Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

  1. #1
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

    Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses | Fox News

    Stirred by the controversy surrounding Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server when she was secretary of state, a determined band of hackers, IT bloggers, and systems analysts have trained their specialized talents and state-of-the-art software on clintonemail.com, the domain under which Clinton established multiple private email accounts, and uncovered serious lapses in security, according to data shared with Fox News.

    The findings call into question Clinton’s confident declaration, at a hastily arranged news conference in New York on Tuesday, that “there were no security breaches” in her use of a private server. One prominent figure in the hacker community, bolstered by long experience in the U.S. intelligence community, has undertaken to build a virtual “replica” of Clinton’s server configuration in a cyberlab, and has begun testing it with tools designed to probe security defenses. This individual has shared details of the Clinton system not disclosed publicly but legally obtainable.
    There's a second reason beyond accountability for why this was wrong, SECURITY.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #2
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,958
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses | Fox News
    There's a second reason beyond accountability for why this was wrong, SECURITY.
    What would be useful info would be lapses in SOP in her server vs the lapses in the server she would have been using otherwise.

    A list of lapses of one or the other [clinton's vs the State] by itself isn't particularly informative as what level of risk was increased or avoided.
    We actually need an analysis of both of them.

    It's not a foregone conclusion that the govt run server is totally up to w/e standard.

    I may be wrong.

  3. #3
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    What would be useful info would be lapses in SOP in her server vs the lapses in the server she would have been using otherwise.

    A list of lapses of one or the other [clinton's vs the State] by itself isn't particularly informative as what level of risk was increased or avoided.
    We actually need an analysis of both of them.

    It's not a foregone conclusion that the govt run server is totally up to w/e standard.

    It's a matter of policy that the govt control govt email. No way am I going to getting into an argument comparing security. Apparently her sever has already been shown to be a PoS anyway, so I don't think that bodes well for her having her own server.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #4
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,958
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    It's a matter of policy that the govt control govt email. No way am I going to getting into an argument comparing security. Apparently her sever has already been shown to be a PoS anyway, so I don't think that bodes well for her having her own server.
    It's possible that the clinton server was more secure than the gov alternative.
    If that was the case it would seem that there's not really a case to be made that the clinton server represents a decrease in security.
    We cannot compare the security status of the two possible servers with information only on one server.
    At least I cannot.
    ymmv.

    What has been shown is current status of a server which the article indicates has probably been deprecated.

    This too is different than the relative security status of the server when it was in use.

    The article is breathless but doesn't actually provide us the info needed to reach the conclusions you and the article seem to want us to reach.
    I may be wrong.

  5. #5
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses | Fox News


    There's a second reason beyond accountability for why this was wrong, SECURITY.
    So Hillary did a complete investigation, and declared her server was breach free. Damn, places like Target, Sony and Yahoo might want to hire Hillary to be in charge of their Security groups. That woman is amazing, what she can do.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    It's possible that the clinton server was more secure than the gov alternative.
    If that was the case it would seem that there's not really a case to be made that the clinton server represents a decrease in security.
    We cannot compare the security status of the two possible servers with information only on one server.
    At least I cannot.
    ymmv.

    What has been shown is current status of a server which the article indicates has probably been deprecated.

    This too is different than the relative security status of the server when it was in use.

    The article is breathless but doesn't actually provide us the info needed to reach the conclusions you and the article seem to want us to reach.
    Are you serious hunting for excuses to get them off the hook? Really? If you can't see the falacy in what she did for all kinds of reasons, there's nothing for us to talk about. You can plainly see the wrong in it from an ethics perspective alone, then security, then breaking govt policy.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #7
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,958
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Are you serious hunting for excuses to get them off the hook? Really?
    Pointing out that the argument which has been presented is flawed is not the same thing as approving of what Clinton did.
    Nor is it the same thing as trying to excuse what Clinton has done.
    It merely is what it is--pointing out that the argument presented is incomplete at best.

    I may be wrong.

  8. #8
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Pointing out that the argument which has been presented is flawed is not the same thing as approving of what Clinton did.
    Nor is it the same thing as trying to excuse what Clinton has done.
    It merely is what it is--pointing out that the argument presented is incomplete at best.

    How is it flawed?

    Perhaps most concerning, private analysts determined that clintonemail.com has been running an older model of Microsoft Internet Information Services, or IIS – specifically version 7.5, which has been documented to leave users exposed on multiple fronts. The website CVEDetails.com, which bills itself as “the ultimate security vulnerability datasource,” is awash with descriptions of serious security vulnerabilities associated with version 7.5, including “memory corruption,” “password disclosure vulnerability,” and the enabling of “remote attackers to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service.”

    The cyberlab technician who discovered the Clintons’ use of version 7.5 marveled at “the vulnerabilities the Clintons are ignoring” in an email to Fox News. “This is a big deal and just the thing real-world hackers look for in a target and will exploit to the max,” the source said.
    What we have here is amateur hour at the Clinton email server complex. So you're serious going to question whether the government's servers at State are just as or more vulnerable than this?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,884

    Re: Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So Hillary did a complete investigation, and declared her server was breach free. Damn, places like Target, Sony and Yahoo might want to hire Hillary to be in charge of their Security groups. That woman is amazing, what she can do.
    If elected Prez, she will also take on ISIS personally, fly her own plane into the conflict zones.
    I don't know if the woman is just too conceded and narcissistic, or just too darn gullible. And is she really the best we, as a nation and regardless of party, can come up with?

  10. #10
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Hackers, probing Clinton server, cite security lapses

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    What would be useful info would be lapses in SOP in her server vs the lapses in the server she would have been using otherwise.

    A list of lapses of one or the other [clinton's vs the State] by itself isn't particularly informative as what level of risk was increased or avoided.
    We actually need an analysis of both of them.

    It's not a foregone conclusion that the govt run server is totally up to w/e standard.

    Good Idea, let's do a full probe of the State Email and if it is as lacking as Clinton's server then the manager of that system shouldn't be allowed to work for the government either.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •