Page 13 of 83 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 826

Thread: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership [W:251]

  1. #121
    Student Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mancave hidden deep in the mountains
    Last Seen
    08-09-17 @ 03:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    267

    Re: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Clear it up for me - what, specifically, in the letter is the Senate "conducting negotiations"?
    There was none....seems to me they were just reminding everyone that they have a role in this. And they do.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Last Seen
    08-02-17 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,375

    Re: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    "Turnabout is fair play" is a game for children. Arriving at a deal with Iran, however unpleasant, has serious consequences and is important.
    No its not.. No deal is the BEST DEAL... and back to hardline snactions...

    your posts are LOL worthy...

    Karma is about to bite John FAIL Kerry.. and Barry Soetero

  3. #123
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Clear it up for me - what, specifically, in the letter is the Senate "conducting negotiations"?
    They don't have to conduct negotiations. Carrying out direct contact with a foreign government with intent to influence official negotiations violates the Logan act. The Logan act was passed in 1799 to prevent a similar occurrence where the opposition party attempted to influence negotiations with the French Government.
    Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

    This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply himself, or his agent, to any foreign government, or the agents thereof, for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
    Only their King has sole authority......all others do not apply.
    sadly, that's is becoming more clear by the day.

    a few years ago, i would have said bull****.... but not so much anymore.

  5. #125
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I have come to expect the leftist members of the lumpenproletariat who serve as President Pinocchio's rear guard to act like very witless children. And I'm seldom disappointed.
    First principle of government in democracy is that if you can't follow, you can't rule. Period. The end.

    I'm a bit weary of hearing Republicans ranting about why they don't have to adhere to simple virtues like that when they fully expect Democrats to abide by them during Republican Administrations.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  6. #126
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    They don't have to conduct negotiations. Carrying out direct contact with a foreign government with intent to influence official negotiations violates the Logan act. The Logan act was passed in 1799 to prevent a similar occurrence where the opposition party attempted to influence negotiations with the French Government.
    nope... you're wrong.

    the phrase "without authority of the United States" screws up your entire Logan act argument.

    sitting Senators , by definition, are exempt from this act

  7. #127
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I have come to expect the leftist members of the lumpenproletariat who serve as President Pinocchio's rear guard to act like very witless children. And I'm seldom disappointed.
    Obama is trying to work out an incredibly difficult deal to prevent Iran from getting the bomb, and the Republicans in congress and all (unless I've missed any exceptions) of the ones in this thread think it's a hilarious little game to play for political points. The children here are the conservatives, who have once again proven themselves unfit to govern.

  8. #128
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,918

    Re: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership

    What this group of Republicans did is irresponsible. Does anyone know of similar action by Congress in the last 50 years?
    As mentioned, no one knows what the deal entails. The Republicans appear to have had, trial, judgment and execution on this deal without knowledge of the deal.
    Now is that leadership, when they will know within the next few weeks or months what the deal will entail?
    And I see how Republicans slam Obama over Cuba - a failed policy- and largely handled and publicly opposed by Cuban immigrants.
    A hot button issues where candidates suck up for support and have to maintain the hardline against Cuba.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  9. #129
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    yeah, sorry, the Logan act does not apply to Congressmen acting on their authority.


    are you going to argue that US Senators acting in their official capacity do not have the authority of the United States?... I'd rethink that premise, if i were you.


    the Logan act was meant to prevent private citizens, without authority of the united states, from undermining negotiations
    The Logan Act clearly doesn't prevent congress from acting on their authority. However the founding fathers, (ie the people who passed the Logan Act) made it clear that negotiations with other governments can only be carried out by the executive branch. In fact the Logan act was passed by Federalists in response to Republicans conducting back door communication with the French government. Your point isn't without merit and would certainly come up during any prosecution, but it's far from an obvious conclusion. If anything, because they did not inform the administration in any way before they sent this letter, it's likely that the senators were not acting on behalf of the US government.

  10. #130
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Obama Blasts Republicans Over Letter to Iranian Leadership

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    nope... you're wrong.

    the phrase "without authority of the United States" screws up your entire Logan act argument.

    sitting Senators , by definition, are exempt from this act
    Such brilliance.

    But if I may be so bold.... Do you by any chance have any legal reasoning to go along with your complete certainty? For example, would a small town mayor also be exempt?

Page 13 of 83 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •