Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 321

Thread: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

  1. #301
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 02:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    I keep coming back to:

    Ted Cruz is a citizen because he was born to a US Citizen (who did live in the US after age 14 for more than the required number of years). Nothing special had to be done to grant him citizenship. Therefore he is a natural born citizen.


    Now I'm not a lawyer, and I didn't discuss this with the founders, and it may come to a Supreme Court case. But that's what makes sense to me.


    (And ps - Obama born with "foreign allegiances"? What, to Kansas? Sorry, Excon, that doesn't fly)

  2. #302
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,776

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    The constitution does not define natural born citizen by itself.
    Thanks for stating the obvious which everybody has already recognized.


    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Therefore plain meaning applies.
    iLOL
    The plain meaning is that with which the Founders were familiar with at the time.


    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Since Cruz was granted US citizenship due to federal law he is eligible.
    You are speaking of a law that grants citizenship. That is not being naturally born. D'oh!
    That is being a citizen by statute.

    The Court already recognized two classes of citizens that may fall into the natural born citizen status. Both require the element of soil.
    Of the two the Court said there was no doubt one class was natural born (On soil to Citizen parents). Of the second class of citizens there is doubts (Only born on soil).

    If one considers the second class of citizen to be natural born, Cruz is then a natural born citizen of Canada.





    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    I keep coming back to:

    Ted Cruz is a citizen because he was born to a US Citizen (who did live in the US after age 14 for more than the required number of years). Nothing special had to be done to grant him citizenship. Therefore he is a natural born citizen.
    You keep coming back to what is wrong.
    That is a citizen by statute, not by the Constitution. Do you really not know the difference? He doesn't even qualify under the 14th as just a plain citizen. iLOL


    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    (And ps - Obama born with "foreign allegiances"? What, to Kansas? Sorry, Excon, that doesn't fly)
    Wrong paddymcdougall. As you were previously told you do not have the knowledge to be debating this topic and is why your argument again fails.
    It is the very same argument you make in regards to Cruz.
    By the US law, Cruz was born of an American woman and therefore had US citizenship.
    Just as by Kenyan/British law Obama was born of a Kenyan Father and had Kenyan and British citizenship.

    Obama as well as Cruz were born with foreign allegiances. Which is clearly what the letter to Washington by John Jay specifically addressed.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  3. #303
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 02:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Whatever, excon. your logic isn't logical. You're making it up as you go along to get the results you want. But that's fine. We'll let the supreme court figure it out.

  4. #304
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-21-16 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,953

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    The law is clear: one has to be born within US territory to be eligible for POTUS. Anyway I doubt Cruz would win if he ran so its a moot point.
    That's not the law. Period. When an American citizen is born in a foreign country, it is called, "Birth of an American Abroad." The only requirement is that one of the parents be an American citizen. Period.

    The American Embassy or nearest Consulate is authorized to issue a birth certificate stating exactly that . . . . "Birth of an American Abroad." My daughter was born in Okinawa. She had 2-kids when she was stationed in England . . . born in a UK Hospital. I assure you they all could run for president. It was nonsense with Obama and it is nonsense with this clown.

  5. #305
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,776

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Whatever, excon. your logic isn't logical. You're making it up as you go along to get the results you want.

    Wrong paddymcdougall. Your argument wasn't logical as shown. Just as it was you making things up to come to conclusions you want. Not I.


    You continually show you do not know the subject material enough to even debate it.





    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    That's not the law. Period. When an American citizen is born in a foreign country, it is called, "Birth of an American Abroad." The only requirement is that one of the parents be an American citizen. Period.

    The American Embassy or nearest Consulate is authorized to issue a birth certificate stating exactly that . . . . "Birth of an American Abroad." My daughter was born in Okinawa. She had 2-kids when she was stationed in England . . . born in a UK Hospital. I assure you they all could run for president. It was nonsense with Obama and it is nonsense with this clown.
    You assure? That is nonsense.

    They are citizens created by statute. Not by birth on soil.

    The meaning of the natural born citizen requirement of the Constitution is not dependent on some some later created law. It is dependent on what the Framers meant by it at the time of it's inclusion.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  6. #306
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Are they the same lawyers that said torture was legal?

  7. #307
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-21-16 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,953

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    Wrong paddymcdougall. Your argument wasn't logical as shown. Just as it was you making things up to come to conclusions you want. Not I.


    You continually show you do not know the subject material enough to even debate it.






    You assure? That is nonsense.

    They are citizens created by statute. Not by birth on soil.

    The meaning of the natural born citizen requirement of the Constitution is not dependent on some some later created law. It is dependent on what the Framers meant by it at the time of it's inclusion
    .
    I don't care. And yes, I assure you. Otherwise . . . no dependent of military personnel would ever be eligible to run for president if born in a foreign country. I don't care if the framers said monkeys have to jump out of your arse to become a citizen . . . you don't have to today. Living document and all that crap, if you know what I mean.

  8. #308
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,776

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    I don't care.
    Yes, that can be seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    And yes, I assure you.
    You assure nothing.


    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    Otherwise . . . no dependent of military personnel would ever be eligible to run for president if born in a foreign country.
    Obviously, unless born in our embassy which is our soil.
    The Constitution makes a distinction for a reason and the Constitution is not beholden to any law.
    McCain's citizenship was obtained by passage of a law after his birth, not by the nature of his birth.
    What matters, as already acknowledged by the Court, is what the Framers meant by it.


    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    I don't care if the framers said monkeys have to jump out of your arse to become a citizen . . . you don't have to today. Living document and all that crap, if you know what I mean.
    Wrong.
    What the Framers meant by it is all that matters at this point. Nor can it have the same meaning as the 14th as no Clause can be left without effect.

    A child born overseas, unless on our soil, is just a Citizen by statute.
    If the Country they were born in considers them a citizen of that country, they were born with foreign allegiances.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  9. #309
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-21-16 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,953

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Yes, that can be seen.

    You assure nothing.


    Obviously, unless born in our embassy which is our soil.
    The Constitution makes a distinction for a reason and the Constitution is not beholden to any law.
    McCain's citizenship was obtained by passage of a law after his birth, not by the nature of his birth.
    What matters, as already acknowledged by the Court, is what the Framers meant by it.


    Wrong.
    What the Framers meant by it is all that matters at this point. Nor can it have the same meaning as the 14th as no Clause can be left without effect.

    A child born overseas, unless on our soil, is just a Citizen by statute.
    If the Country they were born in considers them a citizen of that country, they were born with foreign allegiances.
    Oh My. Now I remember why I don't respond to you. The fact you have just argued that military dependents overseas are not eligible to be president indicates an obtuse nature I just cannot deal with. Have a nice day enjoying the fact you are as wrong as wrong can be. At the risk of getting points . . . you are a douche bag.

  10. #310
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    Oh My. Now I remember why I don't respond to you. The fact you have just argued that military dependents overseas are not eligible to be president indicates an obtuse nature I just cannot deal with. Have a nice day enjoying the fact you are as wrong as wrong can be. At the risk of getting points . . . you are a douche bag.
    A child born to a US military member serving overseas should be awarded all rights and benefits that of a child born in one of the states. PERIOD. Not even up for debate for crying out loud.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •