Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 644

Thread: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother[W:52]

  1. #621
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 07:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother[W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    SO... then its proof positive that gun control does not work...
    My country is proof positive that it does and that is reflected to varying degrees by every other developed country in the world. I don't regard either Mexico or Brazil as fitting into the 'developed' category

    List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Heck.. if you look at Great Britain and overall violent crime.. they are statistically worse than we are. Despite draconian gun laws.
    Given theres no way to compare that given different national methodologies for collation and interpretation of such statistics your point cannot be validated. However ....

    Crime at lowest level for 30 years | UK news | The Guardian

    And our gun laws have obviously helped in achieving this

  2. #622
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,622

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother[W:52]

    My country is proof positive that it does and that is reflected to varying degrees by every other developed country in the world. I don't regard either Mexico or Brazil as fitting into the 'developed' category
    Actually your country IS NOT proof positive that it works... Actually Mexico and Brazil would be proof positive it works. Because if gun control was effective.. it would work regardless of whether a country was developed or not "developed"..

    That's based on scientific objectivity.

    Given theres no way to compare that given different national methodologies for collation and interpretation of such statistics your point cannot be validated. However ....
    Actually sure there is... Its just that gun control advocates don't like the results.. thus they love "gun crime" but not violent crime.

    The reality is that your gun laws have had nothing to do with lowering crime.

    Here is the states it obvious...

    According to DOJ’s Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. gun-related homicides dropped 39 percent over the course of 18 years, from 18,253 during 1993, to 11,101 in 2011. During the same period, non-fatal firearm crimes decreased even more, a whopping 69 percent. The majority of those declines in both categories occurred during the first 10 years of that time frame. Firearm homicides declined from 1993 to 1999, rose through 2006, and then declined again through 2011. Non-fatal firearm violence declined from 1993 through 2004, then fluctuated in the mid-to-late 2000s.

    And where did the bad people who did the shooting get most of their guns? Were those gun show “loopholes” responsible? Nope. According to surveys DOJ conducted of state prison inmates during 2004 (the most recent year of data available), only two percent who owned a gun at the time of their offense bought it at either a gun show or flea market. About 10 percent said they purchased their gun from a retail shop or pawnshop, 37 percent obtained it from family or friends, and another 40 percent obtained it from an illegal source.
    The March Pew study, drawn from numbers obtained from the Bureau of Justice Statistics and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, also found a dramatic drop in gun crime over the past two decades. Their accounting shows a 49 percent decline in the homicide rate, and a 75 percent decline of non-fatal violent crime victimization. More than 8 in 10 gun homicide victims in 2010 were men and boys. Fifty-five percent of the homicide victims were black, far beyond their 13 percent share of the population.

    Pew researchers observed that the huge amount of attention devoted to gun violence incidents in the media has caused most Americans to be unaware that gun crime is “strikingly down” from 20 years ago. In fact, gun-related homicides in the late 2000s were “equal to those not seen since the early 1960s.” Yet their survey found that 56 percent believed gun-related crime is higher, 26 percent believed it stayed about the same, and 6 percent didn’t know. Only 12 percent of those polled thought it was lower.

    So our crime rates.. and gun crime rates dropped... as the number of guns has increased.

    PRINCETON, NJ -- Forty-seven percent of American adults currently report that they have a gun in their home or elsewhere on their property. This is up from 41% a year ago and is the highest Gallup has recorded since 1993, albeit marginally above the 44% and 45% highs seen during that period.
    Crime down.. reported gun ownership up.

    Kind of blows your theory out of the water...

    the reality is that your country has curtailed your personal rights for absolutely no good reason.

  3. #623
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 07:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother[W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Actually your country IS NOT proof positive that it works... Actually Mexico and Brazil would be proof positive it works. Because if gun control was effective.. it would work regardless of whether a country was developed or not "developed"..

    That's based on scientific objectivity.

    Actually sure there is... Its just that gun control advocates don't like the results.. thus they love "gun crime" but not violent crime.

    The reality is that your gun laws have had nothing to do with lowering crime.

    Here is the states it obvious...

    So our crime rates.. and gun crime rates dropped... as the number of guns has increased.

    Crime down.. reported gun ownership up.

    Kind of blows your theory out of the water...

    the reality is that your country has curtailed your personal rights for absolutely no good reason.
    You've been given the facts and figures so theres not a lot more I can add.

    You are today some 40 times more likely to be shot in the US than in Europe due to lack of proper gun control

    I can't make you see something you clearly don't want to see

  4. #624
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    10-03-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    10,734

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother[W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    You've been given the facts and figures so theres not a lot more I can add.

    You are today some 40 times more likely to be shot in the US than in Europe due to lack of proper gun control

    I can't make you see something you clearly don't want to see
    You are more likely to be robbed, raped, or beaten in Europe..

  5. #625
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    10-03-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    10,734

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Ever think certain parts of your 18th century constitution might be out of date and require revision in order to be relevant to the 21st ? The guys that drafted it were slave owners after all
    Ever think principals and values are timeless, like self defense?

    Really? The greatest slave owner that has ever lived is and will always be King George..

  6. #626
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    10-03-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    10,734

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Your rabidly extremist mindset is the best possible advertisment I could ever have for my position and why nobody like you should be allowed near a gun.

    Thanks for providing such an illuminating example
    How about you fly to America and try and take it from him? I mean if you are so brave you have no problem doing it.

  7. #627
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    10-03-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    10,734

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    I find the display such 'armed' political extremism in what is supposed to be the worlds leading democracy disturbing. If he was alone in his beliefs he could be dismissed as just another lone crackpot, but given the evidence on such threads as this he is far from being so. I think its something your society needs to address given the arsenals such people want to have and how easily they dismiss the consequences for society of so many others wanting to have them too. I suspect there are many Sandy Hooks lie ahead for the US and the incomprehensible tragedy is that nobody cares and nothing will change when they do :(
    We are not a democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic.

    Bad things will happen, those does mean we are all punished for it nor are our rights any less valuable.

  8. #628
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 07:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother[W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanSpartan View Post
    You are more likely to be robbed, raped, or beaten in Europe..
    Maybe maybe not theres no way to directly compare the stats given the different methodologies used by the various nations in collating such data

    What is comparable though is that in the US you are 5 times more likely to be murdered than in Europe and three quarters of your murders involve the use of a firearm

  9. #629
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    10-03-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    10,734

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother[W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Maybe maybe not theres no way to directly compare the stats given the different methodologies used by the various nations in collating such data

    What is comparable though is that in the US you are 5 times more likely to be murdered than in Europe and three quarters of your murders involve the use of a firearm
    Oh what a cheap cop out....Troll on Subject of the Crown.

  10. #630
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 07:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother[W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanSpartan View Post
    Oh what a cheap cop out....Troll on Subject of the Crown.
    Am I wrong ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •