Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 457

Thread: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

  1. #291
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    By the way, why are you okay with what the University did if you support Free Speech rights? And what right do you think the University has to punish someone for speech?
    Because, they have the right to run the university as they see fit...with whatever standards they like - assuming they are legal standards. No one is going to die if they cannot attend Sooner land.

    Though ideally, I would rather the university would respect free speech and not restrict such things...they are a business (like it or not - public or not) and they can run their business how they choose (again, within the law).

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The fact that they are not anonymous is the reason they are receiving death threats. The fact that they are not anonymous is the reason their families are receiving death threats. You said it was good to have their names in the open, and not allow them to remain in the shadows. So why is it good that they're out in the open? So they can be threatened?

    You're making nonsense now.

    I am saying that they should be allowed to say what they want without fear of retribution and that the threats are bad. BUT, that the university should have the right to boot them out if they wish.

    If you are going to twist my words, then this discussion is over.

    Good day.

  3. #293
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The fact that they are not anonymous is the reason they are receiving death threats. The fact that they are not anonymous is the reason their families are receiving death threats. You said it was good to have their names in the open, and not allow them to remain in the shadows. So why is it good that they're out in the open? So they can be threatened?
    As an african american - I don't care if they are threatened. There lyrics included a celebration of lynching.

    "They can hang from a tree"

    I have no sympathy for anything they are going through.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  4. #294
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Because, they have the right to run the university as they see fit...with whatever standards they like - assuming they are legal standards. No one is going to die if they cannot attend Sooner land.

    Though ideally, I would rather the university would respect free speech and not restrict such things...they are a business (like it or not - public or not) and they can run their business how they choose (again, within the law).
    It isn't a private university. It's a public university. As with any other public (government) entity, they're subject to the free speech guarantees of the First Amendment and aren't supposed punish students because they hold offensive views. This has been argued many times in courts.

    Public businesses can't operate how they choose. That's why you can't open a pubic bakery and deny service to a gay couple. Public accommodation laws.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #295
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    You're making nonsense now.

    I am saying that they should be allowed to say what they want without fear of retribution and that the threats are bad. BUT, that the university should have the right to boot them out if they wish.

    If you are going to twist my words, then this discussion is over.

    Good day.
    I'm not twisting your words. You said you're glad they're in the open. Why? The only thing that came out of them being in the open are death threats.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #296
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    As an african american - I don't care if they are threatened. There lyrics included a celebration of lynching.

    "They can hang from a tree"

    I have no sympathy for anything they are going through.
    I didn't know someone asked you to have sympathy for them.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #297
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I didn't know someone asked you to have sympathy for them.
    No one did. Welcome to the public forum Tres. I don't need your permission to respond to your post and share my thoughts. I can do so freely even without invitation.


    As far as I'm concerned those involved deserve all consequences they're decision to sing that filthy song has incurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  8. #298
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,161

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Who cares if YOU can't understand it, children can and they eat it up like its candy. Welcome to the internet for the sake of this discussion you could have looked up lyrics - But I will go ahead and do



    Please point out any rap songs that say white people are bad. Thanks for showing ignorance on a subject you don't understand once again.



















    This is probably because you are listening to mainstream streamline rap. Pushed out daily without any form of quality checking so that record companies can make a quick buck off of rap music that is mainly beats and repeated choruses.

    But what's your point. My contention with your post is that assumption that rap has anything to do with any bad behavior in white children. By and large there is all sorts of sordid music out there including music written and performed by white musicians.

    The images that I posted are album covers for metal bands. They speak for the material that is sung by white musicians and listened to by white kids.
    If you insists on lyrics from these bands here you go - And this is just one example of hundreds of others -



    This may be subjective but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is far more disturbing than anything you will hear in rap. Especially real rap.
    LA, CA...that explains it. 8)
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  9. #299
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    No one did. Welcome to the public forum Tres. I don't need your permission to respond to your post and share my thoughts. I can do so freely even without invitation.
    Of course you can. Not sure why you posted that to me, though. You can respond to my posts all you want. But it's nice if you would respond on topic. Nobody said anything about sympathy, including me.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #300
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Of course you can. Not sure why you posted that to me, though. You can respond to my posts all you want. But it's nice if you would respond on topic. Nobody said anything about sympathy, including me.
    I don't know what it is. I'm still human and since this hits home for me - I find all your talk about them lawyering up and finding vindication in all this repugnant.

    It scares me to see future leaders like them show that kind of hate. Those kids are our future congressmen and women, doctors, lawyers, cops, what have you.

    It's disturbing. They should be expelled and go flip burgers. Where their hate for black people can not bleed into others people lives by their influence.


    This is an emotional response, i can admit that. But I honestly don't understand why you care about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •