Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 457

Thread: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

  1. #411
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Actually a pubic bakery and a gay couple sound like they'd go together well
    Oh for the love of doG. I can't stop laughing. That was not Freudian, I assure you!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #412
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Dude there's such a thing as "Expectation of privacy".

    As an example, a few years ago you'd find a thread where I was in a security situation in the hotel with guests filming me, this made me very uncomfortable but there's nothing I can do because I couldn't prove I had an expectation of privacy in the performance if my duty in public.

    Romney was speaking at a private event with a fair number of people, he was filmed.

    A bus full of lads who probably 95% of which have smartphones with a Camera as does most of the population at this point...

    There's no expectation of privacy in either of those cases.
    Of course there is a reasonable expectation to privacy. Because I am having a conversation with 50 people in no way does that mean I necessarily want 500 others not in the room at the time of the conversation to be in on said conversation.

    To think otherwise seriously, is crazy. I'm not saying that dismissively or as an insult, I'm saying that the logic behind it is non logic. You are having a conversation with a certain group, a select group, that is who your intended audience is, not every animal on the planet with an IP address.

    What your inferring here, you haven't said it but you are inferring it is that people just need to accept that if they walk out of their home that they shouldn't have the expectation of privacy. That because they go out for a quart of milk, cup of sugar, and stick of butter that they must accept the possibility that they will be recorded, that you need to expect to have this happen.

    That isn't a society which I want to participate in, I don't know about you...
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  3. #413
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I don't even know what your position is. I guess you're arguing that these kids should be held privately accountable, but only by the school and shouldn't face any public consequences and should therefore remain anonymous except in the records of OU. I don't have any idea how you'd defend that as some kind of principle, just as a facts and circumstances thing, and in your view, with these facts, being expelled is more than enough punishment for the 'crime' of being a stupid, drunk college kid leading a racist chant.

    OK, that's fine. We can agree to disagree, and it's a moot point anyway because as soon as the video hit Youtube, their names were coming out sooner or later and I'm fine with that.
    Yes, what I'm saying is I don't think these dumbs kids should necessarily be public targets (checking to make sure the l is in there.....). Yes, I think being expelled was punishment enough. It will stay with them forever. What other punishment do you think they deserve, and for how long?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #414
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Dude there's such a thing as "Expectation of privacy".

    As an example, a few years ago you'd find a thread where I was in a security situation in the hotel with guests filming me, this made me very uncomfortable but there's nothing I can do because I couldn't prove I had an expectation of privacy in the performance if my duty in public.

    Romney was speaking at a private event with a fair number of people, he was filmed.

    A bus full of lads who probably 95% of which have smartphones with a Camera as does most of the population at this point...

    There's no expectation of privacy in either of those cases.
    There isn't an expectation of privacy in those examples, that's correct. But it's pretty sad that there is no more expectation of privacy. Anything you say or do can haunt you for the rest of your life because it can be captured by technology. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. That's why everyone has to be extremely careful what they say or do.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #415
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,324
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    That isn't a society which I want to participate in, I don't know about you...
    It is what it is now.

    Every tom dick and harry carries a cell phone with them and the unfortunate side effect is as soon as you're out of the house, you cannot have any reasonable expectation to privacy... have a bad day at Mcdonalds and yell at the poor chick getting payed nothing... well you're gonna be the asshole to all the world once the guy behind you presses the upload button.

    Romney was running for the highest office in the world and he spoke at a private venue, to a large group of people publicly and openly.

    I'm sorry but there is 0 expectations of privacy under the circumstances.

    As for the boys on the bus, once again, zero expectations of privacy, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that nobody

    1) had a right to film what happened.

    2) had a right to show anybody else.

    You may not like it, but it doesn't make it any less true.

  6. #416
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Romney was a big boy running for the most powerful and public job on planet earth, and if he expected his words in front of a large group to remain private, he was an idiot. Same with Obama speaking to the group in SF as I recall when he made the "cling to guns or religion" comment.
    My position is that when you step outside the bounds of your intended audience, the issue of privacy needs to be more thoroughly examined. This oh, you said it so the world hears it, is not acceptable.

    (My disdain for bartenders has nothing to do with Romney and his recording, I loathe them creatures on an ontological level.)
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  7. #417
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,324
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    There isn't an expectation of privacy in those examples, that's correct. But it's pretty sad that there is no more expectation of privacy. Anything you say or do can haunt you for the rest of your life because it can be captured by technology. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. That's why everyone has to be extremely careful what they say or do.
    Can't say I disagree, I did a thread on this yesterday.

    It's an interesting phenomenon.

  8. #418
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Of course there is a reasonable expectation to privacy. Because I am having a conversation with 50 people in no way does that mean I necessarily want 500 others not in the room at the time of the conversation to be in on said conversation.

    To think otherwise seriously, is crazy. I'm not saying that dismissively or as an insult, I'm saying that the logic behind it is non logic. You are having a conversation with a certain group, a select group, that is who your intended audience is, not every animal on the planet with an IP address.

    What your inferring here, you haven't said it but you are inferring it is that people just need to accept that if they walk out of their home that they shouldn't have the expectation of privacy. That because they go out for a quart of milk, cup of sugar, and stick of butter that they must accept the possibility that they will be recorded, that you need to expect to have this happen.

    That isn't a society which I want to participate in, I don't know about you.
    ..


    Then you might want to move to another planet, because that's going on all over this planet.

    If you don't want it recorded, then don't say or do it.

  9. #419
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Can't say I disagree, I did a thread on this yesterday.

    It's an interesting phenomenon.
    Sorry, I missed your thread on it. Link? I'd love to see it.

    I have this discussion with my kids almost every day. Things are so different now than they were decades ago. Forget DNA. Like you said, it's cell phones, which everyone has. One false move, one drunken mistake, and you are going to pay dearly and for a long time for being an asshole at McDonald's, peeing in the bushes, removing your blouse on the dance floor, and so on.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #420
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    It is what it is now.

    Every tom dick and harry carries a cell phone with them and the unfortunate side effect is as soon as you're out of the house, you cannot have any reasonable expectation to privacy... have a bad day at Mcdonalds and yell at the poor chick getting payed nothing... well you're gonna be the asshole to all the world once the guy behind you presses the upload button.

    Romney was running for the highest office in the world and he spoke at a private venue, to a large group of people publicly and openly.

    I'm sorry but there is 0 expectations of privacy under the circumstances.

    As for the boys on the bus, once again, zero expectations of privacy, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that nobody

    1) had a right to film what happened.

    2) had a right to show anybody else.

    You may not like it, but it doesn't make it any less true.
    Right, it is what it is NOW. I'm arguing that it isn't right. That it needs to be addressed. That it needs to be changed.

    I live in Chicago in case you haven't seen my locale, I've been being recorded for 10 + years, you're not enlightening me to the facts of the day.

    As for the boys on the bus yes, they did have a right to privacy because they weren't in public they were for all intents and purposes in their car, one big old car. You need a warrant to wiretap a person's car, so yes, there is a reasonable expectation to privacy in your car.
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •