Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 193

Thread: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

  1. #11
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,484

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Right, Russia's the instigator, escalator and trouble maker, and we're just sitting over here minding our own business while Russia's doing provocative fly bys. What's wrong with America if we can't protect ourselves with eight times the military expenditures of the nearest competitor? Oh, that's right. It's not about defense. We're stretched thin trying to cover the entire planet with the hegemonic policies of control, coercion and imperialism.
    Actually that's the first accurate thing you've posted to my knowledge.

    Sorry all of you, but it is Canadian airspace being threatened here by a huge margin. The Russians dispatched several bombers to test Canadian airspace, triggering a NORAD alert while all you were arguing whether sanctions would work. There was NO provocation from Canadian Forces. Russian fighters have also buzzed Canadian frigate patrolling the Arctic. And they have been able to penetrate Canadian air space....think about that.

    So, you are right. Russia's the instigator.

    Look, Americans may have bought all that bull**** about a new Russia and all that, but Canada hasn't and won't. We've lived too long between the two of you.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  2. #12
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,484

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From CNN:



    U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat - CNN.com

    It should be noted that this is but one geopolitical development albeit by one of the world's major powers. With various other countries increasing their military strength, it makes little sense for the U.S. to be on fiscal path that could reduce U.S. military power, including but not limited to combat manpower, in relative and perhaps even absolute terms. In the 21st century world, power matters, just as it has in earlier periods. The notion that hard power can be supplanted by rules or international institutions is little more than a hollow rationalization that makes little or no constructive national security contribution.


    Living in the country with the smallest standing military in the G-8, having my country's air space invaded by nuke carrying Russian bombers is not what anyone would call comfortable.

    Now, having the commander of NORAD, the most successful bi-lateral military venture in history, tell me that there aren't enough planes to do the job, makes me a lot more nervous than I want to be.

    BTW, the report that no airspace has been compromised is wrong. Canada's defense minister last spring at the outset of Crimea announced to Parliament that Canada's air space had indeed been violated. I don't know about US-Russian relations, but Canada-US relations are as bad as the height of the cold war.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    For a few years we could probably have removed any threat from Russia. We didn't.
    Yeah Jog. Now are brass has some major concerns. From Disbanding the Iron Brigade to Drone Problems and recruiting Pilots.



    New Russian Submarines Are So Silent That The U.S. Navy Calls Them “Black Holes”

    New Russian Submarines Are So Silent That The U.S. Navy Calls Them


    >" The much-anticipated delivery of these submarines, dubbed by the US Navy as “black holes in the ocean” because they are nearly undetectable when submerged, is a key part of Russia’s naval strategy in the Mediterranean "<



    https://www.defencetalk.com/russia-f...#ixzz34YYAeJnv

  4. #14
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Actually that's the first accurate thing you've posted to my knowledge.

    Sorry all of you, but it is Canadian airspace being threatened here by a huge margin. The Russians dispatched several bombers to test Canadian airspace, triggering a NORAD alert while all you were arguing whether sanctions would work. There was NO provocation from Canadian Forces. Russian fighters have also buzzed Canadian frigate patrolling the Arctic. And they have been able to penetrate Canadian air space....think about that.

    So, you are right. Russia's the instigator.

    Look, Americans may have bought all that bull**** about a new Russia and all that, but Canada hasn't and won't. We've lived too long between the two of you.
    Then do what the **** you must and leave the US out of it. What patronizing drivel. I'm sick of the hypocrisy in it all too.

    America’s Dangerous Double Standard on Air and Sea “Provocations”

    But one might at least expect the United States and its allies to be consistent about their attitude toward provocative air and naval maneuvers. Instead, the United States has adopted a blatant double standard when it comes to the actions of its own armed forces. China, for example, has asked that U.S. (as well as Japanese and South Korean) military aircraft respect Beijing’s air defense identification zone in the East China Sea and provide timely information about flights entering that area. Washington and its allies not only refuse to do so, they refuse even to recognize the legitimacy of that zone. Yet such resistance is not considered to be provocative or creating a threat to aircraft safety.

    In addition, the United States routinely operates reconnaissance flights barely outside China’s territorial airspace, including near a major Chinese submarine base on Hainan Island. Those flights, and China’s dispatch of fighter planes to intercept them, have led to a number of nasty incidents, including a near collision earlier this year and an actual collision in 2001. Yet Washington has brushed off Beijing’s complaints, noting that the reconnaissance planes are operating in international airspace. Indeed, U.S. officials chastise China for trying to intercept and harass the spy flights.

    http://nationalinterest.org/feature/...s”-11721
    Last edited by Montecresto; 03-13-15 at 06:40 PM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #15
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    That's Right we are stretched thin.....we didn't become a Superpower just to run around and help the meek. Moreover Russia is doing more than just Fly-bys.

    Which says nothing of the Kremlin and how they feel.




    That being said one wouldn't necessarily advocate the consumption of too much Kool-Aid regarding Russia's belligerency in Eastern Ukraine and the general thuggish and increasingly autocratic nature of its premier, Mr. Vladimir Putin. These are indeed issues to be concerned about.....snip~


    Let me guess.....you want someone else to take care of our problem for us, Right? Hope someone will come and save the day, huh?
    Not at all, it's within our means to solve our own problems, but smart asses and dumb elephants can't seem to succeed.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #16
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yeah Jog. Now are brass has some major concerns. From Disbanding the Iron Brigade to Drone Problems and recruiting Pilots.



    New Russian Submarines Are So Silent That The U.S. Navy Calls Them “Black Holes”

    New Russian Submarines Are So Silent That The U.S. Navy Calls Them


    >" The much-anticipated delivery of these submarines, dubbed by the US Navy as “black holes in the ocean” because they are nearly undetectable when submerged, is a key part of Russia’s naval strategy in the Mediterranean "<



    https://www.defencetalk.com/russia-f...#ixzz34YYAeJnv
    Don't **** with Russia, and there's nothing to fear.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Not at all, it's within our means to solve our own problems, but smart asses and dumb elephants can't seem to succeed.
    One things for sure.....no others have become relevant to shows us they are even in the game.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    One things for sure.....no others have become relevant to shows us they are even in the game.
    Well yeah, that's because independents that outnumber both registered republicans and registered democrats, aren't truly independent.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Actually that's the first accurate thing you've posted to my knowledge.

    Sorry all of you, but it is Canadian airspace being threatened here by a huge margin. The Russians dispatched several bombers to test Canadian airspace, triggering a NORAD alert while all you were arguing whether sanctions would work. There was NO provocation from Canadian Forces. Russian fighters have also buzzed Canadian frigate patrolling the Arctic. And they have been able to penetrate Canadian air space....think about that.

    So, you are right. Russia's the instigator.

    Look, Americans may have bought all that bull**** about a new Russia and all that, but Canada hasn't and won't. We've lived too long between the two of you.


    Heya F&L. They did the same with us to, plus pulled out a some top gun moves on 2 Recon Planes we have. They are the only Two in the world like them. 2 Pilots and at least 22-28 people aboard. U.S. Air Force RC-135U.




    Russian Bombers Fly Within 50 Miles of California Coast

    Excerpts:

    >..."Four Russian strategic bombers triggered U.S. air defense systems while conducting practice bombing runs near Alaska this week, with two of the Tu-95 Bear H aircraft coming within 50 miles of the California coast, the North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad) confirmed Wednesday.

    “At the height of the Cold War I do not remember them getting this close. Mr. Putin had to approve this mission and he is just showing his personal contempt for President Obama right after meeting him in Normandy less than a week ago,” McInerney said.

    McInerney said no American president has been treated with such disrespect in U.S. history.....snip~

    Russian Bombers Fly Within 50 Miles of California Coast | Washington Free Beacon

  10. #20
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya F&L. They did the same with us to, plus pulled out a some top gun moves on 2 Recon Planes we have. They are the only Two in the world like them. 2 Pilots and at least 22-28 people aboard. U.S. Air Force RC-135U.




    Russian Bombers Fly Within 50 Miles of California Coast

    Excerpts:

    >..."Four Russian strategic bombers triggered U.S. air defense systems while conducting practice bombing runs near Alaska this week, with two of the Tu-95 Bear H aircraft coming within 50 miles of the California coast, the North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad) confirmed Wednesday.

    “At the height of the Cold War I do not remember them getting this close. Mr. Putin had to approve this mission and he is just showing his personal contempt for President Obama right after meeting him in Normandy less than a week ago,” McInerney said.

    McInerney said no American president has been treated with such disrespect in U.S. history.....snip~

    Russian Bombers Fly Within 50 Miles of California Coast | Washington Free Beacon
    The US air-force does the same damn thing to others. So what.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •