Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    05-05-15 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    632

    Re: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    What international body condemned Putin so?
    The UNGA and UNSC:


    United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262

    The resolution, which was supported by 100 United Nations member states, affirmed the United Nations commitment to recognize Crimea within Ukraine’s international borders and underscored the invalidity of the 2014 Crimean referendum. Armenia, Belarus, Bolivia, Cuba, North Korea, Nicaragua, Russia, Sudan, Syria, Venezuela and Zimbabwe all voted against the resolution. There were also 58 abstentions, and a further 24 states did not vote through being absent when the vote took place.

    United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    General Assembly Adopts Resolution Calling upon States Not to Recognize Changes in Status of Crimea Region

    General Assembly Adopts Resolution Calling upon States Not to Recognize Changes in Status of Crimea Region | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases

    Even the UNSC voted against it and had it not been for Russia's permanent member status it would have passed, even China abstained which was tantamount to a yes vote:

    15 March 2014 – Owing to the negative vote of one of its permanent members, the United Nations Security Council today failed to adopt a draft resolution which urged countries not to recognize the results of this weekend's referendum in Crimea.

    Thirteen of the Council's 15 members voted in favour of the draft text, Russia voted against, and China abstained. A veto by any of the Council's five permanent members – China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States – means a resolution cannot be adopted.


    United Nations News Centre - UN Security Council action on Crimea referendum blocked

    Only the Russian veto prevented the unanimous passing of the latter.

  2. #42
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    LOL...who is playing imperialist? USA or Russia?
    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    And America are WAY worse then Russia in terms of killing people. They have killed thousands of innocent civilians over the last 12 years. Overthrown regimes whenever they felt like it. Supported horrible regimes like the one in Saudi Arabia (which beheads FAR more people then ISIS). They commit technical acts of war by bombing countries with drone strikes. They detain innocent people for years without charge. Sure, Russia has done wrong. But compared to them, America hais done WAY worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    What did the US lift off of Spain at the conclusion of the Spanish American war?

    As you can see, even seventh graders are taught about American imperialism!!!
    So many whataboutisms. Seriously, your positions need nuance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    05-05-15 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    632

    Re: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    These days you don't need physical military in colonised lands. You can do the same using violent threats, political pressure and sanctions. The US has appointed itself the global leader and policeman. The entire civilized world is America's colony.
    lol delusional nonsense. Let's just change definitions on a whim whenever it suits our argument.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

    Quote Originally Posted by face, your View Post
    The UNGA and UNSC:


    United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262

    The resolution, which was supported by 100 United Nations member states, affirmed the United Nations commitment to recognize Crimea within Ukraine’s international borders and underscored the invalidity of the 2014 Crimean referendum. Armenia, Belarus, Bolivia, Cuba, North Korea, Nicaragua, Russia, Sudan, Syria, Venezuela and Zimbabwe all voted against the resolution. There were also 58 abstentions, and a further 24 states did not vote through being absent when the vote took place.

    United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    General Assembly Adopts Resolution Calling upon States Not to Recognize Changes in Status of Crimea Region

    General Assembly Adopts Resolution Calling upon States Not to Recognize Changes in Status of Crimea Region | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases

    Even the UNSC voted against it and had it not been for Russia's permanent member status it would have passed, even China abstained which was tantamount to a yes vote:

    15 March 2014 – Owing to the negative vote of one of its permanent members, the United Nations Security Council today failed to adopt a draft resolution which urged countries not to recognize the results of this weekend's referendum in Crimea.

    Thirteen of the Council's 15 members voted in favour of the draft text, Russia voted against, and China abstained. A veto by any of the Council's five permanent members – China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States – means a resolution cannot be adopted.


    United Nations News Centre - UN Security Council action on Crimea referendum blocked

    Only the Russian veto prevented the unanimous passing of the latter.
    Sorry dude, I don't know where you came up, but if you think that China's abstinence is affirmation, then you're just a wee bit round.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #45
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    So many whataboutisms. Seriously, your positions need nuance.
    Yes Mad, chop my post to fit what you will.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #46
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

    Can't believe the partisan assholes one has to deal with at DP.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    05-05-15 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    632

    Re: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Sorry dude, I don't know where you came up, but if you think that China's abstinence is affirmation, then you're just a wee bit round.
    Everyone was voting yes, the abstention was tantamount to a yes vote, had they supported the Russian position they would have voted no.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

    Quote Originally Posted by face, your View Post
    Everyone was voting yes, the abstention was tantamount to a yes vote, had they supported the Russian position they would have voted no.
    Sorry, your wrong. And you either don't understand politics, or you are being intentionally obtuse.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #49
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,118

    Re: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Sorry, your wrong. And you either don't understand politics, or you are being intentionally obtuse.
    He is right. China abstaining is a procedural maneuver for affirming the resolution without officially embarrassing Russia. It is an expedient vehicle for not actively blocking a measure. In most assemblies, an abstention on a matter decided by unanimity has the effect of a yes vote.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  10. #50
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Putin awards medal to chief suspect in Litvinenko murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    He is right. China abstaining is a procedural maneuver for affirming the resolution without officially embarrassing Russia. It is an expedient vehicle for not actively blocking a measure. In most assemblies, an abstention on a matter decided by unanimity has the effect of a yes vote.
    I don't deny its effect. It certainly does not mean that China's position is in the affirmative though, and let the US continue on the same FP course we're on and we'll continue to drive these two reluctant partners closer together, and eventually, China's interests will be even more supportive of Russia.

    As the following headlines show, bad American policy has pushed Russia, China and Iran closer together:

    China calls for new Asian security structure based on group with Russia, Iran that excludes US (Fox)
    Russia may build eight nuclear reactors for Iran (Reuters)
    Russia signs 30-year gas deal with China (BBC)
    Putin Post-Mortem: “Unipolar Model Of World Is Over… Give Us Our Money” (Zero Hedge)
    As we’ve repeatedly warned, the neocons and neolibs have pushed so hard to ensure a “New American Century” – i.e. American hegemony for another 100 years – that they’ve instead created “No American Century”.

    Beware Collusion of China, Russia
    U.S. policies have created a risk of pushing two great powers together.

    Beware Collusion of China, Russia | The National Interest


    ANALYSIS CHINA RUSSIA US
    Flawed US Foreign Policy Encourages Russia-China Alliance
    by Aurangzeb Qureshi May 29, 2014 No Comments

    http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/...hina-alliance/

    Here's How The Ukraine Crisis Is Deepening Military Ties Between China And Russia
    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/russi...#ixzz3UeNm2iVu
    Last edited by Montecresto; 03-17-15 at 10:44 AM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •