Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 457

Thread: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

  1. #51
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,087

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    When you find those missing cell phone videos of SAE members singing racist songs, post them. Along with your evidence of how the national SAE organization is promoting, and specifically how they're doing it.
    So much deflection. Remember, there are now more instances of university students being racist with the ONLY thing in common being SAE. You can't wave that away and chuck it to some non-reason.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #52
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So much deflection. Remember, there are now more instances of university students being racist with the ONLY thing in common being SAE. You can't wave that away and chuck it to some non-reason.
    So the only racism that the University of Oklahoma has ever seen is from SAE? That's quite a claim. Or are you saying that there is no racism anywhere on other campuses except when it's coming from an SAE chapter?

    It also has nothing to do with SAE national promoting racism, as you claim they do. Where is your evidence of that? (hint - a few isolated instances isn't evidence of anything coming from a higher level - you're smart enough to know that).

    By the way, while you're at it, post proof that SAE chapters at all of the different universities have a current culture of racism, and what SAE is doing to create that culture.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #53
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,087

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So the only racism that the University of Oklahoma has ever seen is from SAE?
    Nope, this is why reading comprehension is important. What we've established that various chapters from the same organization engage in the same activities. That establishes a pattern within the organization whether you like it or not. The facts surrounding the chant provide more clues. Can you show a similar situation with a different fraternity?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #54
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Nope, this is why reading comprehension is important. What we've established that various chapters from the same organization engage in the same activities. That establishes a pattern within the organization whether you like it or not. The facts surrounding the chant provide more clues. Can you show a similar situation with a different fraternity?
    No evidence. I'm disappointed. I thought you quoted me because you had something to share.

    No, you're right. There is no other fraternal organization in the nation that has ever had an experience with racism on campuses - ever. And the only racism that exists at Oklahoma is in the SAE house. So do away with SAE, and there will be no more racism in this country on college campuses. I hope it works out for you!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #55
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,484

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Nope, this is why reading comprehension is important. What we've established that various chapters from the same organization engage in the same activities. That establishes a pattern within the organization whether you like it or not. The facts surrounding the chant provide more clues. Can you show a similar situation with a different fraternity?
    Wow..

    More insulting posts instead of dialogue and debate...

    what a shock
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  6. #56
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,830

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Well its official some were just expelled

    2 University of Oklahoma students expelled over racist chant - CNN.com

    Two University of Oklahoma students were expelled Tuesday for their alleged "leadership role" in a racist chant by Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity members, a decision that President David Boren says speaks to his school's "zero tolerance" policy for such "threatening racist behavior." The expulsions come days after the video surfaced and hours before the midnight Tuesday deadline that SAE members were given to pack their bags and get out of their house. It was only a nine-second clip, but the fallout has been disastrous. The national chapter of SAE shuttered the house at OU, and Boren said the university's affiliation with the fraternity is permanently done.

    "I was not only shocked and disappointed but disgusted by the outright display of racism displayed in the video," said Brad Cohen, the fraternity's national president. "SAE is a diverse organization, and we have zero tolerance for racism or any bad behavior." Still, it could get worse. Oklahoma may not be the only source of embarrassment for the fraternity. "Several other incidents with chapters or members have been brought to the attention of the headquarters staff and leaders, and each of those instances will be investigated for further action," SAE said. The national chapter didn't provide details of the alleged incidents or where they are said to have taken place.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #57
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if the students can bring the University to court now. I saw this earlier (it was linked from Wapo):

    Public universities are bound by the First Amendment. Thus, both public university students and public university teachers are entitled to some protection from discipline, firing, and other retaliation for their speech. In some areas, this protection is pretty clear and pretty broad. In others, it's relatively vague. Student speech outside the classroom and outside academic assignments. Most clearly, students generally may not be expelled, suspended, or otherwise disciplined for what they say in student newspapers, at demonstrations, in out-of-class conversations, and the like. The Supreme Court made this clear in Papish v. Board of Curators, 410 U.S. 667 (1973), and Healy v. James, 408 U.S. 169 (1972). Lower courts have followed suit, especially in the late 1980s and 1990s cases that have struck down student speech codes. See, e.g., Dambrot v. Central Michigan Univ., 55 F.3d 1177 (6th Cir. 1995); Iota Xi v. George Mason Univ., 993 F.2d 386 (4th Cir. 1993); UWM Post v. Univ. of Wisc., 74 F. Supp. 1163 (E.D. Wis. 1991); Doe v. Univ. of Mich., 721 F. Supp. 852 (E.D. Mich. 1989).

    The Volokh Conspiracy - A Very Sketchy Guide to the First Amendment Law of Academic Freedom:
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #58
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,830
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #59
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant


  10. #60
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    I wonder if this means that public universities can expel any student who says something offensive now.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •