Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 490

Thread: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

  1. #181
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,202

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I think in this case it would be "thanks Congress". But presumably, from your chuckle, you believe there's no issue related to the ACA and businesses expanding and hiring during the uncertainty, nor any other chill related to the EPA, labour, and other issues directly affecting businesses. We'll see.
    The ACA is already in full force, and our economy didn't collapse, if anything it seemed to have picked up a little steam as we approached full implimentation.

    My best guess is that companies are hanging on to this money because they don't have anything better to do with it, they are already meeting demand, investors aren't clamoring for higher dividends, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  2. #182
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,771

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    The ACA is already in full force, and our economy didn't collapse, if anything it seemed to have picked up a little steam as we approached full implimentation.

    My best guess is that companies are hanging on to this money because they don't have anything better to do with it, they are already meeting demand, investors aren't clamoring for higher dividends, etc.
    The employer mandate is fully enforced at this moment? I know it was delayed until after the 2014 election, but did it actually kick in?
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  3. #183
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,202

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Because that's a short term action that provides minimal benefit to the companies. Holding onto the money so that if the ACA rains on their parade they can cover the cost, can mean the difference between staying in business and closing the doors. I guess that you'd rather their employees have a small raise today and risk having no job next year....

    I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that most of the companies that are holding tons of money already offered insurance before the ACA, so they don't really have a need to hold money due to concerns about the ACA.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #184
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,202

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The employer mandate is fully enforced at this moment? I know it was delayed until after the 2014 election, but did it actually kick in?
    I am under the impression that it started Jan 1st of this year, but I may be wrong.

    Why, were you expecting the economy to crash?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  5. #185
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,771

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    But then people from most nations that have single payer do not know any better. They were born and raised on a nanny state healthcare system. And again, I not disagreeing that healthcare is prohibitively expensive. That is the point. If we go to a single payer system, healthcare will still be prohibitively expensive. The only difference is that the government will attempt to control the costs by rationing healthcare as well as how much they re-imburse doctors and hospitals. The result will be a much less profitable healthcare industry. That will in the long run result in less people getting into the medical system and less hospitals. Obamacare is already devastating small rural hospitals and clinics.
    Here in Ontario, Canada, almost 50% of every government revenue dollar is spent on healthcare services of some kind. However, even with that large outlay, the single payer system funds only about 40% of all pharmaceuticals, primarily for the very poor and through hospital care - the other 60% is paid for by the patient. As well, each year, more and more services are delisted from the program and become patient paid. Our single payer system doesn't cover dentistry, optometry, chiropractic, orthopedics, etc. This is why most working people have supplementary health insurance plans with their employer and many self employed and retired people purchase additional coverage themselves at significant individual cost.

    But as you say, we here in Canada have known nothing else - the system has been in place for over half a century and very few Canadians would ever agree to give it up. But we are moving more and more towards a private supply system because the public system can't keep up with demand and cost pressures.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  6. #186
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,771

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I am under the impression that it started Jan 1st of this year, but I may be wrong.

    Why, were you expecting the economy to crash?
    No, not at all - it's just that many companies may be holding off on investments in equipment and employment not knowing what the actual costs associated with such expansion may be. In addition, some smaller companies would hold off hiring and expanding if it would push them above the 50 full time level that triggers the mandate.

    But let's not kid ourselves - the economy both in the US and worldwide is pretty fragile right now, growth is relative anemic, reflected in the deflated price of oil. No one should feel too confident right now, and that leads to caution.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    All about that trickle down economics, am I right?

  8. #188
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,202

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    No, not at all - it's just that many companies may be holding off on investments in equipment and employment not knowing what the actual costs associated with such expansion may be. In addition, some smaller companies would hold off hiring and expanding if it would push them above the 50 full time level that triggers the mandate.

    But let's not kid ourselves - the economy both in the US and worldwide is pretty fragile right now, growth is relative anemic, reflected in the deflated price of oil. No one should feel too confident right now, and that leads to caution.
    I can't imagine why a huge company couldn't estimate the cost of expansion. It's not like they don't already know how much labor is going to cost them or how much insurance cost.

    My best guess is that companies are already satisfying demand, they they don't have a need to expand. Last time I checked, Walmart didn't have bare shelves, neither do our local car dealers or anyone else. I suspect we are going to be stuck were we are economically for a long long time because I'm not hearing anyone suggesting doing anything at all to increase demand. Maybe after we change presidents.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #189
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 11:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    58,111

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    1) one time bonuses for employees
    2) cut prices and see if sales increase and even more profits are made
    3) give out raises
    4) provide more benefits to employees
    5) provide an actual and HONEST cost of living increase to employees
    Considering that you added costs a few times here I'm curious if you calculated everything out or if you're just making a wish list.

  10. #190
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,202

    Re: U.S. companies hoard record amount of cash

    The employer mandate went into effect for all companies with 100 or more employees, companies with 50-100 employees will be effected next year.

    According to sources on Fox News, 98% of employers with 50 employees or more already provide insurance, so even though I'm not an Obamacare supporter, I don't think it's gonna make any measurable difference in our economy - not even next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •