Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 457

Thread: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

  1. #201
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No, that's you trying out your 2nd strawman argument. What I have stated is that the university ignored it even though they without a doubt knew about it. This didn't start in a vacuum. There had to have been rumors, water cooler conversations, late night coffee and cigarette discussions where the school officials touched on the topic in some manner. However, they ignored it as long as it wasn't out in the open and they had no concrete evidence. That is entirely separate from the obvious fact that this was acceptable behavior amongst the fraternity's members. Have you even watched the video?
    Don't cry "strawman". That's weak, and you know it. You said this was "acceptable" behavior to the university. That's a pretty serious allegation as well.

    I've seen the clip on the bus. It's a 9 second clip. Why?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #202
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,844

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    The thought police at it again.....
    People can think and usually even say what they want....but the First Amendment only protects them from consequences from the govt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #203
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    People can think and usually even say what they want....but the First Amendment only protects them from consequences from the govt.
    That's what makes this murky. The University of Oklahoma is a state university.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #204
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Don't cry "strawman". That's weak, and you know it. You said this was "acceptable" behavior to the university.
    No, I did not. That's your strawman again. I said that this was acceptable behavior AMONGST THE MEMBERS. What members? Gee, I don't know. The Jackson 5 members? The members of Earth Wind & Fire perhaps? It's obvious I was talking about the fraternity's members. You're just trying to grasp at straws because every other argument you've made falls flat on its face.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #205
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,889

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's what makes this murky. The University of Oklahoma is a state university.
    True, and I'm not sure of the laws governing the state university structure in Oklahoma, but generally speaking, many state universities operate with a fairly high level of autonomy.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #206
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    What is Oklahoma's eavesdropping laws? The phone owner who recorded this -- if applicable -- should be charged.

    Is this not a private organization? Are they not allowed the freedom of expression and don't its members (of a fraternal organization known for its secrecy) have a certain expectation to privacy?

    Or have people lost their marbles again and decided to sacrifice rights and laws on the alter of political correctness?
    LOL! WUT?

    Eavesdropping laws are for recording telephone calls
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #207
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No, I did not. That's your strawman again. I said that this was acceptable behavior AMONGST THE MEMBERS. What members? Gee, I don't know. The Jackson 5 members? The members of Earth Wind & Fire perhaps? It's obvious I was talking about the fraternity's members. You're just trying to grasp at straws because every other argument you've made falls flat on its face.
    You didn't say any such thing. The poster was only talking about the University. Let me remind you of your post again:

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Given how nonchalantly the students were singing their racist song? Of course they f'n knew. Again, this was ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR for the members. To pretend that at no point the school administration knew of it is like saying Penn State didn't know about Sandusky.
    So once again - did you not read the post you quoted and responded to?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #208
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,377

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Huh? It was racist. Racists discriminate based on skin color. Bigots discriminate based on their beliefs.
    Better look up the definition of both words. I heard nothing to indicate:

    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  9. #209
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Better look up the definition of both words. I heard nothing to indicate:

    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    big·ot


    /ˈbiɡət/


    noun

    noun: bigot; plural noun: bigots


    a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #210
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You didn't say any such thing. The poster was only talking about the University. Let me remind you of your post again:
    Again, this was ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR for the members.
    You're grasping. The behavior in question was acceptable for the members of the fraternity. It doesn't mean that the university accepted their behavior. What it means is that that this sort of behavior was accepted by the members. Hell, the video gives zero indication of anything else. You trying to twist it to mean something about your invented members of the university term shows how desperate you are to win at something.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 03-10-15 at 07:02 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •