Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

  1. #11
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Nuclear war.

    Iran might be religious ideologues but I don't think they're irrational or suicidal.

  2. #12
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    It's a unilateral agreement that "sets up a framework for enforceability". Since the US hasn't had diplomatic relations with Iran for 35 years...they gotta start somewhere. What's the alternative besides war?
    1. We are already at war with Iran, and have been for at least a decade. More, depending on how you count.

    2. If by "war", however, you mean full conventional military seizure of sovereign space, well then, there is a full range of military and non-military options available prior to that. Simply re instituting the sanctions, for example.

  3. #13
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Iran might be religious ideologues but I don't think they're irrational or suicidal.
    1. You are right that they are not irrational - however, understand that your concept of "rationality" and theirs differ sharply because they do not share your same a priori arguments.

    1b. For example, extreme deep paranoia. The Iranians Really Truly Believe that Everyone Is Out To Get Them. Imagine US foreign policy being run by General Jack Ripper, and you get an idea of how the Iranian government sees the world every day.

    2. Iran invented modern suicide terrorism (al qaeda learned from them, not the other way 'round), and their branch of Islam in particular highlights the significance of the martyr. This plays right back into rationality. If you believe fully that going out in a blaze of glory will win you incredible rewards in heaven, then doing so makes rational sense.

  4. #14
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Iran might be religious ideologues but I don't think they're irrational or suicidal.
    You don't think the country of Iran's leaders' that have threatened to blow Israel off the map and track down Jews world wide to kill them aren't irrational?

    You don't think Iran being one of the biggest state supporters of global terrorism isn't irrational?

    That speaks volumes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  5. #15
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Yep, Obama wants to keep things "cool" with Iran (and Israel) until his term as POTUS is over. Meanwhile, Iran will continue to keep its nuclear program going, sponsor "terrorists" and expand its regional power.
    Bingo. But by the time Iran actually publicly goes nuclear, it's Not His Problem.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    1. We are already at war with Iran, and have been for at least a decade. More, depending on how you count.
    Was it a declared war by congress or just wishful thinking by neocons?

    2. If by "war", however, you mean full conventional military seizure of sovereign space, well then, there is a full range of military and non-military options available prior to that. Simply re instituting the sanctions, for example.
    From what I understand, the sanctions are still in place and they didn't prevent Iran from building/expanding it's nuclear energy program.

  7. #17
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Iran might be religious ideologues but I don't think they're irrational or suicidal.
    Are you kidding me? You don't see (even a smidgeon of) irrationality or willingness to become martyrs among "religious ideologues" aka "extreme Islamic terrorists"?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #18
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Bingo. But by the time Iran actually publicly goes nuclear, it's Not His Problem.
    What a patriot and brilliant world leader! We have been fundamentally transformed, indeed.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #19
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,472

    Re: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    You don't think the country of Iran's leaders' that have threatened to blow Israel off the map and track down Jews world wide to kill them aren't irrational?

    You don't think Iran being one of the biggest state supporters of global terrorism isn't irrational?

    That speaks volumes...
    Ignoring what I said and replacing it with a strawman speaks volumes, too.

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Kerry admits deal with Iran would not be 'legally binding'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    1. We are already at war with Iran, and have been for at least a decade. More, depending on how you count.

    2. If by "war", however, you mean full conventional military seizure of sovereign space, well then, there is a full range of military and non-military options available prior to that. Simply re instituting the sanctions, for example.
    Why give up the inspections for 10 years? So they can continue their progress towards the bomb? Re-instating the sanctions won't prevent them from making a bomb, in fact it may very well give them a reason to hurry it along. Your mistrust of Iran no matter how justified does not mean that we should just sit by and let them build a bomb when there are alternatives that will strengthen the case of the moderates in Iran and at least delay their progress towards a bomb temporarily.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •