Page 160 of 320 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210260 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #1591
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    47,829

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    You can tell if someone is gay just by looking at them?
    uhh, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  2. #1592
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    37,271

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    ****, i don't know. you tell me. my point is that sexual orientation is analogous to race, not analogous to being a ****ing nazi.
    And I was born blonde, but because I'm not in the "protected class", I can be denied service strictly because of the fact that the business owner doesn't want to serve blondes.

    This issue has nothing to do with birth.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #1593
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    ****, i don't know. you tell me. my point is that sexual orientation is analogous to race, not analogous to being a ****ing nazi.
    I am guessing a gay person woudln't need to put on make up to walk in the front door of a business that says "No homos allowed" and make a purchase.
    If I blow the conch and they don't come back; then we've had it. We shan't keep the fire going. We'll be like animals. We'll never be rescued.

  4. #1594
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    47,829

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Then take it up with Pence. I'm talking about a much larger issue. You don't see a slippery slope and I do. It has nothing to do with being gay. It has to do with being able to walk away from an offer of commerce with anyone who you don't want to do business with, without the government compelling you to accept an offer of commerce with who the laws deem deserving of your work.
    Public accommodation laws protect everybody. It's not that particular groups are "deserving of my work." It's that certain characteristics are not acceptable for denying my work.

    I can still kick out a gay person for being a jerk. Where's the slippery slope here? What future actions do you foresee and disagree with?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  5. #1595
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    37,271

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Brewer veto the bill the legislature passed there?



    >>>>
    No idea about the law. I haven't followed it enough. I just know about the tourism because it's one of my favorite places to visit. Going there again in April.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #1596
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    47,829

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And I was born blonde, but because I'm not in the "protected class", I can be denied service strictly because of the fact that the business owner doesn't want to serve blondes.

    This issue has nothing to do with birth.

    You are in the protected class because you have a race and a gender and a religious belief. (Or lack of)

    Maybe that's the part you aren't getting. Gays and blacks arent special protected groups while straight white people aren't. Everyone is protected.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  7. #1597
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,566

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Jasper - I don't use the "f" word to describe gay people.
    So what - I don't either but it's a word I hear fairly frequently in my part of the world and is how a bigot commonly refers to homosexuals, which is why I used that term.

    And if my son got fired from his job after 12 years for any reason, I would be upset. He can get fired because his boss doesn't like his girlfriend. Or his boyfriend. Or his beard, or his blue eyes, or his large rear end.
    OK, so you're not going to address the point. Obviously the work environment I described isn't mythical. It's reality in many areas and an obvious reason why tolerant places like California attract gays from the intolerant 'heartland.' Being gay and out is still committing career suicide in many places. Much of that won't change until attitudes change, but I see no reason for the law to allow for terminations based on race, religion, national origin OR sexual orientation. Maybe you do. If so I disagree.

    But let's put it this way. DADT was an institutionalized version of that. If a person was found to be gay, it was grounds for immediate discharge from the armed forces, even for a person with a spotless record, 19 years towards a 20 year retirement.

    1) Do you support DADT?
    2) Do you support private businesses having a DADT policy?

  8. #1598
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,751

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Actually....no. The Mormon illegal activity is prop 8 is widely documented. They should have lost their tax exempt status over their activities....
    Why? The Mormons were free to oppose SSM (religous teaching) and retain their tax exemption. I think you are confusing your personal opposition to the Mormon's activities with the conclusion that they must have violated the law.

  9. #1599
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    03-17-17 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,908

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    If my kid was gay, I'd love him to death. I have 3 sons and any one of them can be gay for all I know. If my sons were kicked out of a restaurant because the owner didn't want to serve them for any reason, that would bother me. People can kick anyone out of a restaurant. They just can't kick them out and say "I did this because you're (insert protected class here)".

    I don't care who is gay and who is straight. I don't care if you want one wife, one same sex partner, or 15 wives. As long as people are of age, they should be able to marry or love who they chose, just as I did, and just as you have. People's preferences of love partners are, IMO, none of my business and none of anyone else's business.

    I'm a slippery slope girl. The law is on a slippery slope here. I've already used some examples. Because people don't want to debate without name calling, people assume I'm being anti-gay.
    the only slippery slope here is trying to make exemptions based on beliefs and fellings
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #1600
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    47,829

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Why? The Mormons were free to oppose SSM (religous teaching) and retain their tax exemption. I think you are confusing your personal opposition to the Mormon's activities with the conclusion that they must have violated the law.
    They (and by they I mean groups like NOM) violated some of the campaign finance laws regarding reporting of political donations, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •