Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 644

Thread: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother[W:52]

  1. #271
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 07:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Its not JUST LIKE anything to do with cars so knock it off already. The gun was invented as a weapon of death. The car was invented as a mode of transportation. Stop already with the false comparisons.
    All developed nations have auto accident casualties. No one has yet explained why having the large number of additional gun casualties in the US (most of them intentional) yet which are almost absent in other such countries is a good thing

  2. #272
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,691

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Its not JUST LIKE anything to do with cars so knock it off already. The gun was invented as a weapon of death. The car was invented as a mode of transportation. Stop already with the false comparisons.
    it doesn't matter why it was invented the fact is you want to hold the maker of something responsible for what someone else does with their gun.
    from what I understand all his mom did with the gun was target practice with it.

    this is why your argument fails to pass any and all logic.

    it isn't a false comparison. according TO YOUR own logic the maker of an item is to be held responsible for the individual that uses that item regardless.
    you keep bringing why something was invented which is irrelevant to the actual argument.

    you don't like the comparison because it blows your argument out of the water. if you want to talk about intentions.
    a gun has no intentions. it is an inanimate object.

    the intent of what the gun is used from comes from the person holding it.
    so is the maker of the gun holding the gun to determine intent?
    the answer is no.

    the gun maker has no responsibility what happens when someone else use's the gun. just as chevy has no responsibility when a drunk driver kills people in a accident.
    it is the person holding the gun and driving the car that are responsible for their own actions.

  3. #273
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,691

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    All developed nations have auto accident casualties. No one has yet explained why having the large number of additional gun casualties in the US (most of them intentional) yet which are almost absent in other such countries is a good thing
    so we should be sueing automakers right. I mean they are the cause of all these accidents most fatal. if they didn't produce so many cars and everyone took busses then accidents would go down. so lets start sueing car makers. those evil jerks.

    because most gun related incidents are accidents? people in general being stupid with firearms.

  4. #274
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,905

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    it doesn't matter why it was invented
    NO. It matters and it matters completely. When a firearm is used to kill - it being used exactly for the purpose it was created in the first place. And the maker knows that and was aware of it and makes the product just the same.

    So please spare me the excuses and the really atrocious comparison to people driving cars. Cars were invented to transport people. They were NOT invented as weapons of death.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #275
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 07:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    so we should be sueing automakers right. I mean they are the cause of all these accidents most fatal. if they didn't produce so many cars and everyone took busses then accidents would go down. so lets start sueing car makers. those evil jerks.

    because most gun related incidents are accidents? people in general being stupid with firearms.
    You didn't answer my question. Auto deaths are almost entirely accidental (and hence unavoidable) and are something the US shares with other developed countries unlike its horrendous firearm stats. There is a big difference between accident and intent here

  6. #276
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    All developed nations have auto accident casualties. No one has yet explained why having the large number of additional gun casualties in the US (most of them intentional) yet which are almost absent in other such countries is a good thing
    no one has explained why banning handguns for honest people would do anything useful in the USA other than make gun haters in other nations feel better



  7. #277
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    NO. It matters and it matters completely. When a firearm is used to kill - it being used exactly for the purpose it was created in the first place. And the maker knows that and was aware of it and makes the product just the same.

    So please spare me the excuses and the really atrocious comparison to people driving cars. Cars were invented to transport people. They were NOT invented as weapons of death.
    that really is silly given you don't allow for legal vs illegal shooting. its like lumping consensual sex in with rape

    and an ITEM that is not INTENDED as a weapon that kills far more people than actual weapons ought to make you pause and think about that silly analogy



  8. #278
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 07:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,276

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    no one has explained why banning handguns for honest people would do anything useful in the USA other than make gun haters in other nations feel better
    Well by all accounts it would dramatically reduce your homicide rate just for starters. But it seems US firearms fetishism has nothing to do with protecting people and everything to do with protecting guns

  9. #279
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Well by all accounts it would dramatically reduce your homicide rate just for starters. But it seems US firearms fetishism has nothing to do with protecting people and everything to do with protecting guns
    I agree.

    Whether owning guns is good or not is debatable.

    But it seems clear to me that most gun owners seem more concerned about protecting guns then protecting people. And many of them come across as flat out obsessed with gun ownership.

    Me? I think 2 loaded stun guns will protect my home just about as well and FAR safer from accidents then one regular gun.

    And the argument that Americans need guns to protect themselves from the government is total nonsense. The government can drop a JDAM bomb on your head from a B-2 bomber (or MANY other aircraft) flying at 30,000 feet...you would not even hear anything until just before the bomb destroys your house.
    This is not 1776...you cannot protect yourself from the government any longer. If they know roughly where you are and want you dead badly enough...you are dead no matter how many guns you have.

  10. #280
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,905

    Re: Sandy Hook families sue estate of shooter's mother

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that really is silly given you don't allow for legal vs illegal shooting. its like lumping consensual sex in with rape

    and an ITEM that is not INTENDED as a weapon that kills far more people than actual weapons ought to make you pause and think about that silly analogy
    That makes no sense at all in any way shape or form as automobiles are used far far far more than guns are in terms of daily and hourly use not to mention by a whole lot more people each day than every come near a gun.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •