Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker

  1. #1
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,933

    Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker

    Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker
    Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker - The Washington Post
    The court ruled 6 to 3 that Peggy Young, who worked for the company in Landover, Md., should get another chance to show that UPS was wrong to force her to take an unpaid leave rather than give her the lighter duty her doctor had said was appropriate.
    The 1978 act, passed in reaction to a previous Supreme Court ruling, made clear that sex discrimination includes discrimination on the basis of “pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.” It also directs employers to treat pregnant employees the same “as other persons not so affected but similar in their ability or inability to work.”
    Thoughts are?
    Why would a pregnant women, not be given light duties? Not like she is pregnant forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  2. #2
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker
    Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker - The Washington Post

    Thoughts are?
    Why would a pregnant women, not be given light duties? Not like she is pregnant forever.
    The answer is in the word before "leave," that word being "unpaid." Light duty, she still gets paid, and likely at the same rate whether the duties justify it or not, as that would likely be the case for a man recovering from an accident or something not lifelong.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  3. #3
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,933

    Re: Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    The answer is in the word before "leave," that word being "unpaid." Light duty, she still gets paid, and likely at the same rate whether the duties justify it or not, as that would likely be the case for a man recovering from an accident or something not lifelong.
    She had no choice but to take unpaid leave.
    Clearly I am missing your point?

    Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker - The Washington Post
    Breyer laid it out this way: A worker making a claim that her company intentionally treated her differently due to her pregnancy must show that she sought an accommodation, her company refused but that it did grant accommodations to others suffering from similar restrictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  4. #4
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,688

    Re: Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    The answer is in the word before "leave," that word being "unpaid." Light duty, she still gets paid, and likely at the same rate whether the duties justify it or not, as that would likely be the case for a man recovering from an accident or something not lifelong.
    UPS had a light duty policy which, at the time, did not include pregnancy and as such the employee had no reasonable expectation that she would be granted her request based on pregnancy. Part of the law/ruling states that the person must "show that it did grant accommodations to others suffering from similar restrictions". It should come down to what is deemed to be a similar condition to a planned pregnancy.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker
    Justices revive case claiming UPS discriminated against pregnant worker - The Washington Post

    Thoughts are?
    Why would a pregnant women, not be given light duties? Not like she is pregnant forever.
    She was given various options in regards to her pregnancy. She didn't take them. Why? I don't know. However, my position on this hasn't changed. It'd be like a person trying to bring their kid to work, and then trying to sue their employer because they have a no children in the workplace policy. The policy was put in place because the company could be sued if anything happened to the fetus. If I were her employer, I'd make her sign a waiver that I would not be held responsible for anything that happens to the fetus before, during, or after her pregnancy.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •