Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61

Thread: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

  1. #41
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,266

    Re: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    No, that is the old testament/muslim sharia kind of thinking.
    That an idea or an action can trace its origins back over the centuries is hardly a reason to reject it, so your argument here is false.

    The death penalty is something from the dark ages, not from 2015 IMHO. And no, it is not objective or impersonal because of the subjective, irrational and haphazard manner in which people get the death penalty.
    I am glad you included "IMHO" in your quote. That relegates your response to the subjective realm of personal opinion, not objective fact. Nor can you point to anything 'irrational or haphazard' in the way the death penalty is carried out. Again that is your own person bias not something based upon reality.

    And it is worse because the criminal will be confronted with the results of his actions and he will have to think about what he did for the rest of his life (long life). At least that is my opinion.
    Yet these same criminals you pretend are haunted by their acts do whatever they can to prolong their own lives and avoid the death penalty. Your error here is to put your own feelings into the minds of cold blooded killers. You ASSUME they feel remorse because you would.
    Nothing you wrote here counters

  2. #42
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    There is little doubt that the state has executed the innocent. I don't know if you're familiar with Cameron Todd Willingham, but his case is very disturbing. There's no way that he should've been convicted let alone put to death based on evidence and He was probably innocent, but that's Texas for you. In a perfect legal system I would be for the death penalty, but when there is a chance that one innocent person could be put to death under our system. I will not support the death penalty.
    And it's one of the main problems. People's zeal to kill those they think are guilty also kills innocents because we lack perfect knowledge. So when you consider that the death penalty is not a deterrent, it does not provide any additional security to society on whole, it's exceptionally expensive, and it consumes innocent life; there seems to be very few rational reasons to keep it around. I think some just want to deem certain actions so toxic that they are morally obligated to kill the accused because they want that guy dead, not because it brings additional justice or security.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #43
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    That an idea or an action can trace its origins back over the centuries is hardly a reason to reject it, so your argument here is false.
    So the "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, hand for a hand, foot for a foot" comes from the works of doctor Seuss?

    Sorry, but the big supporters of the old testament are often also supporters of the above "eye for an eye" statement/feeling.

    And no, just because something is from even before the dark ages/days when people believed in spirits, witches and other idiotic things does not mean something has to be rejected. But in the past several thousands years one would hope that mankind would evolve and one of these evolving things would be the end of archaic punishments like the death penalty IMHO.

    And to be in the group of countries currently (in the past ten years) use the death penalty:

    Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Botswana, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, North Korea, Lebanon, Malaysia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, USA, Vietnam and Yemen.

    That to me is a not group of countries one wants to belong to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I am glad you included "IMHO" in your quote. That relegates your response to the subjective realm of personal opinion, not objective fact. Nor can you point to anything 'irrational or haphazard' in the way the death penalty is carried out. Again that is your own person bias not something based upon reality.
    The death penalty is often used arbitrarily, depends greatly on the quality of the defense (most rich people can afford to hire top lawyers who know to weasel their rich and important clients away from the death penalty), a lot of cases depend on jail house snitches/plea bargaining, there was one DA who actually said that the color of someone's skin was part of why he wanted the death penalty, etc. etc. etc., the color of skin, the location where they live, the willingness of a DA to want to get death penalties and some might even want to go after the death penalty for their future political careers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Yet these same criminals you pretend are haunted by their acts do whatever they can to prolong their own lives and avoid the death penalty. Your error here is to put your own feelings into the minds of cold blooded killers. You ASSUME they feel remorse because you would.
    Nothing you wrote here counters
    No, I hope they are haunted by their own conscience. The punishment is the jailing for the rest of their lives.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  4. #44
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,787

    Re: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    That an idea or an action can trace its origins back over the centuries is hardly a reason to reject it, so your argument here is false.

    I am glad you included "IMHO" in your quote. That relegates your response to the subjective realm of personal opinion, not objective fact. Nor can you point to anything 'irrational or haphazard' in the way the death penalty is carried out. Again that is your own person bias not something based upon reality.

    Yet these same criminals you pretend are haunted by their acts do whatever they can to prolong their own lives and avoid the death penalty. Your error here is to put your own feelings into the minds of cold blooded killers. You ASSUME they feel remorse because you would.
    Nothing you wrote here counters
    Do your research on the DP - it meets your very low standard of haphazard.
    2 % of the counties responsible for the vast majority of DP cases.
    DA hiding evidence. No penalties
    Innocents convicted and needless to say dead as we are posting
    Racial bias.

    2 links.

    DPIC | Death Penalty Information Center

    Holding Prosecutors Accountable
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  5. #45
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    02-18-17 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Short rope, long drop - proven effective and even the rope can be reused.
    I'm sure the ACLU would file a lawsuit based on a dubious claim of some sort that the state would have to use a new rope for each execution.
    Last edited by Blemonds; 03-24-15 at 08:40 PM.

  6. #46
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    02-18-17 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Utah to allow firing squads for executions - CNN.com


    Legal challenges to the drug mixes used.
    Why not use the Chinese method- Shot to the back of the head, or a 22 cal, thru the ear canal, bullet bounces around the skull scrambles the brain.
    This story is a big to do over nothing. First off, it only establishes that the state of Utah may use the firing squad in the advent that lethal injection is not available at the time of a scheduled execution. Second, the last execution in Utah was that of Ronnie Lee Gardner in June 2010, executed by, you guessed it, firing squad.

  7. #47
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Blemonds View Post
    I'm sure the ACLU would file a lawsuit based on a dubious claim of some sort that the state would have to use a new rope for each execution.
    The rope (new or used) is not cruel and the same rope cannot be considered unusual.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #48
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Short rope, long drop - proven effective and even the rope can be reused.
    better yet, the organs can be harvested for those with medical needs. Not so with electrocution, or a hot needle



  9. #49
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,914
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    better yet, the organs can be harvested for those with medical needs. Not so with electrocution, or a hot needle
    I always been in favor of the guillotine. Fast, quick, relative painless. Surefire.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #50
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Utah to allow firing squads for executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I always been in favor of the guillotine. Fast, quick, relative painless. Surefire.
    one of the few things the french got right
    BTW I am not a fan of the death penalty. I think its the easy way out



Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •