nonetheless, I think he's right on the larger point.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #2483
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,332

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I was not being sarcastic. Were you? Freedom of religion is likewise constitutionally protected, and also falls in the category of human rights. I'm not religious myself, but I don't think it's necessary to oppress believers to liberate anyone else.
    They are not being oppressed. Going into business is a personal choice that comes with a slew of rules, regs, laws and such.
    If my post offends you, I deeply Apple-O-Jize.

  4. #2484
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,199
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Taken in by what? I've read the legal analyses and it appears, based on the law as it stands today, that there isn't a big issue with the Indiana RFRA. What's just fact, however, is what motivated it and what supporters told the public - that it WAS at least a partial license to discriminate. I've posted the links, the picture of the guys making these claims standing RIGHT THERE with the Gov at the private bill signing are on this thread. The backlash is the bed those people made and I'm very happy to see them paying a price for getting in bed with anti-SSM/gay bigots.
    So the attack on the law is justified by what you believe are the thoughts of those who supported it? Sorry, but that's not a standard I can support.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #2485
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,238

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Really? Is this why the nationwide acceptance of marriage equality has grown at an exponential rate over the last 5 years? People by large majorities now support marriage equality all across America. It isn't just (as you want to try to argue...those pesky activist judges).

    The reality is that we are living in the 21st century (no longer the 20th or 19th)...People are tired of bigotry and discrimination. Bigots will continue to pay the price for their bigotry and America will not allow people to try to use religion as a shield to practice their bigotry and discrimination.

    People can continue to try to pervert the teachings of Christ and take his name in vain to try to push their right-wing social agenda.

    The plain and simple truth is that if people who use the name of Christ to justify their bigotry actually understood his teachings and followed them....we wouldn't even be here having this conversation.

    "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these...my brethren....ye have done it unto me". "Do unto others as ye would have them do unto you". Very simple precepts to follow.
    You keep thinking that. And yet...the only true 'poll' is voting and the votes have CONSISTENTLY been in opposition to gay marriage.

    Yes...charity towards others. Amen. Great concept...great standard.

    Sin no more. Go forth...and sin no more.

    He NEVER excused the sin. You shouldnt use Him in your arguments if you know the truth is going to make you wrong.

  6. #2486
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,199
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL....more like Pence thought he could pass this POS bigoted law and no one would care. He was caught completely off guard because he didn't comprehend that we are living in the 21st century and people don't support bigotry and discrimination any more. He got the wrath of the American people. There was no mischaracterization here....if THAT is what it was, then there would be no need to change the law. The fact that he is asking for the law to be changed shows that he knows his hand was caught in the cookie jar and he's realizing that he was busted.
    They are going to amend the law because the liars won this time.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #2487
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,199
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    They are not being oppressed. Going into business is a personal choice that comes with a slew of rules, regs, laws and such.
    I don't think anyone has argued that is not the case.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #2488
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    53,565

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    They are not being oppressed. Going into business is a personal choice that comes with a slew of rules, regs, laws and such.
    So basically by people agreeing to open a business the government is not held to any constitutional amendment? Is that your argument?

  9. #2489
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,479

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You keep thinking that. And yet...the only true 'poll' is voting and the votes have CONSISTENTLY been in opposition to gay marriage.

    Yes...charity towards others. Amen. Great concept...great standard.

    Sin no more. Go forth...and sin no more.

    He NEVER excused the sin. You shouldnt use Him in your arguments if you know the truth is going to make you wrong.
    Decades ago. We are in the 21st century now. Check your calendar...and you probably want to pick up a bible too if you want to have an educated conversation about the teachings of Christ..

  10. #2490
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,479

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    They are going to amend the law because the liars won this time.
    If the law did only what they tried to claim...there would be no need to amend. The liars are the ones that got caught off guard and didn't expect the backlash from the American people.
    Pence is either an idiot or a liar. Which one?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •