Page 133 of 320 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 3196

Thread: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

  1. #1321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    To save us all some time, I'd simply suggest you find SCOTUS decisions affirming these laws due to the equal protection clause.
    The equal protection clause only applies to government. Perhaps you should read the clause you're referencing before using it as your argument.

  2. #1322
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,983

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    The way I see it, why would a gay person force a fundamentalist Christian bakery to make a cake for them anyway? Who knows what they will put in that cake if one forces them to serve them. Im sure there's plenty of other willing bakeshops that can accommodate their requests- and that way they wont have to worry about whats in those cakes. If a person does discriminate, let them be known throughout the whole community and let the market decide as to whether their business gets ruined because of their bigotry, dont let the government do that.

  3. #1323
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,845

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I see you could not find a link to such a statement by any responsible official. Your claim remains unsupported. And no, businesses in Indiana will pay no price. That's because there's no more discrimination possible now than there was a week ago.
    Funny isn't it that Pence won't say out loud what you're asserting.

    Indiana Governor: New Law 'Not About Discrimination' - ABC News

    Pence did not answer directly when asked at least six times whether under the law it would be legal for a merchant to refuse to serve gay customers. "This is not about discrimination, this is about empowering people to confront government overreach," he said. Asked again, he said, "Look, the issue here is still is tolerance a two-way street or not."
    I think the problem is the dog whistle is getting heard by the rest of us... Got to love watching him squirm on this issue.

  4. #1324
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Agree, I was talking/thinking of larger organizations. Neighborhood book clubs? No. Completely private male-only clubs at universities? Yes. Part of the justification in one such ruling claimed that a decades old social club fell under public accommodations simply because they served food to their members from time to time.
    The fact an organization constitutes a public accommodation under a state's law does not, by itself, mean it cannot exclude certain groups of people. Both the Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade in Hurley and the Monmouth, New Jersey chapter of the Boy Scouts in Dale were public accommodations under those state's laws. And yet in both cases the Court upheld, on First Amendment grounds, the organization's right to exclude persons whose homosexual views or actions they did not want associated with them.


    US Civil Rights law (Title IX) specifically exempts fraternities and sororities (and boy scouts, girl scouts, YMCA, and others). Were this not the case, I have no doubt that the boy scouts would now simply be "scouts" - maybe fraternities and sororities not far behind?
    I suspect that's because the lawyers who were advising the sponsors of that bill told them that if it if did not make those exceptions it might not pass constitutional muster.

  5. #1325
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    and what would you do if that was the only 1 cake shop within 500 miles of you? or if all cake shops were owned and run by religious opponents of your life?
    etc
    Oh look, the well in the middle of the desert argument.

  6. #1326
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,796

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    and what would you do if that was the only 1 cake shop within 500 miles of you? or if all cake shops were owned and run by religious opponents of your life?
    etc
    Open a cake shop and make some money.

  7. #1327
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The equal protection clause only applies to government. Perhaps you should read the clause you're referencing before using it as your argument.
    you asked about ANY anti-discrimination laws. do you think only the private sector could (theoretically) engage in discrimination?

    wow.

  8. #1328
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Open a cake shop and make some money.

    yeh, that's an economical and feasible solution to the problem at hand all right.

  9. #1329
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    you asked about ANY anti-discrimination laws. do you think only the private sector could (theoretically) engage in discrimination?

    wow.
    Ok, fair enough, so what is your argument towards business?

  10. #1330
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    50,368
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Indiana's Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Funny isn't it that Pence won't say out loud what you're asserting.

    Indiana Governor: New Law 'Not About Discrimination' - ABC News



    I think the problem is the dog whistle is getting heard by the rest of us... Got to love watching him squirm on this issue.
    I don't think he's squirming at all. That's an honest down-the-middle answer. Any dog whistle is a product of your imagination. I know how much you want there to be a dog whistle.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •