Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 624

Thread: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

  1. #581
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,434

    Re: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Are you not clear as to what the information I provided supports?

    As for calling his diatribe bs? It is. Nothing more needs be stated.
    I'm not fluent in Farsi, are you?

    Since I'm not fluent in Farsi, but am fluent in two other languages, I understand how easy it is to mistranslate phrases from one language to anther.

    But, not being fluent in Farsi, I can only conclude that the phrases in question were or weren't mistranslations based on the evidence presented.

    And, "that's BS" is not evidence.
    “It’s an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.” Donald Trump



  2. #582
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,002

    Re: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I'm not fluent in Farsi, are you?

    Since I'm not fluent in Farsi, but am fluent in two other languages, I understand how easy it is to mistranslate phrases from one language to anther.

    But, not being fluent in Farsi, I can only conclude that the phrases in question were or weren't mistranslations based on the evidence presented.

    And, "that's BS" is not evidence.
    They meant what was said.

    Trying to obfuscate with bs doesn't change that.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #583
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,434

    Re: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    They meant what was said.

    Trying to obfuscate with bs doesn't change that.
    But what was actually said?

    Do you speak more than one language? If you do, then you know how easy it is to interpret a phrase in one as having a different meaning in another.
    “It’s an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.” Donald Trump



  4. #584
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,002

    Re: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    But what was actually said?

    Do you speak more than one language? If you do, then you know how easy it is to interpret a phrase in one as having a different meaning in another.
    Again; They meant what was said.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #585
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    10-15-16 @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    587

    Re: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Again; They meant what was said.


    And if Khomeini did mean what he said, what Khomeini said was: "“This occupation regime over Jerusalem must vanish from the arena of time.”*

    NOT:

    Israel “must be wiped off the face of the map,”



    "Sadjadpour said Khamenei (The man being discussed in this thread) has been consistent, stating repeatedly that the goal is not the military destruction of the Jewish state but “the defeat of Zionist ideology and the dissolution of Israel through a ‘popular referendum.’”


    Just because you want to believe a falsehood doesn't make that falsehood true.


    It comes down to your preconception against Karim Sadjadpour's expertise & the knowledge of every articulate Farsi - English speaker.


    Sadjadpour, who has closely studied the statements of Khamenei, has infinitely more knowledge & credibility in this issue than you.


    You are welcome to believe that the earth is flat & welcome to dismiss the reality that it is round as "BS". Just don't expect rational & educated people to believe you.


    The point of correcting deliberate mistranslations is to prove that Iran's leaders are not as threatening & dangerous as we have been led to believe and that there are those who would like us to see Iran as a greater threat than it really is.


    _________________
    Quoted information above from:
    “Did Ahmadinejad really say Israel should be ‘wiped off the map’?”
    Did Ahmadinejad really say Israel should be ‘wiped off the map’? - The Washington Post

  6. #586
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44

    Re: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

    The sad thing is, most foreigners lump U.S. citizens in with the Federal Government as if all American citizens unanimously endorse everything the Federal government perpetrates when it is quite the contrary.

  7. #587
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,002

    Re: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

    Quote Originally Posted by B'smith View Post
    And if Khomeini did mean what he said, what Khomeini said was: "“This occupation regime over Jerusalem must vanish from the arena of time.”*

    NOT:

    Israel “must be wiped off the face of the map,”



    "Sadjadpour said Khamenei (The man being discussed in this thread) has been consistent, stating repeatedly that the goal is not the military destruction of the Jewish state but “the defeat of Zionist ideology and the dissolution of Israel through a ‘popular referendum.’”


    Just because you want to believe a falsehood doesn't make that falsehood true.


    It comes down to your preconception against Karim Sadjadpour's expertise & the knowledge of every articulate Farsi - English speaker.


    Sadjadpour, who has closely studied the statements of Khamenei, has infinitely more knowledge & credibility in this issue than you.


    You are welcome to believe that the earth is flat & welcome to dismiss the reality that it is round as "BS". Just don't expect rational & educated people to believe you.


    The point of correcting deliberate mistranslations is to prove that Iran's leaders are not as threatening & dangerous as we have been led to believe and that there are those who would like us to see Iran as a greater threat than it really is.


    _________________
    Quoted information above from:
    “Did Ahmadinejad really say Israel should be ‘wiped off the map’?”
    Did Ahmadinejad really say Israel should be ‘wiped off the map’? - The Washington Post
    More bs from you. Figures.
    What is sad is that you ignore "all official translations" of what his people say it meant.


    Regardless, you were quoting me speaking about another thing.

    Again;
    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Bs!


    Iran militia chief: Destroying Israel is ‘nonnegotiable’

    Basij commander Mohammad Reza Naqdi also threatens Saudis, saying their fate will be like that of Saddam Hussein


    The commander of the Basij militia of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said that “erasing Israel off the map” is “nonnegotiable,” according to an Israel Radio report Tuesday.

    [...]

    In 2014, Naqdi said Iran was stepping up efforts to arm West Bank Palestinians for battle against Israel, adding the move would lead to Israel’s annihilation, Iran’s Fars news agency reported.

    “Arming the West Bank has started and weapons will be supplied to the people of this region,” Naqdi said.

    “The Zionists should know that the next war won’t be confined to the present borders and the Mujahedeen will push them back,” he added. Naqdi claimed that much of Hamas’s arsenal, training and technical knowhow in the summer conflict with Israel was supplied by Iran.

    [...]

    Iran militia chief: Destroying Israel is 'nonnegotiable' | The Times of Israel
    Last edited by Excon; 04-02-15 at 08:08 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #588
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    10-15-16 @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    587

    Re: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    More bs from you. Figures.
    What is sad is that you ignore "all official translations" of what his people say it meant.


    Regardless, you were quoting me speaking about another thing.

    Again;
    ___________________



    Nothing matters except for ACCURATE translations in all cases relating to Iranian quotes from Farsi.

    If by "official translations", you mean the "Wipe Israel...." , that is a fraudulent mistranslation and is NOT what the speaker said even if you consider it "Official".


    A few hundred years ago, the "Official version" was that the earth was flat

    Since then it has been discovered that that conception is false & the earth is not flat.



    It is the same with those "Wipe Israel...." quotes even if you (or others) consider them "Official"

    The earth is not flat nor did Khamenei (& others) threaten to "Wipe Israel from the face of the earth"

    The source you cited "Times of Israel" is among those who repeated / helped spread earlier mistranslations & are untrustworthy.




    An "Official" mistranslation is just as false as an "unofficial" mistranslation.


    I can't make this any simpler.

    Do you understand the meaning of "mistranslation"?

  9. #589
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    More bs from you. Figures.
    What is sad is that you ignore "all official translations" of what his people say it meant.


    Regardless, you were quoting me speaking about another thing.

    Again;
    "Official" lol.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #590
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,002

    Re: Khamenei calls ‘Death to America’ as Kerry hails progress on nuke deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    "Official" lol.


    Yes "Official".


    From the link B'smith provided.

    Ahmadinejad slightly misquoted Khomeini, substituting “safheh-i ruzgar,” or “page of time" for "sahneh-i ruzgar" or “arena of time.” But in any case, the old translation was dug up and used again by the Iranian news agency, Cole says. In fact, that’s how it was presented for years on Ahmadinejad’s English-language Web site, as the Times noted in a somewhat defensive article on the translation debate.

    But the story doesn’t end there. Karim Sadjadpour, an Iranian specialist at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, notes that Iranian government entities began to erect billboards and signs with the “wipe off” phrase in English. Joshua Teitelbaum of the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs compiled an interesting collection of photographs of these banners, such as one on the building that houses reserve military forces of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. “Israel should be wiped out of the face of the world,” the sign reads in English.


    Did Ahmadinejad really say Israel should be ‘wiped off the map’? - The Washington Post

    Which links to the following info.

    But translators in Tehran who work for the president's office and the foreign ministry disagree with them. All official translations of Mr. Ahmadinejad's statement, including a description of it on his Web site (www*president*ir/eng/), refer to wiping Israel away. Sohrab Mahdavi, one of Iran's most prominent translators, and Siamak Namazi, managing director of a Tehran consulting firm, who is bilingual, both say "wipe off" or "wipe away" is more accurate than "vanish" because the Persian verb is active and transitive.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/we...11bronner.html


    So again; Yes, Official.

    This bs that they didn't mean what even they say they meant, is absurd.





    Quote Originally Posted by B'smith View Post
    Nothing matters except for ACCURATE translations in all cases relating to Iranian quotes from Farsi.

    If by "official translations", you mean the "Wipe Israel...." , that is a fraudulent mistranslation and is NOT what the speaker said even if you consider it "Official".
    Your comments are absurd.
    The accurate translation is exactly what they said it means.
    Do you really not understand that?

    You do not get to discount what they say it means. They decide that, not you, and not someone trying to spin what they mean.

    They told you what it means and that is the final word on it.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •