Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 193

Thread: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Yes, about the same fate met the land owners pushed aside to build the Panama Canal.
    If that's the usual response to international news then I can understand why the US MSM doesn't bother much with it.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    If that's the usual response to international news then I can understand why the US MSM doesn't bother much with it.
    What does that mean Grant?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #123
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Right. Like I said, it's been the US dominating sea lanes, and that's changing, better be prepared to live with it.
    The US's chief interest is keeping free trade and open sea lanes. As I said, that is patently NOT the objective of either the Chinese or the Russians. You should appreciate that difference because it's rather significant.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    The US's chief interest is keeping free trade and open sea lanes. As I said, that is patently NOT the objective of either the Chinese or the Russians. You should appreciate that difference because it's rather significant.
    Really? What sea lanes have the Russians or Chinese closed?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #125
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Really? What sea lanes have the Russians or Chinese closed?
    You could check out the Russian actions in the Arctic right about now, and ask yourself precisely what claim they are attempting to make with their military. You could also ask yourself what the Chinese air exclusion zone over Japanese Islands is all about, as well as the intimidation of the Vietnamese, Philippines and other nations in the South China Sea is all about. You probably won't, but you could.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    You could check out the Russian actions in the Arctic right about now, and ask yourself precisely what claim they are attempting to make with their military. You could also ask yourself what the Chinese air exclusion zone over Japanese Islands is all about, as well as the intimidation of the Vietnamese, Philippines and other nations in the South China Sea is all about. You probably won't, but you could.
    Like I said, what sea lanes have either of those countries closed, or threatened to close, hmm?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #127
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From CNN:



    U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat - CNN.com

    It should be noted that this is but one geopolitical development albeit by one of the world's major powers. With various other countries increasing their military strength, it makes little sense for the U.S. to be on fiscal path that could reduce U.S. military power, including but not limited to combat manpower, in relative and perhaps even absolute terms. In the 21st century world, power matters, just as it has in earlier periods. The notion that hard power can be supplanted by rules or international institutions is little more than a hollow rationalization that makes little or no constructive national security contribution.
    *yawn*

    If you've just gotta worry about something, worry about cyberwar capabilities. The Russians don't want to risk their cities being turned to ash, just like we don't want that - such is the perverse beauty of MAD. Besides, the Russians know down deep inside that there's an economic behemoth to their south, and they worry a heck of a lot more about China than they do about us.

    But when it comes to cyberwar, this can be done without an obvious smoking gun - which is why that's what needs top priority.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    What does that mean Grant?
    The Chinese are building a canal across Central America which will dwarf Panama, which Carter gave to the Panamanians during his presidency, and this is a pretty big deal. And your response concerned land owners on the Panama Canal over a century ago, which had nothing to do with the present or the future. Debating present events from the past can be interesting but there's also a time to reflect on the future and what this might mean for Central America, America, shipping lanes, trade and world hegemony.

  9. #129
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Huge shock, a career military warhawk arguing for more funding. He's me ignoring anything he has to say

  10. #130
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The Chinese are building a canal across Central America which will dwarf Panama, which Carter gave to the Panamanians during his presidency, and this is a pretty big deal. And your response concerned land owners on the Panama Canal over a century ago, which had nothing to do with the present or the future. Debating present events from the past can be interesting but there's also a time to reflect on the future and what this might mean for Central America, America, shipping lanes, trade and world hegemony.
    Yes I see. China building a new and improved exchange between the Gulf and pacific doesn't bother me. If the rights of property owners that are in its path aren't being treated fairly in the process, that does. Looking at the events during the founding of the Panama Canal through the northern extent of Columbia, and the numbers of peasants that suffered its fate, is more than interesting, it's evidence that there's nothing new under the sun.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •