Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 321

Thread: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

  1. #181
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,855

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It simply isn't right to consider that reasoning behind the rule applies to babies born outside of the country but still considered citizens at birth.
    Yes it is.

    Like I said. If you do not like it, amend the Constitution.


    Mexican citizens are giving birth in this country. By our laws, should their children be Mexican citizens?

    Regardless, it is right and fair and is why we have had Naturalization and Immigration Acts to cover such situations.
    Last edited by Excon; 03-16-15 at 12:04 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  2. #182
    Guru
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,870

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Just talking democrats and republicans in general. Tea Party has been called more names than anyone, but they tend to be the ones that express themselves the best. You could say that his mouth will keep him out, but it just might get him in, or at least in the race. Worked for Reagan. And we are talking landslides for Reagan.
    Cruz hasn't got a chance. He'll make noise, but he won't even get the Republican nomination. He's way too far right on issues, especially social issues.

    And as been pointed out many times Reagan was moderate, maybe even a little to the left on most social issues. He wasn't seen as a fanatic. His terms as gov. of Cali and president proves he was actually very moderate.

    Don't compare Cruz to Reagan, or today's GOP to the GOP of the 80's. It's apples and oranges.
    "The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize."~F.D.R.
    "Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other."~Mark Twain

  3. #183
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,157
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Just talking democrats and republicans in general. Tea Party has been called more names than anyone, but they tend to be the ones that express themselves the best. You could say that his mouth will keep him out, but it just might get him in, or at least in the race. Worked for Reagan. And we are talking landslides for Reagan.


    As a matter of fact I voted for Reagan back in 1980. Cruz doesn't even come close to having the charisma that Reagan had.

    The more that I see and hear Cruz, the less I like him and he started out pretty low with me.

  4. #184
    Guru
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,870

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    As a matter of fact I voted for Reagan back in 1980. Cruz doesn't even come close to having the charisma that Reagan had.

    The more that I see and hear Cruz, the less I like him and he started out pretty low with me.
    Being a conservative in 1980 is nothing like the conservatives of today. Reagan was seen as conservative, but not a fanatic who would tear everything down just to save it. That's how most TP politicians are seen as nowadays. As fanatics, as people who would burn down a town to save it, as people who are seen who have to be 100% ideologically pure, so they refuse to compromise with anyone who isn't. And that scares voters.

    Reagan was never seen as that, he was actually very good at compromising. And moderate on many issues. And the voters knew that. Many Dems liked Reagan. I know of no moderate Republican or Dem who likes Cruz, let alone vote for him.
    "The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize."~F.D.R.
    "Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other."~Mark Twain

  5. #185
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Yes it is.

    Like I said. If you do not like it, amend the Constitution.


    Mexican citizens are giving birth in this country. By our laws, should their children be Mexican citizens?

    Regardless, it is right and fair and is why we have had Naturalization and Immigration Acts to cover such situations.
    Honestly, I absolutely think they should be Mexican citizens, not American citizens if their parents are Mexican, especially if both parents are. But in accordance with our laws, they are US citizens, but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be other ways for people to be "natural born US citizens".
    Last edited by roguenuke; 03-16-15 at 12:20 PM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #186
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,855

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Honestly, I absolutely think they should be Mexican citizens, not American citizens if their parents are Mexican, especially if both parents are.
    Well that is something.

    Now if they had a natural born Citizen clause like ours, they wouldn't be eligible to be el Presidente because they were not born on Mexican soil.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  7. #187
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    The one thing birthers hate more than being called racist... is black people.

  8. #188
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    73,358

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    This is good news on the legal front. I would be very very happy to see the GOP nominate ted Cruz for President in 2016.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #189
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Well that is something.

    Now if they had a natural born Citizen clause like ours, they wouldn't be eligible to be el Presidente because they were not born on Mexican soil.
    No, ours should simply include those citizens of ours born outside of the US but with at least one parent who is a US citizen.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #190
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,855

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, ours should simply include those citizens of ours born outside of the US but with at least one parent who is a US citizen.
    Unfortunately for your argument, that is not the case.

    Why you you do not want to abide by the Constitution is beyond me.
    Do you just not follow any law you do not like?

    Again. If you do not like it, try to have the Constitution amended.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •