Page 161 of 320 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #1601
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,250

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And I was born blonde, but because I'm not in the "protected class", I can be denied service strictly because of the fact that the business owner doesn't want to serve blondes.

    This issue has nothing to do with birth.
    blonde is not a protected class but you are in many protected classes ALL OF US are, they protect us all.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #1602
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,180

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    So what - I don't either but it's a word I hear fairly frequently in my part of the world and is how a bigot commonly refers to homosexuals, which is why I used that term.



    OK, so you're not going to address the point. Obviously the work environment I described isn't mythical. It's reality in many areas and an obvious reason why tolerant places like California attract gays from the intolerant 'heartland.' Being gay and out is still committing career suicide in many places. Much of that won't change until attitudes change, but I see no reason for the law to allow for terminations based on race, religion, national origin OR sexual orientation. Maybe you do. If so I disagree.

    But let's put it this way. DADT was an institutionalized version of that. If a person was found to be gay, it was grounds for immediate discharge from the armed forces, even for a person with a spotless record, 19 years towards a 20 year retirement.

    1) Do you support DADT?
    2) Do you support private businesses having a DADT policy?
    What does DADT have to do with my post? I'm talking about businesses being compelled to serve people who demand that they serve them, or engage in commerce with them, etc.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #1603
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,168

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya Helix. You did read the Law correct.....where again does it discriminate?
    read up :

    Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act Allows Private Businesses to Discriminate Against Employees Based on Sexual Orientation

    What the 'religious freedom' law really means for Indiana

    so, do you personally support letting restaurant owners kick out gay people? how about black people?

  4. #1604
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,180

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    blonde is not a protected class but you are in many protected classes ALL OF US are, they protect us all.
    I know it isn't a protected class. In other words, a baker can refuse to serve me because I'm blonde. A baker can't refuse to serve me because I'm gay.

    In other words, businesses can refuse service all day long - and they do. They just can't do it for a reason that is covered by "protected class". Being a pubic accommodation has nothing to do with it. The law doesn't require that anyone and everyone serve the public.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #1605
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,993

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    You can tell if someone is gay just by looking at them?
    In many cases, of course you can. Maybe not just by "looking at them" but in ordinary conversation and interactions we all provide many clues in a very short time that tell the world who we are. I'm not sure what the point is.

  6. #1606
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,993

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    What does DADT have to do with my post? I'm talking about businesses being compelled to serve people who demand that they serve them, or engage in commerce with them, etc.
    Employment is a part of commerce. And DADT (either explicit like the military or implicit such as exists in many businesses) is exactly the environment that you either support or don't. If you'd rather not take your conclusions to somewhere that you find uncomfortable or aren't willing to defend, maybe rethink your conclusions.

  7. #1607
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,250

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    1.)I know it isn't a protected class. In other words, a baker can refuse to serve me because I'm blonde. A baker can't refuse to serve me because I'm gay.
    2.)In other words, businesses can refuse service all day long - and they do.
    3.) They just can't do it for a reason that is covered by "protected class".
    4.) Being a pubic accommodation has nothing to do with it.
    5.) The law doesn't require that anyone and everyone serve the public.
    1.) then why bring it up?, yes you are correct, in many areas you it is illegal to discriminate based on sexual orentation
    2.) correct they do
    3.) also correct
    4.) 100% false because that's a major part of dictating what discrimination policy's apply. For example if I just fix cars in my back garage i can most certainly not fix cars of anybody i want. But if i have a corner shop/business that is PA then things change
    5.) correct, as you wrote it, the law does not require that
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #1608
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    In many cases, of course you can. Maybe not just by "looking at them" but in ordinary conversation and interactions we all provide many clues in a very short time that tell the world who we are. I'm not sure what the point is.
    Blacks and gays are not the same kind of discrimination. Blacks largely cannot walk into a business that doesn't serve blacks and get away with it. A gay person can walk into a business that discriminates against gays and be served because while they may choose to act a certain way or say things to reveal their sexuality, nobody is going to 100% know they are gay like they would a black person, especially since pretty much everybody who doesn't live a a cave or a small town knows guys who are super fem or women who are very butch who are straight.
    If I blow the conch and they don't come back; then we've had it. We shan't keep the fire going. We'll be like animals. We'll never be rescued.

  9. #1609
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,168

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Then take it up with Pence. I'm talking about a much larger issue. You don't see a slippery slope and I do. It has nothing to do with being gay. It has to do with being able to walk away from an offer of commerce with anyone who you don't want to do business with, without the government compelling you to accept an offer of commerce with who the laws deem deserving of your work.
    this has everything to do with gay people. it's why they passed the law.

  10. #1610
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,168

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And I was born blonde, but because I'm not in the "protected class", I can be denied service strictly because of the fact that the business owner doesn't want to serve blondes.

    This issue has nothing to do with birth.
    it has everything to do with birth. did you choose to be straight like you chose your hair color? do you think you could choose to be gay today if you wanted to? are you actually equating sexual orientation with something as trivial as hair color?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •