Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 602

Thread: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

  1. #241
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Ah, so what you and the collective left have your panties in a wad over is that Cruz chose not to use his personal wealth to bypass Obamacare because he wanted to use the same exchanges the average American is forced to use because they don't have that option financially?

    Clearly the worlds greatest monster.
    They're pissy because he chose to use the insurance benefits that come with his job as a US Senator. I guess it's only okay when the other politicians do it.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #242
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

    Yet Kamikaze Kruz opened his kampaign campaigning against the benefits he would put in for the next day.

    Versus honest nonhypocrital Governors like Kasich who took ME for all the reasons and coasted to victory. He's one I wouldn't be nervous about .
    Physics is Phun

  3. #243
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Ahh.
    The usual Wrong quipping from Jmotivator, despite the fact it's already been busted a few time by me. (COBRA etc)

    Hey, Righties, give him a few more likes for those empty wisecracks!

    Ted Cruz Wants You To Believe He’s Legally Required To Sign Up For Obamacare. He’s Not.

    BY IGOR VOLSKY
    MARCH 25, 2015 AT 11:50 AM
    Ted Cruz Wants You To Believe He's Legally Required To Sign Up For Obamacare. He's Not. | ThinkProgress

    Newly-minted presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) admitted that he would grudgingly sign up for health care coverage through the Affordable Care Act on Tuesday, just one day after announcing that he intends to repeal “every word of Obamacare” if elected president.
    Cruz framed the decision as one of inevitability.
    [........]
    “I believe we should follow the text of every law, even laws I disagree with,” Cruz said. “It’s one of the real differences — if you look at President Obama and the lawlessness, if he disagrees with a law he simply refuses to follow it or claims the authority to unilaterally change.”

    Cruz should consider the law more closely.

    The Affordable Care Act does Not compel members of Congress to enroll in DC’s health care exchange; it simply cuts off the Government Contribution to their insurance plans if they buy their policies elsewhere. “The final rule extends a Government contribution towards health benefits plans for Members of Congress and designated congressional staff so long as the health benefits plans are purchased via the appropriate SHOP as determined by the Director,” a summary of the final rule says. “Nothing in the final rule or the law prevents a Member of Congress or designated congressional staff from declining a Government contribution for him or herself by choosing a different option for their health insurance coverage.”

    In other words, Cruz “could purchase coverage in the outside market but would get no subsidy from the FEHBP program,”
    Tim Jost clarified for ThinkProgress, referring to the acronym for the federal health care program.

    “It seems like the primary other option he would have is to take advantage of COBRA through his wife, though he’d be forgoing the employer contribution. He could also buy non-group coverage,” Larry Levitt, Senior Vice President at the Kaiser Family Foundation, said.

    Cruz could also potentially purchased insurance through his presidential campaign’s presumptive health care insurance. In those instances, however, he would have had to give up his employer’s contribution and likely pay more for insurance than he is now being charged under Obamacare.

    DESPITE initially telling CNN’s Dana Bash that Cruz didn’t pursue other alternatives because “Obamacare has wiped out the individual market, leaving Cruz with few options,”
    his staff is now explaining to reporters that Cruz might skip the DC exchange and sign up for coverage in Texas, through that state’s federal exchange. “As it happens, Cruz appears likely to forego the 75% employer contribution he could get as a member of Congress and instead access Obamacare from Texas, which doesn’t have a state exchange,” The Daily Caller reports, adding, “That means Cruz would use HealthCare.gov to get health insurance, at the same time the Supreme Court is considering ruling taxpayer [subsidies] for federal exchange customers illegal.”

    So for probably a few hundred dollars a month more, he could maintain his integrity/Filibuster.
    My God Clowns, his wife works/worked at Goldman Sachs! (just on leave)
    Bonuses alone for mere secretaries are 30-50K there.


    How bout another Wisecrack with No Content JM.
    Your posts are a Disgrace to DP.
    But hey, they're partisan enough to get lotsa likes from the boards most loyal gang.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbig

    Ted Cruz Wants You To Believe He’s Legally Required To Sign Up For Obamacare. He’s Not.
    BY IGOR VOLSKY ...
    Ah, so what you and the collective left have your panties in a wad over is that Cruz chose not to use his personal wealth to bypass Obamacare because he wanted to use the same exchanges the average American is forced to use because they don't have that option financially?

    Clearly the worlds greatest monster.
    I'm NOT 'The Left', Not close.
    (check my likes/given/received)
    But YOU are 'The Right'.
    and because you got your Butt Kicked to hell, you had to 'short quote' me and ALL relevant content, and go for Yet Another empty wisecrack. ('liked' by yet another extreme partisan)

    Bad move, you just gave me the opportunity to Post the devastating truth again.
    Enjoy it.
    Last edited by mbig; 03-25-15 at 05:47 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  4. #244
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Wait...do I understand this correctly?

    Cruz is being criticized for following the law?
    He could just not get the health insurance, pay the fine (its not like he can't afford it), and still be following the law. He would also be walking the talk.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  5. #245
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    He could just not get the health insurance, pay the fine (its not like he can't afford it), and still be following the law. He would also be walking the talk.
    The fine represents not following the law.

  6. #246
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The fine represents not following the law.
    Eh, I guess it could be seen that way. Either way, if you oppose something strongly enough and can afford it then why not pay the fine?
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  7. #247
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    He could just not get the health insurance, pay the fine (its not like he can't afford it), and still be following the law. He would also be walking the talk.
    This is his employer-based insurance. When did he lobby to eliminate employer-based insurance?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Eh, I guess it could be seen that way. Either way, if you oppose something strongly enough and can afford it then why not pay the fine?
    Because you're a government official that should lead by example? Because when you're in government it might be a good idea to follow the law?

  9. #249
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because you're a government official that should lead by example? Because when you're in government it might be a good idea to follow the law?
    ACA gives you two options: buy health insuranceor pay the fine. He's not committing murder by not buying it.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  10. #250
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Ted Cruz going on Obamacare

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Eh, I guess it could be seen that way. Either way, if you oppose something strongly enough and can afford it then why not pay the fine?
    Are there any other laws you (and apparently Americanwoman) suggest that politicians should not follow if they disagree with them? Shall a politician speed everywhere if he's against speed limits? Or perhaps if they're against laws that prohibit resturants/bars from allowing smoking, they should just be lighting up everytime they're in such a place in DC. Both of those violations of the law are similar to not adhering to the ACA laws regarding having health insurance; violations that's punishable by a fine.

    I know, it's so just confoundingly crazy that a Politician running for office would choose to take an action that doesn't open them up to attacks of breaking the law....how utterly and completely strange of him.

    I'm no giant fan of Rafael Edward Cruz's run for the Presidency, but I see nothing outlandish or condemnable of him simply adhering to the insurance allowances provided to him via his place of employment, as well as making the reasonable political move of going "I'm not a fan of this, and I know there's people out there stuck with it, so I'm going to show my solidarity by doing it as well".

Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •