Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 457

Thread: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

  1. #161
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    48,143

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    These weren't actions by individual members. These activities were organized by the fraternities. The chanting was accepted behavior within the fraternity. The terrorizing of non-white students was accepted behavior in the other chapters. Again, you're ignoring the obvious so that you can preserve your own pristine memories of college life.
    One more time. The local fraternity in Oklahoma is not the national fraternity. There is no evidence that the SAE national fraternity organized that bus trip, and no evidence that they require their members to be racist, and no evidence that they teach their members to "terrorize" non-white students.

    There is no "obvious" here other than you repetitively making the claim.

  2. #162
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    8,851

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    How so? The university has every right to kick this frat out. I would too. Who wants a bunch of backwards morons running around giving a bad name to your school? Well a racist name. Frats do that anyway.
    I guarantee Univ officials knew about this stuff for years and did nothing about it, second as a taxpayer funded entity if they allow frats to be affiliated they need to allow all points of view without bias amongst them
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  3. #163
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    8,851

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Thought police? The hell? So an organization severing ties with another organization that poorly represents it is being thought police? Do we all have to keep every social connection open until the end of time, no matter what?

    If a church severed ties with a secular aid organization for that organization's stance on homosexuality, is the church being 'the thought police'?Ridiculous.
    Churches are not publically funded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  4. #164
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    06-20-18 @ 07:51 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    10,591

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    One more time. The local fraternity in Oklahoma is not the national fraternity. There is no evidence that the SAE national fraternity organized that bus trip, and no evidence that they require their members to be racist, and no evidence that they teach their members to "terrorize" non-white students.

    There is no "obvious" here other than you repetitively making the claim.
    There is a difference, I realise some have difficulty understanding nuance, between "requiring" and "accepting".
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #165
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    8,851

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    One can think whatever they want. It's probably best not to speak those thoughts so loudly when people are filming and your education is at stake. You get back from life what you put out there.
    Ones education should not be at stake for being a racist, racists pay taxes too to support the university system, besides if they'd been chanting slurs against white people the Univ would've done zero about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  6. #166
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    06-20-18 @ 07:51 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    10,591

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Churches are not publically funded.
    Really? Tax exemptions for church owned businesses is not "public funding", tax dollars for church-run schools is not "public funding", allowing churches to use public property without charge is not "public funding"?

    I think we have different definitions of the words
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #167
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,639

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    One more time. The local fraternity in Oklahoma is not the national fraternity. There is no evidence that the SAE national fraternity organized that bus trip, and no evidence that they require their members to be racist, and no evidence that they teach their members to "terrorize" non-white students.

    There is no "obvious" here other than you repetitively making the claim.
    Nobody has claimed that the organization is sending memos down to the fraternities or any similar thing. Nobody has even argued that they're doing it internally or through any official channels. What is being argued is that the fraternity encourages it given then evidence available. That evidence being that various chapters across various states have engaged in the SAME activities. Every single time they've done so, they'd one it in a situation where other members are present, and where is clear that this behavior is acceptable when the cameras aren't on. Furthermore, the racism actually part of the group dynamic (as evidenced by the video). Again, this is happening across various states and various campuses that are otherwise unrelated EXCEPT for the fact that all of the fraternities are members of the same group. That evidence PROVES that it's part of the organization's culture. Why you ignore the obvious is beyond me.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

  8. #168
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    8,851

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Really? Tax exemptions for church owned businesses is not "public funding", tax dollars for church-run schools is not "public funding", allowing churches to use public property without charge is not "public funding"?

    I think we have different definitions of the words
    Tax breaks is not funding. Nor is reimbursement for services provided.

    Churches (and all religious structures) are exempted from property tax and are given the exact same exemption any other non profit can get. They are not an arm of government and do not generally recieve money for nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  9. #169
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    48,143

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Really? Tax exemptions for church owned businesses is not "public funding", tax dollars for church-run schools is not "public funding", allowing churches to use public property without charge is not "public funding"?

    I think we have different definitions of the words
    Who defines tax exemptions as "public funding"? I'd like to see that.

    Every definition of public funding I've ever seen in my life doesn't include tax exemption. It always defines public funding as the government providing money to the general public.

  10. #170
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    48,143

    Re: Univ. of Oklahoma severs ties with frat after racist chant

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Nobody has claimed that the organization is sending memos down to the fraternities or any similar thing. Nobody has even argued that they're doing it internally or through any official channels. What is being argued is that the fraternity encourages it given then evidence available. That evidence being that various chapters across various states have engaged in the SAME activities. Every single time they've done so, they'd one it in a situation where other members are present, and where is clear that this behavior is acceptable when the cameras aren't on. Furthermore, the racism actually part of the group dynamic (as evidenced by the video). Again, this is happening across various states and various campuses that are otherwise unrelated EXCEPT for the fact that all of the fraternities are members of the same group. That evidence PROVES that it's part of the organization's culture. Why you ignore the obvious is beyond me.
    So you're finally admitting that there is zero evidence that the national organization promotes racism.

Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •