Page 159 of 320 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209259 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #1581
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,537

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Brewer veto the bill the legislature passed there?
    This confused me as well. They have a broad RFRA that passed in 2012 apparently. In 2014 they tried to expand it along the lines of what passed in Indiana and that's what she vetoed. See the "Note" at the very bottom of this article.

  2. #1582
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,180

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    it matters because being gay is analogous to being a racial minority, not being a nazi ****.

    please tell me that you don't actually support letting a restaurant owner kick out gay people for being gay. what if your kid was gay?
    If my kid was gay, I'd love him to death. I have 3 sons and any one of them can be gay for all I know. If my sons were kicked out of a restaurant because the owner didn't want to serve them for any reason, that would bother me. People can kick anyone out of a restaurant. They just can't kick them out and say "I did this because you're (insert protected class here)".

    I don't care who is gay and who is straight. I don't care if you want one wife, one same sex partner, or 15 wives. As long as people are of age, they should be able to marry or love who they chose, just as I did, and just as you have. People's preferences of love partners are, IMO, none of my business and none of anyone else's business.

    I'm a slippery slope girl. The law is on a slippery slope here. I've already used some examples. Because people don't want to debate without name calling, people assume I'm being anti-gay.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #1583
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    50,796

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Jasper - I don't use the "f" word to describe gay people.

    And if my son got fired from his job after 12 years for any reason, I would be upset. He can get fired because his boss doesn't like his girlfriend. Or his boyfriend. Or his beard, or his blue eyes, or his large rear end.
    And not because he is christian, Latino, or male.

    Public accommodations are tailored very narrowly, and for good reason. We don't want the government picking and choosing which reasons are ok and which aren't, and we don't want them overly analyzing such decisions. But we do want some basic protections for groups who have historically suffered great harm from such discriminations.

    There's no slippery slope here. Nobody is trying to force muslims to clean up pigs blood. (Although I don't see why anyone thinks muslims would refuse to do that)
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  4. #1584
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    it matters because being gay is analogous to being a racial minority, not being a nazi ****.
    You can tell if someone is gay just by looking at them?
    If I blow the conch and they don't come back; then we've had it. We shan't keep the fire going. We'll be like animals. We'll never be rescued.

  5. #1585
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    it matters because being gay is analogous to being a racial minority, not being a nazi ****.

    please tell me that you don't actually support letting a restaurant owner kick out gay people for being gay. what if your kid was gay?

    Heya Helix. You did read the Law correct.....where again does it discriminate?

  6. #1586
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    This confused me as well. They have a broad RFRA that passed in 2012 apparently. In 2014 they tried to expand it along the lines of what passed in Indiana and that's what she vetoed. See the "Note" at the very bottom of this article.

    Thank you, yes I was thinking about the 2014 veto.


    WW


    >>>>

  7. #1587
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,446

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    If my kid was gay, I'd love him to death. I have 3 sons and any one of them can be gay for all I know. If my sons were kicked out of a restaurant because the owner didn't want to serve them for any reason, that would bother me. People can kick anyone out of a restaurant. They just can't kick them out and say "I did this because you're (insert protected class here)".

    I don't care who is gay and who is straight. I don't care if you want one wife, one same sex partner, or 15 wives. As long as people are of age, they should be able to marry or love who they chose, just as I did, and just as you have. People's preferences of love partners are, IMO, none of my business and none of anyone else's business.

    I'm a slippery slope girl. The law is on a slippery slope here. I've already used some examples. Because people don't want to debate without name calling, people assume I'm being anti-gay.
    no slippery slope. it's wrong to kick gay people out of restaurants for being gay, and it shouldn't be state sanctioned. the law is revenge for gay marriage being legal in Indiana. pure and simple.

  8. #1588
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,180

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Public Accommodation laws as a matter of course should be repealed, not special exemptions given for just religious claims. PA laws should only apply (IMHO) to government entities and possibly life-saving medical treatment (not elective procedures).


    I'd be open to a compromise though. Make it a function of getting a business license for the business to predominately display in site, in advertisements, and on their web page a "Willingness to Serve" statement that must be in-place from the time the business opens. Businesses would be able to reserve the right to refuse customers based on any criteria they choose but must information the public in advance. Such notifications would remain on file with the governments copy of the business license and would be available (just as license information is) to members of the public. A business could amend or replace their "Willingness to Serve" notification at any time, based on a minimum of 30 days having elapsed between the old certificate and the new one filed and it's being effective. Businesses then under Public Accommodation laws would only be accountable for refusing service if they didn't comply with their own Willingness to Serve certificate.



    >>>>
    I don't agree with special exemptions for religious claims either. That's my entire argument. Nobody should be getting special treatment or the right to comply or deny service - on either side.

    Either serve everyone, or do what you suggested here (which is a good suggestion, BTW).
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #1589
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,446

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    You can tell if someone is gay just by looking at them?
    ****, i don't know. you tell me. my point is that sexual orientation is analogous to race, not analogous to being a ****ing nazi.

  10. #1590
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,180

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    no slippery slope. it's wrong to kick gay people out of restaurants for being gay, and it shouldn't be state sanctioned. the law is revenge for gay marriage being legal in Indiana. pure and simple.
    Then take it up with Pence. I'm talking about a much larger issue. You don't see a slippery slope and I do. It has nothing to do with being gay. It has to do with being able to walk away from an offer of commerce with anyone who you don't want to do business with, without the government compelling you to accept an offer of commerce with who the laws deem deserving of your work.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •