Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 193

Thread: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    From CNN:

    The ability of the U.S. and Canadian military to defend North America could be jeopardized by stepped up Russian military activity, according to the commander of the North American Aerospace Defense Command.

    Adm. William Gortney told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday that Russia is continuing to work on its program to deploy "long-range conventionally armed cruise missiles," that can be launched from its bomber aircraft, submarines and warships. This is giving the Kremlin "deterrent" options "short of the nuclear threshold," Gortney said.
    U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat - CNN.com

    It should be noted that this is but one geopolitical development albeit by one of the world's major powers. With various other countries increasing their military strength, it makes little sense for the U.S. to be on fiscal path that could reduce U.S. military power, including but not limited to combat manpower, in relative and perhaps even absolute terms. In the 21st century world, power matters, just as it has in earlier periods. The notion that hard power can be supplanted by rules or international institutions is little more than a hollow rationalization that makes little or no constructive national security contribution.

  2. #2
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From CNN:



    U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat - CNN.com

    It should be noted that this is but one geopolitical development albeit by one of the world's major powers. With various other countries increasing their military strength, it makes little sense for the U.S. to be on fiscal path that could reduce U.S. military power, including but not limited to combat manpower, in relative and perhaps even absolute terms. In the 21st century world, power matters, just as it has in earlier periods. The notion that hard power can be supplanted by rules or international institutions is little more than a hollow rationalization that makes little or no constructive national security contribution.
    Don't expect much support of your notion from the Left side of the house.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #3
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From CNN:



    U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat - CNN.com

    It should be noted that this is but one geopolitical development albeit by one of the world's major powers. With various other countries increasing their military strength, it makes little sense for the U.S. to be on fiscal path that could reduce U.S. military power, including but not limited to combat manpower, in relative and perhaps even absolute terms. In the 21st century world, power matters, just as it has in earlier periods. The notion that hard power can be supplanted by rules or international institutions is little more than a hollow rationalization that makes little or no constructive national security contribution.
    The US is already spending more than the next ten largest militaries combined, I don't think you have much to worry about. A little reduction in military spending is not going to do much.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    The US is already spending more than the next ten largest militaries combined, I don't think you have much to worry about. A little reduction in military spending is not going to do much.
    That's because it's not about defense. It's about hegemony, imperialism and dominance.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,360

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From CNN:



    U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat - CNN.com

    It should be noted that this is but one geopolitical development albeit by one of the world's major powers. With various other countries increasing their military strength, it makes little sense for the U.S. to be on fiscal path that could reduce U.S. military power, including but not limited to combat manpower, in relative and perhaps even absolute terms. In the 21st century world, power matters, just as it has in earlier periods. The notion that hard power can be supplanted by rules or international institutions is little more than a hollow rationalization that makes little or no constructive national security contribution.
    Not to worry if Hillary is elected in 2016. She still has the restart button. It is sitting on her personal server.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From CNN:



    U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat - CNN.com

    It should be noted that this is but one geopolitical development albeit by one of the world's major powers. With various other countries increasing their military strength, it makes little sense for the U.S. to be on fiscal path that could reduce U.S. military power, including but not limited to combat manpower, in relative and perhaps even absolute terms. In the 21st century world, power matters, just as it has in earlier periods. The notion that hard power can be supplanted by rules or international institutions is little more than a hollow rationalization that makes little or no constructive national security contribution.


    Heya DS some seem to think we are not stretched thin.....how many do you think knows we have to revamp the Ohio class in less than 20 years? Moreover, the Russians have been testing us much more aggressively. Why do you think that is?



    Today its not quite uncommon to allude to the Cold War (the superb 'War is Boring' blog has a great piece that advises people to stop ill-advisedly referring to the so-called “height of the Cold War”) and the idea that we're in a “new Cold War” with a “resurgent Russia” causing trouble and escalating tensions with the United States and its NATO allies. Especially in light of Russia's aggressive actions in Eastern Ukraine. This so-called “new Cold War” narrative has the Russians with their armed forces back in Europe and a dangerously unpredictable premier in the Kremlin.

    Oh and they're building new nuclear submarines and the Russian Navy is gradually being revamped and increased in size and capability. This comes after all the Typhoon-class submarines have been phased out and are gradually being replaced. A cursory look at planned submarines and what has come in to fill the vacuum left by the gradual phasing out of the Typhoon's (in lieu of a modernization program which interestingly would have proved to be more expensive than simply building completely new and more economical submarines), the slightly smaller, but not overly inferior looking, Borei-class submarines, three of which have been already been put to sea (the third of which was commissioned just last month) and around another five are expected sometime in the near future, aren't really much to be concerned about. As always Russia perceives itself as a great power and such capital naval vessels are part and parcel of being a military superpower.....snip~

    https://www.the-newshub.com/technolo...ear-submarines

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,399

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From CNN:



    U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat - CNN.com

    It should be noted that this is but one geopolitical development albeit by one of the world's major powers. With various other countries increasing their military strength, it makes little sense for the U.S. to be on fiscal path that could reduce U.S. military power, including but not limited to combat manpower, in relative and perhaps even absolute terms. In the 21st century world, power matters, just as it has in earlier periods. The notion that hard power can be supplanted by rules or international institutions is little more than a hollow rationalization that makes little or no constructive national security contribution.
    For a few years we could probably have removed any threat from Russia. We didn't.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya DS some seem to think we are not stretched thin.....how many do you think knows we have to revamp the Ohio class in less than 20 years? Moreover, the Russians have been testing us much more aggressively. Why do you think that is?



    Today its not quite uncommon to allude to the Cold War (the superb 'War is Boring' blog has a great piece that advises people to stop ill-advisedly referring to the so-called “height of the Cold War”) and the idea that we're in a “new Cold War” with a “resurgent Russia” causing trouble and escalating tensions with the United States and its NATO allies. Especially in light of Russia's aggressive actions in Eastern Ukraine. This so-called “new Cold War” narrative has the Russians with their armed forces back in Europe and a dangerously unpredictable premier in the Kremlin.

    Oh and they're building new nuclear submarines and the Russian Navy is gradually being revamped and increased in size and capability. This comes after all the Typhoon-class submarines have been phased out and are gradually being replaced. A cursory look at planned submarines and what has come in to fill the vacuum left by the gradual phasing out of the Typhoon's (in lieu of a modernization program which interestingly would have proved to be more expensive than simply building completely new and more economical submarines), the slightly smaller, but not overly inferior looking, Borei-class submarines, three of which have been already been put to sea (the third of which was commissioned just last month) and around another five are expected sometime in the near future, aren't really much to be concerned about. As always Russia perceives itself as a great power and such capital naval vessels are part and parcel of being a military superpower.....snip~

    https://www.the-newshub.com/technolo...ear-submarines
    Right, Russia's the instigator, escalator and trouble maker, and we're just sitting over here minding our own business while Russia's doing provocative fly bys. What's wrong with America if we can't protect ourselves with eight times the military expenditures of the nearest competitor? Oh, that's right. It's not about defense. We're stretched thin trying to cover the entire planet with the hegemonic policies of control, coercion and imperialism.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #9
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    For a few years we could probably have removed any threat from Russia. We didn't.
    Yep, those provocative NATO expansions.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Right, Russia's the instigator, escalator and trouble maker, and we're just sitting over here minding our own business while Russia's doing provocative fly bys. What's wrong with America if we can't protect ourselves with eight times the military expenditures of the nearest competitor? Oh, that's right. It's not about defense. We're stretched thin trying to cover the entire planet with the hegemonic policies of control, coercion and imperialism.
    That's Right we are stretched thin.....we didn't become a Superpower just to run around and help the meek. Moreover Russia is doing more than just Fly-bys.

    Which says nothing of the Kremlin and how they feel.




    That being said one wouldn't necessarily advocate the consumption of too much Kool-Aid regarding Russia's belligerency in Eastern Ukraine and the general thuggish and increasingly autocratic nature of its premier, Mr. Vladimir Putin. These are indeed issues to be concerned about.....snip~


    Let me guess.....you want someone else to take care of our problem for us, Right? Hope someone will come and save the day, huh?

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •