Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 490

Thread: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

  1. #371
    Sage

    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,694

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    Your opinion is duly noted and given the attention it deserves.
    Obviously it deserved enough attention that you bothered to respond. Have a nice evening.

  2. #372
    Sage

    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,694

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You just can't help yourself, can you? - instead of speaking to the OP and the issued raised, you have to rely on continuing a strawman argument that is totally irrelevant. It's like arguing that it's better to live in Detroit than Mogadishu therefore Detroit is wonderful and perfect.
    Detroit is almost as bad a Mogadishu.

  3. #373
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,419

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    It's not just about cost. I will be 62 this year. I already have some minor arthritis going in one shoulder. I at some point, I need a hip replacement.....in Canada under their single payer system, there is a waiting list. Not the case here. And I sympathize with the outrageous bills you were faced with, however I suspect that it was a combination of whatever health insurance you were on and price gouging at the point of service. I don't think it's the norm. Not all insurance policies are equal. In the last ten Since 1999, and prior to Obamacare, I have had my gallbladder out, four eye surgeries, and a hernia repair. My out of pocket cost with insurance for the eye surgeries was less then $200.00 Less then $1000.00 for the gall bladder, and the hernia repair. If I had continued to maintain private health insurance after Obamacare passed, there is no doubt I would have been hit as bad or worse then your example. My point is that the US Healthcare system did work reasonably well before the government tinkered with it. And it can again.



    I think we cordially agreed that we will not agree in regards to a single payer system versus private healthcare. However the debate is still interesting. If anyone makes a point I disagree with, I will still at times respond and put in my two cents.
    we have different experiences which probably contribute to the disagreement. i have good insurance by my generation's standards, and you have good insurance by your generation's standards. it has eroded so much, though, that the kind of insurance i have would probably have been considered exceptionally ****ty by your generation's standards. my guess is that Gen Y and the Millenials have it even worse. i have just pretty much had it with the American system. about a month after cutting my thumb, i probably should have gone to the hospital because i couldn't stop throwing up, but there was no ****ing way i was giving those assholes another dime. they sent me two bills for the same thing when i had my thumb superglued. i thought that it was a mistake, and they told me that it was two different companies. they are milking it for everything that they can get because it's an essential service with inelastic demand.

    when i was born, my parents had very little money, and i had to have life saving lung surgery. they didn't have to go bankrupt. my girl and i are hoping to get married soon and have kids, and i'm pretty scared about the bills. my parents didn't need to be afraid of that. people in many other first world countries don't have to be worried about being bankrupted because they get sick or have a kid. we can do better. i don't believe that i'm going to die on a waiting list, but i know for a fact that if i lose my job, that insurance is gone unless i COBRA. that is just a stupid way to do it.

  4. #374
    Sage

    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,694

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Like Pavlov's dog, every post from you starts with your strawman challenge.

    Actually, I'll bet posters from Canada and Europe wouldn't mind your healthcare system because we'd be able to manage it much better, eliminating all the wasteful spending on tort insurance and multiple tests/procedures/medications that only serve the purpose of indemnifying healthcare professionals from your out of control civil litigation lawyers and the greed of the public to score a lottery win every time they visit a doctor.
    Excellent point. One of the biggest hurdles to lowering the cost of private healthcare in the US is the jackpot justice system in the US. It affects not only healthcare, but many other aspects of business in the US. For instance a man bought a new BMW automobile in Alabama and discovered that the body of the car had minor damage in the production line that was repaired before he took delivery. He sues for 2 million dollars. There is no way in hell that he was damaged to the point of 2 million dollars, however in too many cases, juries are awarding such outageous amounts. Many retail outlets, especially department stores and supermarkets have to carry outrageous amounts of insurance and have lawyers on retainer to fend off lawsuits over falls that in many cases staged. Canada and most European nations have some control over frivolous lawsuits. In the US, there are no coherent limits. Our healthcare system, pre-obamacare would likely be much less expensive in Europe and Canada.

  5. #375
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,927

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Just another example of greed and socio-economic stratification...

  6. #376
    Guru
    Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,202

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Obviously it deserved enough attention that you bothered to respond. Have a nice evening.
    I will, thanks.
    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

  7. #377
    Guru
    Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,202

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    You didn't give an answer. You just repeated a bunch of unsubstantiated " Yay ObamaCare " rhetoric.

    It needed to be dealt with accordingly. Hope you understand.
    From you? I understand quite well.
    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

  8. #378
    Sage

    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,694

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    we have different experiences which probably contribute to the disagreement. i have good insurance by my generation's standards, and you have good insurance by your generation's standards. it has eroded so much, though, that the kind of insurance i have would probably have been considered exceptionally ****ty by your generation's standards. my guess is that Gen Y and the Millenials have it even worse. i have just pretty much had it with the American system. about a month after cutting my thumb, i probably should have gone to the hospital because i couldn't stop throwing up, but there was no ****ing way i was giving those assholes another dime. they sent me two bills for the same thing when i had my thumb superglued. i thought that it was a mistake, and they told me that it was two different companies. they are milking it for everything that they can get because it's an essential service with inelastic demand.
    You obviously had a bad experience. However it is not common to everyone else. My guess is that you had lousy insurance compared to what most Americans have had. You are about us having different experiances. Good or bad, not knowing your age....the difference may be how many experiances. As I have pointed out, I will be 62 before the year is up and I remember when healthcare was not all that expensive. If we count back to 1980.....I had nasal surgery that included an overnight hospital stay. My out of pocket cost was $104.00. My point is that private healthcare has not always been so expensive.Back then, I earned a lot less money and yet still barely noticed the payroll deductions for health insurance. There is no reason why it cannot be affordable again without a government takeover.



    when i was born, my parents had very little money, and i had to have life saving lung surgery. they didn't have to go bankrupt. my girl and i are hoping to get married soon and have kids, and i'm pretty scared about the bills. my parents didn't need to be afraid of that. people in many other first world countries don't have to be worried about being bankrupted because they get sick or have a kid. we can do better. i don't believe that i'm going to die on a waiting list, but i know for a fact that if i lose my job, that insurance is gone unless i COBRA. that is just a stupid way to do it.
    My parents were low income as well. My father worked one full time job and two part time jobs during the early part of my childhood, yet we had the typical family medical emergencies. They never went bankrupt and managed to put us through private school. Nobody should have to go bankrupt today either. I think we should just seek to make private healthcare as affordable as it used to be....and without the government taking it over. And once again single payer would not make it less expensive to provide healthcare. It would merely redistribute it and ration it. Any real solution would address the actual cost. Nobody is going to sell you a widget for $100.00 that costs $500.00 to make.

  9. #379
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,389

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    From you? I understand quite well.
    Its just getting hard to take you people seriously.

    For 8 years you raged over supposed lies about WMD and " Halliburton ". Back then you took a ethical stand ( over made up Democrat narratives ) and demanded accountability and disclosure.

    But when faced with substantial and proven examples of lies and obstruction from your own President you clam up.

    No outrage, no demands for accountability, no nothing.

  10. #380
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,419

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    You obviously had a bad experience. However it is not common to everyone else. My guess is that you had lousy insurance compared to what most Americans have had. You are about us having different experiances. Good or bad, not knowing your age....the difference may be how many experiances. As I have pointed out, I will be 62 before the year is up and I remember when healthcare was not all that expensive. If we count back to 1980.....I had nasal surgery that included an overnight hospital stay. My out of pocket cost was $104.00. My point is that private healthcare has not always been so expensive.Back then, I earned a lot less money and yet still barely noticed the payroll deductions for health insurance. There is no reason why it cannot be affordable again without a government takeover.
    an overnight stay would cost me more than i'm willing to pay unless i absolutely have to. my max out of pocket for the year is something like $7,500, and that is still pretty damned low for someone of my generation. but that would be really hard to float, and i'm paying almost three hundred a month already.


    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    My parents were low income as well. My father worked one full time job and two part time jobs during the early part of my childhood, yet we had the typical family medical emergencies. They never went bankrupt and managed to put us through private school. Nobody should have to go bankrupt today either. I think we should just seek to make private healthcare as affordable as it used to be....and without the government taking it over. And once again single payer would not make it less expensive to provide healthcare. It would merely redistribute it and ration it. Any real solution would address the actual cost. Nobody is going to sell you a widget for $100.00 that costs $500.00 to make.
    my folks only had a hard time financially until i was about six or seven. i didn't have it rough, so i don't want to give you that impression. however, i see people in other first world countries who don't worry as much about getting sick or old from a financial standpoint, and they don't worry that they might not be able to leave their kids whatever they managed to save up. i just don't see a private, for profit system fixing that. what are you going to do, not get treatment? it's not a situation in which the free market works very well. i don't oppose people making money providing health care to others. i just think that all basic care should be covered publicly like we do for the poor and for older people. i suppose in a few years when you are on medicare you can tell me a little bit more about the strengths and weaknesses of that system. my parents are on medicare now, and they are fairly happy with it so far.

Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •