Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 321

Thread: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

  1. #171
    Educator
    keymanjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    07-03-16 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    I'm not going to read through this entire thread.
    It comes down to this. Was he born to two US citizen parents in a country that does not recognize birthright citizenship within their borders, OR that his parents were in that country performing a service in the name of the US government?
    If any of these factors are missing then by the intent of the writers of the 14th Amendment, he wouldn't be considered a US citizen, much less a natural born one.
    11 Liberal Rules for Racism in America
    それは残念だよね?
    Obama is a clown in blackface. Oops! I misspoke. My bad.

  2. #172
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,883

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    Panama Canal Zone.

    Which was U.S. territory at that time.
    As previously provided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    He was not born a Citizen let alone a natural born Citizen.
    A law (8 U.S.C. § 1403) was later passed granting those born there Citizenship. You know why?
    Because they weren't born Citizens.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  3. #173
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,158
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Well, I think that has been the republican's problem, afraid to express their values and articulate their position. Oh, don't say anything bad about Obama's policies, they'll call you a racist.

    Meanwhile. the democrats call them terrorists, bigots, racist, etc... and that's okay. I'm not saying to go down that road, just don't be afraid to express your values and positions.


    If you'll take a second look at my comment you'll see that I didn't call Cruz anything.

    I just said that his mouth will keep him out of the White House because I believe that's what's going to happen.

    Lets wait and see what happens in 2016.

  4. #174
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Are you really not reading this thread?
    As already pointed out, she got it wrong.

    Again, I told which posts to read to find my position. Avail yourself of the information.


    No it is not a stupid reason.
    Why should it be? That is what the Constitution says.
    If you do not like that, get it amended, until such time comes, it stands.
    Natural born citizen was never clearly defined in the Constitution though. There is definite question on what that would be in this day and age, when there are no longer real social consequences for having a child out of wedlock nor is it at all rare for people to be stationed overseas for the military or just simply have their child overseas just due to an issue out of their control. Those things really weren't likely in the past, especially when it came to woman, who wasn't likely to be traveling between the countries often, if at all.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #175
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,386

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Since the left does not follow our constitution the right should so if Teddy was not born here he cannot run.
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  6. #176
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,883

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Natural born citizen was never clearly defined in the Constitution though. There is definite question on what that would be in this day and age, when there are no longer real social consequences for having a child out of wedlock nor is it at all rare for people to be stationed overseas for the military or just simply have their child overseas just due to an issue out of their control. Those things really weren't likely in the past, especially when it came to woman, who wasn't likely to be traveling between the countries often, if at all.
    Your argument matters not to what the requirement is.
    It didn't need to be defined. The founders knew what it meant.
    And while the Supreme Court has never addressed this issue they know where to ascertain the meaning of natural born Citizen, which is in the language which our founders were familiar with. ie: The information previously provided regarding Vattel's The Laws of Nations, and with John Jay's letter to Washington.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  7. #177
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Your argument matters not to what the requirement is.
    And while the Supreme Court has never addressed this issue they know where to ascertain the meaning of natural born Citizen, which is in the language which our founders were familiar with. ie: The information previously provided regarding Vattel's The Laws of Nations, and with John Jay's letter to Washington.
    I highly doubt the SCOTUS would see it that way if it became an issue. Especially if the person was a son or daughter of a military service member born overseas. It simply would not be fair. The simple fact is that part of the Constitution was meant to limit the ability of an adult to come over as a citizen of another country and become our President after only being a citizen for a few years or having been raised as a citizen of another country.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 03-16-15 at 11:51 AM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,136

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    If you'll take a second look at my comment you'll see that I didn't call Cruz anything.

    I just said that his mouth will keep him out of the White House because I believe that's what's going to happen.

    Lets wait and see what happens in 2016.
    Just talking democrats and republicans in general. Tea Party has been called more names than anyone, but they tend to be the ones that express themselves the best. You could say that his mouth will keep him out, but it just might get him in, or at least in the race. Worked for Reagan. And we are talking landslides for Reagan.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  9. #179
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,883

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I highly doubt the SCOTUS would see it that way if it became an issue. Especially if the person was a son or daughter of a military service member born overseas. It simply would not be fair.
    Fair doesn't matter to the the letter of the Constitution.
    (sarcasm) For ****'s sake. Why not just let anyone who was born anywhere become the President. It is unfair to them if we do not. (end sarcasm)
    A fairness argument is absurd as it is ridiculous.


    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The simple fact is that part of the Constitution was meant to limit the ability of an adult to come over as a citizen of another country and become our President after only being a citizen for a few years or having been raised as a citizen of another country.
    It was meant to keep those who were not born of citizen parents, not on US soil, and those with a foreign allegiance from becoming the President.
    Last edited by Excon; 03-16-15 at 11:55 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle

  10. #180
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Fair doesn't matter to the the letter of the Constitution.
    (sarcasm) For ****'s sake. Why not just let anyone who was born anywhere become the President. It is unfair to them if we do not. (end sarcasm)
    A fairness argument is absurd as it is ridiculous.
    It simply isn't right to consider that reasoning behind the rule applies to babies born outside of the country but still considered citizens at birth.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •