Page 36 of 65 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 644

Thread: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother[W:52]

  1. #351
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,735

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    All weapons are inanimate objects. Its the inherent lethality of them when combined with people thats the problem.
    sorry I never saw a gun just get up off a table and shoot someone. guns have no intentions. it is people that have intentions.
    however that doesn't make the gun maker responsible for what someone else does.

    just as a car maker isn't responsible for what someone else does.

  2. #352
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    sorry I never saw a gun just get up off a table and shoot someone. guns have no intentions. it is people that have intentions.
    however that doesn't make the gun maker responsible for what someone else does.

    just as a car maker isn't responsible for what someone else does.

    I keep my guns locked up so they won't sneak out at night at massacre the horses or shoot up the local raccoon saloon.



  3. #353
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,735

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    For a guy who loves to throw around the term LOGIC - you make the very illogical error of pretending that cars which were invented for the purpose of transportation and firearms which were invented for the purpose of shooting others are the same thing.
    nope it doesn't matter why something was invented.
    the fact is the core belief of your argument is that the maker of an item is responsible for what other people do.

    the fact is they aren't. why? because the maker of an item has no control over other people.
    a car maker can't control the guy getting drunk.

    the gun maker can't control a person that decides to go on a rampage.

    yea it is called logic. you are using appeals to emotion and false narratives of intent. guns don't have intentions they are inanimate objects.

  4. #354
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,040

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    nope it doesn't matter why something was invented.
    In the real world - the purpose of something matters a great deal.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #355
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    In the real world - the purpose of something matters a great deal.
    Coca Cola was developed as a medicine. And we all know everyone's encouraged to drink Coca Cola for medicinal purposes today.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #356
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    sorry I never saw a gun just get up off a table and shoot someone. guns have no intentions. it is people that have intentions.
    however that doesn't make the gun maker responsible for what someone else does.

    just as a car maker isn't responsible for what someone else does.
    Just how dim are gun owners Stateside that they continually need the difference between cars and guns explained to them ? With such manifest inability to understand simple concepts its difficult to believe they have the mental capacity to responsibly own firearms without endangering both themselves and those around them !
    Last edited by flogger; 03-19-15 at 04:57 PM.

  7. #357
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,313

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    None of what you said negates the reality that firearms were made as a weapon to kill. When a person uses a firearm to shoot another person or creature, they are using it for its created purpose.

    That is simply reality no matter how many people shoot at targets.
    Crossbows were made to expel a bolt at high speed and good distance. How the crossbow is used by a human is another matter.

    Firearms were made to expel a bullet at high speed and good distance. How the firearm is used by a human is another matter.

  8. #358
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,040

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Crossbows were made to expel a bolt at high speed and good distance. How the crossbow is used by a human is another matter.

    Firearms were made to expel a bullet at high speed and good distance. How the firearm is used by a human is another matter.
    And that bullet was then suppose to do what exactly?

    Why would someone go through all that trouble just to fire a bullet out of a barrel?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #359
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,040

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Coca Cola was developed as a medicine. And we all know everyone's encouraged to drink Coca Cola for medicinal purposes today.
    Sadly that was not the case with firearms.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #360
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,883

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    For a guy who loves to throw around the term LOGIC - you make the very illogical error of pretending that cars which were invented for the purpose of transportation and firearms which were invented for the purpose of shooting others are the same thing.
    So, you you are now the self-proclaimed expert on illogical and pretending identification?
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

Page 36 of 65 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •