Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 321

Thread: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

  1. #141
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 02:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    That's as confusing as anything. Are those three men eligible to be president or not, just give me a yes, or a no! Please.
    Best I can tell, Excon thinks Cruz and McCain aren't natural-born citizens, therefore are not eligible, while Pres. Obama is natural-born, so is.

    He cares about what piece of dirt was under the hospital, not who their parents were.

  2. #142
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,125

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    [QUOTE=shrubnose;1064426880]
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    If Ted Cruz has no shot of winning, then this country is in worse shape than I thought.[/QUOTE]



    Cruz has zero chance of being elected president of the USA. Wait and see.
    And why is that? What is your information on it? Obama had about the same shot, and he even got reelected after proving that he was incompetent. At least Cruz has a brain.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  3. #143
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Nobody cared about where Barack Obama was born until the Hillary Clinton supporters said he wasn't born in this country.

    The issue of where Ted Cruz was born was only ever important to the people who oppose the idea of Ted Cruz being elected President.
    False. Nobody knew. Anyway, if it's constitutionally legal for Cruz to be president of the United States, then I don't understand why we're talking about this. If it's not constitutionally legal for Cruz to be president, then why are we talking about this?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #144
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Best I can tell, Excon thinks Cruz and McCain aren't natural-born citizens, therefore are not eligible, while Pres. Obama is natural-born, so is.

    He cares about what piece of dirt was under the hospital, not who their parents were.
    Thank you.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #145
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    That isn't what the Constitution says. The Constitution requires one be a Naturally born citizen.
    That phase has a specific meaning requiring birth to a citizen parent, on US soil, and not being born owing allegiance to another country.
    That meaning hasn't changed.

    Unfortunately the Supreme Court has never heard the issue so folks like Obama and possibly Cruz can get away with it.
    Why should my father not be eligible to President simply because he was born in another country because my grandfather was stationed there? That is stupid. People are a natural born citizen of this country if their parents are citizens. The only paperwork required is a little extra to show that yes they are citizens despite their birth certificate being from another country.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #146
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    False. Nobody knew. Anyway, if it's constitutionally legal for Cruz to be president of the United States, then I don't understand why we're talking about this. If it's not constitutionally legal for Cruz to be president, then why are we talking about this?
    Nobody cared that he was born in Canada. Just like no rational people cared about where Obama was born, until the Hillary people brought it up.

    We're talking about it because the man is likely going to declare his candidacy this year. We aren't talking about anyone else who wasn't born in this country because there isn't anyone else who is potentially running for POTUS who wasn't born in this country. We're talking about it for the same reason we've been talking about it for the last few years. We're talking about it now because the Bush and Obama lawyers published their opinions in the Harvard Law Review and it made the media and morphed into a thread on DP.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #147
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Nobody cared that he was born in Canada. Just like no rational people cared about where Obama was born, until the Hillary people brought it up.

    We're talking about it because the man is likely going to declare his candidacy this year. We aren't talking about anyone else who wasn't born in this country because there isn't anyone else who is potentially running for POTUS who wasn't born in this country. We're talking about it for the same reason we've been talking about it for the last few years. We're talking about it now because the Bush and Obama lawyers published their opinions in the Harvard Law Review and it made the media and morphed into a thread on DP.
    I hope you don't think that I'm defending Hillary doing that! Anyway, if it's unconstitutional for a person born physically outside of the United States to become president, then how would it be un rational to care about it? If it's legal, where's the grip. If it's not legal, where's the defence?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #148
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I hope you don't think that I'm defending Hillary doing that! Anyway, if it's unconstitutional for a person born physically outside of the United States to become president, then how would it be un rational to care about it? If it's legal, where's the grip. If it's not legal, where's the defence?
    John McCain was allowed to run for POTUS. The issue of a child of an American citizen being banned from running for POTUS was settled in 2008, if it was even a issue.

    Again, we're only talking about it now because these 2 former high ranking government attorneys voiced their opinions in the Harvard Law Review. Cruz's mother's citizenship hasn't been in question for a few years, since he provided proof that she was a citizen born in Delaware. Him being born in Canada still qualifies him as a natural born citizen. His parents weren't illegal immigrants, and he wasn't born in Canada the child of Canadian citizens.

    Nobody who made a difference cared, but this makes for good political theater anyway.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Immigrants to America have long referred to their country of origin as their home country. As those immigrants achieve citizenship here, and have children, and grandchildren here, they all become natural born citizens. It doesn't matter where Obama's father came from, Obama was a natural born citizen. Did Ted Cruz's parents immigrate to the US, was Ted Born here? If he was then he has the same right to become president as Obama did.
    And so there's nothing wrong with referring Cruz as a canadian just as there's nothing wrong with referring to Obama as a kenyan. That's where these people come from, that's their family lineage.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lawyers say Canadian-born Cruz eligible to run for president

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    He isn't Kenyan, so your point is totally off-target.
    Obama is as kenyan as black people per-se are african.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •