Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 490

Thread: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

  1. #221
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-20-17 @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,283

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I know. I know

    Next year will be a disaster
    I never said that, I said that companies have to be ready for upcoming expenditures and this is part of the reason they are holding on to cash right now and the ACA is one of the biggest ones they are preparing for. No disasters on the horizon, just sound business practice.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  2. #222
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Abilene Texas
    Last Seen
    06-07-17 @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,791

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    i await the decision on this:


    WASHINGTON -- Experts have a pretty good sense of what will happen if the Supreme Court rules in favor of the plaintiffs in King v. Burwell, cutting off Obamacare’s tax credits in roughly two-thirds of the states. Without that financial assistance, most of the people now buying insurance through healthcare.gov, the online marketplace run by the federal government, wouldn’t be able to pay for their coverage anymore.

    A ruling wouldn’t affect people living in states like California and Kentucky, which operate their own insurance marketplaces. But the results in the rest of the country would be dramatic and visible. More than 8 million people would end up uninsured, according to estimates by the non-partisan Urban Institute. Economic disarray would follow, as panicked insurance companies hiked premiums and pulled out of markets suddenly bereft of customers.

    What the experts can’t say is how people would feel about such a shock, because it’s hard to think of a time when government took away benefits from so many people, across such a large swath of the country, within such a short time. There just isn’t a great historical analogue for predicting how people would react -- or, for that matter, how that reaction would affect politics. Even veteran strategists seem stumped.

    But one recent episode may offer some clues. It comes, ironically enough, from Obamacare’s own history.

    In the fall of 2013, insurance companies canceled coverage for millions of Americans, either because the old policies weren’t up to Obamacare’s standards or because the insurers decided the old policies were no longer profitable to sell. The cancellations surprised most Americans, not least because President Barack Obama had famously promised that people who liked their old insurance plans could keep them. You couldn’t turn on the television without hearing from somebody dismayed, angry, or scared about what was happening. Looking back at 2013, it’s hard to remember a time when, for better or worse, a change in domestic policy created so much turmoil.

    The Freakout From An Obamacare Ruling Could Be Unlike Anything We've Seen


    this will kill the ACA completely if it goes against the administration

    without the credits, people wouldnt be able to afford the plans
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #223
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,988

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    I never said that, I said that companies have to be ready for upcoming expenditures and this is part of the reason they are holding on to cash right now and the ACA is one of the biggest ones they are preparing for. No disasters on the horizon, just sound business practice.
    Preparing for....what exactly?

    The only piece that is not in place is an employer mandate that will only affect businesses under 100 and over 50 employees, and 95% of those already offer health care.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  4. #224
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    I never said that, I said that companies have to be ready for upcoming expenditures and this is part of the reason they are holding on to cash right now and the ACA is one of the biggest ones they are preparing for. No disasters on the horizon, just sound business practice.
    Yeah, I know

    Next year there will massive expense. So big that the 500 companies talked about in the OP will have to spend an average of $2.8 billion each ($1.4T divided by 500) to cover
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #225
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-20-17 @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,283

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yeah, I know

    Next year there will massive expense. So big that the 500 companies talked about in the OP will have to spend an average of $2.8 billion each ($1.4T divided by 500) to cover
    Once again you're putting words in my mouth. I never said that it was the only cost, just that it was one of the biggest ones.
    Integrity shouldn't just be the word of the day for November 17, 2012, it should be part of how you deal with other people..
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  6. #226
    Sage

    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,901

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The employer mandate is fully enforced at this moment? I know it was delayed until after the 2014 election, but did it actually kick in?
    Actually Hussein(Obama) delayed the employer mandate until 2016 in hopes of the democrats not catching the wrath in the 2014 midterm elections. He was not savvy enough to work out that employers do not just sit around and wait for such policies to come into effect. They start to prepare a year or two in advance and change their hiring practices and adjust their capital investments accordingly. And the delay did not help the democrats. They were devastated in the 2014 midterms.

  7. #227
    Sage

    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,901

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that most of the companies that are holding tons of money already offered insurance before the ACA, so they don't really have a need to hold money due to concerns about the ACA.
    The difference is that when the employer mandate hit's it will be prohibitively more expensive to provide that insurance due to the amount of coverage mandates and taxes that will come with it. That is why they are not only holding onto cash flow, they are simply hiring massively fewer full time employees.

  8. #228
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,988

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    The difference is that when the employer mandate hit's it will be prohibitively more expensive to provide that insurance due to the amount of coverage mandates and taxes that will come with it. That is why they are not only holding onto cash flow, they are simply hiring massively fewer full time employees.
    I still think it's funny that your username highlights the thing you seem to know nothing about.

    The employer mandate will affect very few businesses- those that have between 50-100 employees that do not currently offer insurance. 90% of those businesses already do, and virtually 100% do with 100+ employees.

    So the cash reserves of corporations have absolutely nothing to do with the ACA, and the employer mandate is a pretty small piece of the ACA anyway.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  9. #229
    Sage

    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,901

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Here in Ontario, Canada, almost 50% of every government revenue dollar is spent on healthcare services of some kind. However, even with that large outlay, the single payer system funds only about 40% of all pharmaceuticals, primarily for the very poor and through hospital care - the other 60% is paid for by the patient. As well, each year, more and more services are delisted from the program and become patient paid. Our single payer system doesn't cover dentistry, optometry, chiropractic, orthopedics, etc. This is why most working people have supplementary health insurance plans with their employer and many self employed and retired people purchase additional coverage themselves at significant individual cost.

    But as you say, we here in Canada have known nothing else - the system has been in place for over half a century and very few Canadians would ever agree to give it up. But we are moving more and more towards a private supply system because the public system can't keep up with demand and cost pressures.
    Yep. That is the problem with government run healthcare systems. Once they work out the reality that going to a government system does not lower the cost of actually providing healthcare, they can only attempt to control the costs by rationing the healthcare they do provide or offering less and less of it as time goes on. It's the same with Social Security and Medicare in the USA. As the programs become less solvent, they start adding things such as means tests, more taxes, extending the age before eligibility, as well as cutting the amount of re-imbursement to doctors who treat medicare patients. Hopefully our good friends to the north will successfully wean themselves completely off of single payer at some point.

  10. #230
    Sage

    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,901

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    and as i said, the ACA is not the solution i support. however, i still have yet to see a poster in a single payer country who would trade systems with us. and if there is one, let the stories begin, because i bet you that i can talk him or her out of it pretty quickly. episode one will be the case of the two thousand dollar cut thumb. episode two will be the COBRA mistake colonoscopy saga. that one had a happier ending, and only cost me eight hundred bucks.
    Well...I think we both agree that healthcare in the USA at this point in time is prohibitively expensive. We may never agree on how to resolve it. Reform is needed, however that reform must actually address the cost of actually providing healthcare. No government mandates are going to accomplish that. All government mandates do is shift the costs around and cause more administrative costs.....for instance the 10,000 new IRS agents to enforce obamacare. Workable reform must make providing healthcare cost competitive. That is how the free market is supposed to work. It's why you can go to a department store and purchase a decent 40 inch high definition television set for $400.00 or less rather then $1200.00 or more.

Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •